Who the hell is this PBGS?! Any connection to PCGS?

Old May 16th 09, 08:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_8_]

Default Who the hell is this PBGS?! Any connection to PCGS?

Ο "southont" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
The high cost is mostly brokerage fees. USPS items go through Canada
Customs and if held for taxes there is only a nominal fee of $5. UPS
brokerage fees on the other hand are steep. I think most vendors do not
realize what a substantial cost difference there is to the customer.

An excellent analysis!

I often pay a higher price just to get USPS shipping. In your case I would
call the mint and explain you were not aware there would be brokerage fees
over and above GST PST and request USPS or a refund.

I think it will make no difference, after all the Mint is not known to
listen to customer complaints...:-)
I think they will refund the cost of the coins, maybe minus shipping.
In the future I'll take Bruce's advice and will find a friend in the US to
order the coins I want from the Mint and later sent them to me.
Or I'll buy them at the secondary market, call me ebay;-)

rgrds

"gogu" wrote in message
Ο "Kyle Mutcher" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
It's Pitney Bowes Government Services and they are the mail-order and
shipping for the US mint.

Thanks Kyle!
Have you a possible explanation about the huge cost I was asked to pay?
Of course I understand that cost was high mainly because of the UPS
tariffs regarding customs clearance, depositing, etc but again US$156.00
seems quite high...
Do you know what happens now that I refused to accept the coins?
Is the Mint going to reimburse the amount of money they've charged my
credit card, maybe minus shipping cost? Or they are going to try and send
the coins again?
Thanks in advance!

gogu wrote:
OK, an update:
in a coins forum I found a discussion about this company and it seems
to be a company commissioned my the Mint to ship their coins!
In that forum I saw a posting by Frank Provasec, so I'd be more than
grateful if he could give me some more info!

tnx

Old May 16th 09, 08:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Thomas A.

gogu wrote:
OK, an update:
in a coins forum I found a discussion about this company and it
seems to be a company commissioned my the Mint to ship their
coins! In that forum I saw a posting by Frank Provasec, so I'd be more
than grateful if he could give me some more info!

tnx

I think this is worth a phone call to the US Mint. Not even they can think
$156 shipping for a $99 package is reasonable. Someone has screwed up
somewhere.

Old May 16th 09, 09:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_8_]

Ο "Thomas A." έγραψε στο μήνυμα
m...
gogu wrote:

I think this is worth a phone call to the US Mint. Not even they can
think $156 shipping for a $99 package is reasonable. Someone has screwed
up somewhere.

Well, it was not shipping because shipping cost was included in the
US$99.00!
As poster "southont" pointed out they were excessive brokerage fees by UPS,
the carrier Pitney Bowes Government Services chose to ship my coins to
Greece!
The problem is that till now the Mint always used USPS (never had a
problem!) and they didn't inform me for the use of UPS and the eventual
brokerage fees!

rgrds

Old May 16th 09, 10:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
howard

any chance (of course you paid with a credit card) of not accepting it and
starting a "non-received" complaint with the CC company.
not exactly their fault, but the fault of the "new shipper"
end result may be the shipment languishing somewhere, but at least you do
not have the major hit for taxes and the like.

Old May 17th 09, 04:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_8_]

Ο "howard" fishfeeder@gmail(dot)com έγραψε στο μήνυμα
news:XZ6dnaiGUtrospLXnZ2dnUVZ_vqdnZ2d@scnresearch. com...
any chance (of course you paid with a credit card) of not accepting it and
starting a "non-received" complaint with the CC company.

Hmmm...I am not sure if it would have any chances...
After all I placed an order with the Mint and they've shipped my order...

not exactly their fault, but the fault of the "new shipper"
end result may be the shipment languishing somewhere, but at least you do
not have the major hit for taxes and the like.

Of course I don't and anyway they should let me know that they are going to
change their usual shipping method!
This is an essential "detail" (I was aware of the high costs courier
companies are practicing, even if I was not aware that UPS had *that* high
costs!) and if I knew about it I'd never order those coins!
After all we are talking about 2009 issues which I can easily order on ebay!

rgrds

Old May 20th 09, 04:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
George D[_5_]

I think this is worth a phone call to the US Mint. Not even they can think
$156 shipping for a $99 package is reasonable. Someone has screwed up
somewhere.

The only problem with this is that you need another number than the one
that you order coins from, that number is answered by Pitney Bowes not
the mint.

Pitney Bowes or PBGS is the company that sent my UHR coin with no
signature required and it was left on my front porch by UPS. The book
was shipped separately a few weeks later and required a signature.

George

--
Government is a voracious monster that must have your labor to control
YOU! Your money is your liberty. The taxes you pay gently enslave you,
Old May 22nd 09, 09:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jon Purkey

On Sat, 16 May 2009 23:38:58 +0300, "gogu"
wrote:

? "Thomas A." ?????? ??? ??????
om...
gogu wrote:

I think this is worth a phone call to the US Mint. Not even they can
think $156 shipping for a $99 package is reasonable. Someone has screwed
up somewhere.

Well, it was not shipping because shipping cost was included in the
US$99.00!
As poster "southont" pointed out they were excessive brokerage fees by UPS,
the carrier Pitney Bowes Government Services chose to ship my coins to
Greece!
The problem is that till now the Mint always used USPS (never had a
problem!) and they didn't inform me for the use of UPS and the eventual
brokerage fees!

My most recent order from the mint (arrived today after just 20 days
so they are getting a bit faster), although from PBGC, was shipped by
USPS. Maybe UPS is being used for international shipping or for higher
priced items? I wonder if you call in your order whether you could
chose what carrier to use?

Old May 22nd 09, 10:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_8_]

? "Jon Purkey" ?????? ??? ??????
On Sat, 16 May 2009 23:38:58 +0300, "gogu"
wrote:

? "Thomas A." ?????? ??? ??????
news:AICdnTlQr4LYipLXnZ2dnUVZ_jadnZ2d@earthlink. com...
gogu wrote:

[...]

It doesn't matter by now, I refused the packet and my credit card is not
charged at all (they've sent the coins without charging my cc! Can you
believe that?!).
From now on I'll buy my coins on ebay.

What the hell is this? Linda Coda Coins 6 January 2nd 06 10:37 PM
What The Hell Is This??? Phil DeMayo Coins 3 January 20th 05 02:22 PM
What the hell?????? Wheeler Coins 49 May 28th 04 08:02 PM
Hell banknotes None Paper Money 1 February 10th 04 12:27 PM
DAMN AOL TO HELL! Fred A. Murphy Coins 87 November 6th 03 05:44 PM