Continue APS membership?

Old October 13th 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace
VictorRCurious

Default Continue APS membership?

The OP did not state where he lived.
If he lived in Canada, then, regrettably membership in APS is almost useless.
For example, Canadians get ripped off for shipments of APS circuit books,
since the communist government of Canada forces them to pay GST/HST on the
full catalog value of the stamps in the circuit books. They may then apply for
a refund, which they MAY get 6-12 months later, if they are lucky.

Quite apart from the skyhigh costs to ship them back to the USA, from Canada!!

Since there are now no longer any good stamp dealers left in Canada, now that
MTM of Montreal seems to have folded, dealing with US dealers presents serious
legal implications for Canadian collectors, being in a foreign country.

All in all, if one lives in the USA, perhaps there are benefits to APS
membership.
For Canadians and others living outside the US, perhaps there are better ways
to spend money.

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 08:54:37 -0800, Bill Sharpe ,
in wrote:
Ken Knecht wrote:
I'm looking at the $35 APS invoice I got the other day and wondering why I
should renew. I'm about a year behind in reading the magazine which I find
mostly uninteresting. I have my stamp insurance elsewhere. I haven't worked
on my stamps for almost a year. I'm retired on SS and $35 is a significant
amount of money for me. If I can't think of a good reason I think I'll drop
them. Does anyone wish to change my mind?

APS offers a number of other services besides the magazine. However, if
you aren't working with your stamps now and aren't reading the magazine
I can understand why you might not want to spend the money.

Bill