2009 Proof Set Bigger and Costlier

Old May 29th 09, 01:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Arizona Coin Collector

Default 2009 Proof Set Bigger and Costlier

FROM:
http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/...ArticleId=6734

2009 Proof Set Bigger and Costlier

By Numismatic News
May 28, 2009

The set is getting larger and the cost higher for the
2009 United States Mint Proof Set® as compared to the
2008 set.

(Image of 2009 Proof Set)
http://www.numismaster.com/images/up...argImg6734.jpg

The 18-coin 2009 proof set, which went on sale June 1,
is priced at $29.95.

Last year's 14-coin set cost $26.95.

Added this year is an extra quarter and three
additional Lincoln cents.

The full set includes four Presidential dollars, the
Native American dollar, a half dollar, six District
of Columbia and U.S. Territories quarters, one dime,
one nickel and four Lincoln cents.

All coins in the set have the "S" mintmark for San
Francisco.

The Mint says the coins are sealed in four protective
lenses to preserve the mirror-like fields and frosted
design devices that are achieved by their striking
with highly polished dies.

To order visit the Mint's Web site at
http://www.usmint.gov , or telephone (800) USA-MINT.

Old May 29th 09, 03:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

Arizona Coin Collector wrote:
FROM:
http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/...ArticleId=6734

2009 Proof Set Bigger and Costlier

By Numismatic News
May 28, 2009

The set is getting larger and the cost higher for the
2009 United States Mint Proof Set� as compared to the
2008 set.

(Image of 2009 Proof Set)
http://www.numismaster.com/images/up...argImg6734.jpg

The 18-coin 2009 proof set, which went on sale June 1,
is priced at $29.95.

Dateline May 28, 2009, and they WENT on sale June 1? Looking around
for Mr. Peabody and Sherman.
Old May 29th 09, 09:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
BigDog

http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/...cle&ArticleId=...

2009 Proof Set Bigger and Costlier

By Numismatic News
May 28, 2009

The set is getting larger and the cost higher for the
2009 United States Mint Proof Set as compared to the
2008 set.

(Image of 2009 Proof Set)
http://www.numismaster.com/images/up...argImg6734.jpg

The 18-coin 2009 proof set, which went on sale June 1,
is priced at $29.95.

Dateline May 28, 2009, and they WENT on sale June 1? Looking around
for Mr. Peabody and Sherman.- Hide quoted text -

They don't show on the Mint site yet, but it does say they shipped
mine on May 28, but can't look up the tracking # yet. Then they have
the "5 to 6 week" shipping delay on the home page. Not sure what the
shipped on my subscription...They haven't charged my CC.

Bigdog
Old May 30th 09, 01:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On May 29, 4:21�pm, BigDog wrote:
On May 29, 9:34�am, Jud wrote:

[...]

Bigdog- Hide quoted text -

I haven't ordered mine, either (yet), but this story caught my eye.
If we think about it, the only current coin that hasn't had the snot
beat out of it since SQ's began (that's 1999) is the dime. Except for
the silver-to-clad transition in 1964/1965, it's been consistent for
63 years. Even the Bicentennial didn't affect it one iota. Maybe I
shouldn't say anything, though. Congress might want a pat on the back
for the good job they do, and direct the Mint to do a Congressional
Commemorative for all Senators and Representatives since 1789.

Jerry
Another series I wouldn't collect.
Old May 30th 09, 02:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Jerry Dennis wrote:
On May 29, 4:21?pm, BigDog wrote:
On May 29, 9:34?am, Jud wrote:

[...]

I don't know that I would even touch the likes of those without rubber
gloves on and a bottle of disinfectant always at the ready. Normally I
would jump to the defense of change and diversity in coin design, but I must
agree with your assessment. I'm even starting to consider abandoning my
collection of Presidential and Native American dollars. I mean, cripes, I
have to tolerate all sorts of mottoes in my face while I squint at the edges
of those in a usually vain attempt to read the date and mintmark, and both
series have experienced change midcourse, because of what some politician
thinks. And I don't dare suggest anymore that it's time for FDR's profile
to disappear, out of fear that some real monstrosity would take its place.

James

Old May 30th 09, 06:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On May 30, 9:14�am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
Jerry Dennis wrote:
On May 29, 4:21?pm, BigDog wrote:
On May 29, 9:34?am, Jud wrote:

[...]

James- Hide quoted text -

Please don't anyone take this as racist, but this is too good to pass
up.

Let's drop FDR and replace him with Obama when the time presents
itself. (Go OT) When I was still on active duty, a Puerto Rican co-
worker complained that there was only Hispanic Week while there was a
full Black History Month. A black co-worker said, "Yeah, and it's the
shortest month." I'm sure by the time we could have an Obama dime,
the cent and nickel will be gone, and someone would complain about it
being the smallest denomination.

(Change to political commentary) Now, anyone who wants to complain
about the economy going into the toilet because of all of the
government's spending, do it here.

Jerry
Won't touch politics on this one. :-)
Old May 30th 09, 08:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Jerry Dennis wrote:
On May 29, 4:21?pm, BigDog wrote:
On May 29, 9:34?am, Jud wrote:

Arizona Coin Collector wrote:
FROM:
http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/...cle&ArticleId=...

2009 Proof Set Bigger and Costlier

By Numismatic News
May 28, 2009

The set is getting larger and the cost higher for the
2009 United States Mint Proof Set as compared to the
2008 set.

(Image of 2009 Proof Set)
http://www.numismaster.com/images/up...argImg6734.jpg

The 18-coin 2009 proof set, which went on sale June 1,
is priced at $29.95.

Dateline May 28, 2009, and they WENT on sale June 1? Looking
around for Mr. Peabody and Sherman.- Hide quoted text -

[...]

The economy went into the toidy in spite of government spending. And that's
all I'll say until I can find my asbestos suit.

James the Feuerfest

Old May 30th 09, 08:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jon Purkey

On Fri, 29 May 2009 13:21:19 -0700 (PDT), BigDog
wrote:

On May 29, 9:34*am, Jud wrote:
[...]

Well, my "Formative Years" Lincoln rolls were shipped the other day,
instead of July as was originally stated, so maybe the mint has hired
more staff in their shipping department?

Anyway, I think I will hold off and get the silver proof set this
year, even though I'll imagine it will be priced at least $49.95. I
have already bought a clad territory quarters proof set so don't want
to get two again.

Old May 31st 09, 08:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

The US Mint needs better proof set options. Look at all the nice sets
you can buy from British Royal Mint or Royal Canadian Mint. They have
stunning $100+ proof sets. There should be an annual option of a
delux proof set with all silver commems in it from the year...with a
special mint mark or something.
Old June 2nd 09, 07:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jon Purkey

On Sun, 31 May 2009 12:55:03 -0700 (PDT), MKW
wrote:

The US Mint needs better proof set options. Look at all the nice sets
you can buy from British Royal Mint or Royal Canadian Mint. They have
stunning $100+ proof sets. There should be an annual option of a
delux proof set with all silver commems in it from the year...with a
special mint mark or something.

They used to sell Prestige proof sets that had the commemorative coins
released that year, or at least some of them.

2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle - MS not proof Thomas N Mathberg Coins 15 March 9th 09 02:02 AM
2009 Proof Quarters Jud Coins 1 February 4th 09 01:22 AM
Who's bigger, PCGS or NGC? wolfee Coins 17 October 23rd 07 02:26 PM
one bigger name today Sue H Autographs 2 May 9th 05 05:27 PM
Te EU will be much bigger in minutes Victor Manta General Discussion 1 April 30th 04 09:55 PM