fee avoidance

Old October 29th 03, 12:48 PM
Bob Peterson

Default fee avoidance

If I were to list an item with a BIN price of say $0.01, and a s/h fee of
$10, would that be fee avoidance?

Old October 29th 03, 01:32 PM
Bobby Hughes

If I were to list an item with a BIN price of say $0.01, and a s/h fee of
$10, would that be fee avoidance?

Yes it would under Seller Rules- Circumventing Fees
"Unreasonable shipping or handling costs - listings with low prices but
unreasonably high shipping or handling costs. "

Old October 29th 03, 03:31 PM
DONDI3

In article , "Bob Peterson"
writes:

If I were to list an item with a BIN price of say $0.01, and a s/h fee of
$10, would that be fee avoidance?

Most likely, but not necessarily. Fee avoidance is not based on value of the
item being auctioned. Technically, if you auctioned an item WORTH only 1c that
weighed a great deal and cost $10 to ship and package (rusty anvil?) that, in
my opinion, would not be fee avoidance. Now, whether ebay would share that
opinion is debatable.

I can see this happening in the case where the item may have no value to most
everyone, but possibly someone would want it. The issue, however, is why have
a BIN at all? If you're trying to get rid of it, just run it with a minimum
bid of one cent and let the market decide what it's worth. That would
strengthen your argument against fee avoidance, since you could rightly say you
thought the thing was worth $100 or whatever.

Dondi3
DONDI enterprises. BUY, SELL, TRADE. RARE COINS & PRECIOUS METALS
Member COINNET, CSNS, ANA, INA, MOON, ILNA.
Old October 29th 03, 03:48 PM
Ed Hendricks

"Bob Peterson" wrote in message

If I were to list an item with a BIN price of say $0.01, and a s/h
fee of $10, would that be fee avoidance?

Depending on the actual S&H costs incurred, the scenario you describe could
actually be a case of paying too many fees. :-) My question would be, if
the item is only worth 1¢ why pay the fee for a BIN auction? Just list it
with an opening bid of 1¢. The S&H charges, in my mind, are a totally
separate issue from the opening or BIN price. Of course eBay might have a
different mind set.

--
Ed Hendricks
ANA# R178621

Old October 29th 03, 08:29 PM
Byron L. Reed

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 06:48:54 -0600, "Bob Peterson"
wrote:

If I were to list an item with a BIN price of say $0.01, and a s/h fee of
$10, would that be fee avoidance?

Not if the actual costs of sending the item are reasonably close to $10,
including labor, packaging, etc.

For a UNC 1934 Lincoln dropped into an envelope with a 37¢ stamp it would
be fee avoidance. For the same coin sent registered it would be perfectly
acceptable.

BLReed

To email me click he http://tinyurl.com/nd66
For collector coins and supplies at fair prices: http://tinyurl.com/pt9r