Franklin Mint offering a Morgan Dollar for $29.95...

Old March 15th 10, 08:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

Default Franklin Mint offering a Morgan Dollar for $29.95...

"MKW" wrote in message
But there is nothing wrong with a company packaging US coins into a
themed set. The old ancient coins FM used to sell were assembled into
some classy collections...like Coins of Mt Olympus. $10-$20 price
difference is not grossly overpriced unless you are a cheap person
that expects everything to be a bargain. If I wanted to build a set
of serious Morgans I would go to a dealer. But thats not my goal with
purchasing an item such as this.

There's nothing at all "classy" about FM's Morgan dollar offer. It is
designed to attract ignorant and naive people who will believe everything
they read in the ad and think it provides an elusive opportunity to get in
on something historical. FM should stick to making medals and diecasts and
stay away from these deceptive overpriced packages ales of stuff they don't
produce.

I suppose you'd think that anyone looking for the traditional discount on
their new car is a "cheap person", too, and should be satisfied with paying
the sticker price if they like the car.

Old March 15th 10, 08:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

I have seen worse Morgans sell for the same price on Ebay. The price
isn't that absurd. There are plenty of dealers that would see it for
the same price.

An ad more in line with classic FM but for the colorized product theme
which is popular is this http://www.franklinmint.com/product1...oduct_ID=10018.

The last owners of FM liked the methods used in the Morgan Dollar ad.
The ads will most likely be re-worked but the focus is on other things
given the economy.

I only got the Morgan for a specific reason. If you recall I was the
first to say that the ad lines were cheesy. However the Rockwell
Print that came with the shipment is excellent and worth the price
alone. That print was an original by Rockwell for TFM in about 1976
to send to FM Collector Society Members. The original hung in the FM
Museum lobby for years and I had many good visits there with my
family. It was a great place full of the stuff TFM made. The great
audubon wildlife sculpts, medals, etc. Thats why I got it. I don't
care whether the Morgan is worth $1 or 1 cent or $500. I will say,
however, it looks identical to the one shown...date and all.

Old March 15th 10, 09:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 16:20:47 -0400, "Bruce Remick"
wrote:

"MKW" wrote in message
[...]

Funny you should mention automobiles. Automobile advertisements are
designed to make you believe that you will be young, sexy, successful,
and super-cool if you own that car. The offers of rebates, low down
payments, zero interest, and low monthly payments are all followed by
an asterisk that indicates that you probably won't qualify for that
offer. No payment for six months, but the interest accumulates.
Automobile ads are glossier, but no more honest than Franklin Mint's.

You will pay sticker price, or close to it, if you don't shop around.
No different from paying sticker price at FM instead of shopping
around coin dealers.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old March 15th 10, 09:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Scurvy Dog

I'll just come right out and say I think you are completely full of ****.

I only got the Morgan for a specific reason. If you recall I was the
first to say that the ad lines were cheesy. However the Rockwell
Print that came with the shipment is excellent and worth the price
alone.

I'm sure it will look great alongside your "dogs playing poker" print and your
Elvis on black velvet.

We get the message: you're an idiot, you're content to be an idiot and you plan
to stay an idiot.

Old March 16th 10, 12:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

wrote:

"MKW" wrote in message
[...]

At least 90% of ads embellish their product well beyond reality. Make that
91%. A legimate producer of quality medals shouldn't have to.

You will pay sticker price, or close to it, if you don't shop around.
No different from paying sticker price at FM instead of shopping
around coin dealers.

I have bought many new cars since the early 1960's and have never paid
sticker price. It's a rare individual who does. Not always a need to shop
around. Any car dealer in a competitive area who won't bargain won't stay
in business long.

I would have no problem with paying list price for a legitimate medal or die
cast designed and produced by the Franklin Mint if it caught my eye as
attractive and I felt it was worth the asking price. I presume they don't
offer discounts. I also would have no other option for getting the piece.
I would NOT pay their price for a contrived and hyped Morgan dollar package
that even a tiny bit of looking would show could be found much cheaper most
elsewhere.

Old March 16th 10, 12:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote:

"MKW" wrote in message
[...]

I agree completely with your philosophy and cleave to it whenever I can. I
guess I don't understand why you are insisting that others follow suit, or
berating them if they don't. Bottom line, it's a Barnum and Bailey world
for all of us in the end.

James the Clown

Old March 16th 10, 01:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

wrote:

"MKW" wrote in message
[...]

I don't mean to philosophize, but I guess I do sometimes. Some things just
rile me and here's one forum we have to to debate in. Or not. My own views
are fair game (ouch!) for being berated. Sure wouldn't be the first time
here. Keeps the wheels oiled.

Old March 16th 10, 01:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jon Purkey

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 17:09:06 -0400, tony cooper
wrote:

You and Mr Remick seem to regard coins only as an investment. There
are people who are not interested in the investment angle but want to
own and hold a piece of history or an object that has some aesthetic
appeal to them. They are not concerned about saving $9.00 to own
something they want and they don't feel foolish for paying a small
premium for it.

I know some people are willing to pay a premium. But companies like
The Franklin Mint that sell coins, often in collector panels, make it
sound like the buyer is getting a great deal. So I would imagine that
many customers do not KNOW they are paying a premium. I have never
checked to see what the re-sell value on those coin+stamp panels are,
but if it is anything like collector plates then it is probably not
even close to the original $19.95/$29.95 price for some coins.

I see the same hype in advertising for colorized and gold-plated coins
that make it sound as if the 24K gold-plating or colorizing adds a lot
of value to the coin.

I admit that I have bought a few gold-plated coins since I do think
they can look quite nice, esp. if the coin is BU. But I have never
paid more than a few cents to maybe a couple dollars over face value.
I bought a gold-plated Ike for $1.04 on eBay that probably sold for
$9.95 or $19.95 originally. It's a beautiful coin, even if it has
little value over $1.And with the current value of gold I may have
even paid less than spot for the gold. I currently have the coin
displayed in a "Ft. Knox" display box that I bought from coinland.com.
Yeah, I paid 10 times more for the presentation than I did the coin,
but it looks nice in the case which I can always use in the future for
other coins that fit in a H38 air-title.
Old March 16th 10, 01:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote:

[...]

The world is awash in advertising hype of all kinds - political, religious,
and commercial - and it is getting worse with each passing day. Every day
it is harder and harder to separate fact from myth. The objective of
teaching students to become critical thinkers sees much ink in published
education standards, but its implementation and testing are normally
assigned very low priority, as doing it properly would run counter to the
objectives of some very wealthy and powerful people. I fear that this trend
will end extremely badly.

James the Crepe Hanger