In Help Needed - Central Bank of China notes

Old June 1st 04, 04:53 PM
Michael E. Marotta

Default In Help Needed - Central Bank of China notes

"JOHN AHNEN" wrote:
I have 6 consecutively numbered 10 Yuan notes from the Central Bank of China
... They appear to be in uncirculated condition with no marks or folds.

But as you say, they may not be genuine. I have seen these appear
recently in several dealers' junk boxes and foreign notes boxes,
depending on how optimistic the dealer is. I have some interest in
these kinds of notes from Word War II China, but only as a tie-in to
the TERRY AND THE PIRATES comics and movies, and thereby, originally a
tie-in to my aviation collectibles. The point is that without expert
advice, I dismiss them. Obviously genuine uncs exist. However, it is
my opinion that the ones I saw were made either during the collapse of
the Kwomintang -- and so were made with reckless abandon -- or else
were made the day before yesterday to be sold on eBay.

We see these kinds of notes from another context, large denomination
gold-backed notes from Germany and Russia dated just before World War
I (1914, 1911). It seems to me that the failing governments just
printed them as a stopgap. Neither Russia nor Germany could have made
good on them when they were issued. You find them now from nicely
above fine to uncirculated, often folded, sometimes not. They are
beautiful! Large, heavy, complexly engraved with intricate scrolls
and bold vignettes of allegorical monarchic deities, they are worth
having at the price of a dollar or three, more by way of thanking the
dealer for offering than reflecting their "true" value.

You know, it's kind of funny, but those worthless inflation notes from
all over actually take on their greatest values in the junkboxes.

Michael
ANA R-162953