where to find book in portuguese

Old November 9th 04, 07:35 PM
karen

Default where to find book in portuguese

sorry if this is out of place on this group. i am looking for a copy
of 'los varios efectos de amor en cinco novelas ejemplares' by alonso
alcala y herrera. one of the novelas in it is called 'los dos soles
de toledo.' i tried amazon, barnes and noble, the strand, and a
couple websites for "rare book stores," but turned up nothing. i
suspect i have to find the spanish or portuguese equivalent of amazon,
but no luck finding that either. google searches for the title and
the author turn up very few results, none of them with links to
purchase. can anyone advise me?
thanks,
-k
btw, i do not speak portuguese, and my spanish is pretty basic. i am
looking for the book to give to someone else.
Old November 9th 04, 08:13 PM
Kris Baker

"karen" wrote in message
m...
sorry if this is out of place on this group. i am looking for a copy
of 'los varios efectos de amor en cinco novelas ejemplares' by alonso
alcala y herrera. one of the novelas in it is called 'los dos soles
de toledo.' i tried amazon, barnes and noble, the strand, and a
couple websites for "rare book stores," but turned up nothing. i
suspect i have to find the spanish or portuguese equivalent of amazon,
but no luck finding that either. google searches for the title and
the author turn up very few results, none of them with links to
purchase. can anyone advise me?
thanks,
-k
btw, i do not speak portuguese, and my spanish is pretty basic. i am
looking for the book to give to someone else.

There's ONE copy for sale (listed on two different bookseller sites).

http://snipurl.com/aink

If this is to be a gift to a beloved, I predict it's a test.

Kris

Old November 11th 04, 03:19 AM
John Yamamoto-Wilson

Karen wrote:

i am looking for a copy of 'los varios efectos de amor
en cinco novelas ejemplares' by alonso
alcala y herrera.

Just to clarify, Alonso Alcala[accented] y Herrera was a Portuguese of
Castilian descent. His _Jardim anagrammatico_ (Lisbon 1654) included poems
in Portuguese and Latin, as well as Spanish, but _Varios efectos de amor en
cinco novelas ejemplares_ (Lisbon 1641 and 1671), was titled and written in
Spanish.

Kris Baker gave you a link to a copy of the original 1641 edition, but as
you can see it's very expensive. There was at least one later reprint
(Barcelona, 1840), and if you could track down a copy that would doubtless
be much more reasonably priced.

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

Old November 11th 04, 03:15 PM
John Yamamoto-Wilson

Karen wrote:

one of the novelas in it is called 'los dos soles
de toledo.'

If it's of any help, the text of _Los dos soles de Toledo_ is given online
he

http://tinyurl.com/49ryh

More pertinent, perhaps, is the information given on that site, that this
work is incorporated in Evangelina Rodríguez, _Novelas amorosas de diversos
ingenios del siglo XVII_, Madrid, 1986. This is volume 155 of the Castalia
series of Spanish classics. I can't say whether this work contains any other
of the novelas in _Varios efectos_, but this appears to be the one you are
most interested in.

There is a copy of Evangelina Rodríguez's book currently being offered on
ABE (http://dogbert.abebooks.com/abe/Book...s?bi=133923260). I think this
is probably your best bet. If not, a bit of googling may well turn up
another copy.

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

Old November 13th 04, 12:22 AM
karen

If this is to be a gift to a beloved, I predict it's a test

what do you mean?

Richard C. Ramer handles both rare and RECENT Portuguese

publications:
http://www.livroraro.com

thank you, i have sent an inquiry.

If it's of any help, the text of _Los dos soles de Toledo_ is given

online
he
http://tinyurl.com/49ryh

thank you, i had already looked at this, but i couldn't tell if that
was giving the actual portuguese or a spanish translation. i guess
you're telling me it's the original portuguese.

this work is incorporated in Evangelina Rodríguez, _Novelas amorosas

de diversos
ingenios del siglo XVII_, Madrid, 1986. This is volume 155 of the
Castalia
series of Spanish classics. I can't say whether this work contains any
other
of the novelas in _Varios efectos_, but this appears to be the one you
are
most interested in.

no, i'm interested in the whole five novelas. i included the only
title i knew in the posting just to give as much information as
possible.

mostly, i am interested in this because i find it very interesting
that it's a lipogram. i have a friend who i think would appreciate
the writing constraint and who also speaks portuguese. but i
definitely am NOT prepared to spend seventy-five hundred dollars on
it!!! (is that the test? how much i will spend for this guy?)

thanks all you guys,
-karen
Old November 13th 04, 08:12 AM
John Yamamoto-Wilson

I wrote:

If it's of any help, the text of _Los dos soles de Toledo_

is given online he
http://tinyurl.com/49ryh

Karen replied:

thank you, i had already looked at this, but i couldn't tell
if that was giving the actual portuguese or a spanish translation.
i guess you're telling me it's the original portuguese.

No, I'm telling you the book was published in Portugal but written in
Spanish, and this is the *original Spanish*. I don't think it *could* be
translated, since, as you say, it's a lipogram - the entire piece is written
without once using the letter "a". Even with two languages as similar as
Spanish and Portuguese, it would be practically impossible for a translator
to emulate that feat.

i'm interested in the whole five novelas. i included the
only title i knew in the posting just to give as much
information as possible.

OK. Firstly, the five titles are as follows:

Los dos soles de Toledo (lacking the letter "a")
La carroza con las damas (lacking the letter "e")
La perla de Portugal (lacking the letter "i")
La peregrina ermitaña (lacking the letter "o")
La serrana de Sintra (lacking the letter "u")

Secondly, I checked up and confirmed that Evangelina Rodríguez, _Novelas
amorosas de diversos ingenios del siglo XVII_, Madrid, 1986 only contains
the first of these five novelas. That one that gets a bit more attention
because in Spanish "a" is the hardest letter to do without.

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

Old November 13th 04, 08:36 PM
karen

thank you, i had already looked at this, but i couldn't tell
if that was giving the actual portuguese or a spanish translation.
i guess you're telling me it's the original portuguese.

No, I'm telling you the book was published in Portugal but written in
Spanish, and this is the *original Spanish*. I don't think it *could* be
translated, since, as you say, it's a lipogram - the entire piece is written
without once using the letter "a". Even with two languages as similar as
Spanish and Portuguese, it would be practically impossible for a translator
to emulate that feat.

it has been done. gilbert adair translated george perec's _la
disparition' (which does not use the letter e) from french into
english. since 'disappearence' contains two e's, the english version,
which preserved the original's lipogramatic nature, was entitled _a
void._

-k
Old November 14th 04, 01:06 AM
John Yamamoto-Wilson

I wrote:

I don't think it *could* be translated, since, as you say, it's a
lipogram - the entire piece is written without once using
the letter "a". Even with two languages as similar as
Spanish and Portuguese, it would be practically impossible
for a translator to emulate that feat.

Karen replied:

it has been done. gilbert adair translated george perec's
_la disparition' (which does not use the letter e) from
french into english.

Ah, but it's good to know there are people out there scaling the peaks of
human achievement!

since 'disappearence' contains two e's

Oops!

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

Another book find BookEditions Books 5 July 8th 04 08:59 PM
rec.collecting.books FAQ Hardy-Boys.net Books 0 May 9th 04 08:39 PM
[FAQ] rec.collecting.books FAQ Mike Berro Books 0 December 26th 03 08:18 PM
autographs dani.steiner General 0 July 19th 03 06:08 AM
Reducing Autograph Collection dani.steiner Autographs 0 July 16th 03 02:29 PM