Krause Book: What happened to Somalia?

Old November 18th 05, 07:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money

Default Krause Book: What happened to Somalia?

Good day,

Just now I noticed that the whole country of Somalia listing is missing from
SCWPM 11th Edition (1961-date). I'm talking about the World Paper Money
catalogue for 2005 modern issues. There are many more blunders, but this one
seems to be the largest an really unpardonnable blunder. I think I'll return
this book to Amazon.com because the whole country can not be missing like
this.

My inquiry on signatures numbered, but not shown was ignored by Krause.
I think it is time to stop buying their books... I only buy now once in 5
years
and I notice that they (Krause Publications) make you buy the catalogues not
only every year, but both editions, because in one edition they refer
descriptions to some banknotes that are listed in another (pre-1961)
edition.

I'll ask Krause to send me a corrected book.

Old November 18th 05, 07:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money

Good luck getting Krause to send you a corrected book. Let us know if they
comply.

I can understand that a catalog with so many entries will have some errors,
but it's unforgivable that Krause has not fixed those errors that readers
such as you and I have brought to their attention years ago.

It's especially annoying since they run little boxes on some pages asking
readers to alert them to problems, then they just ignore our letters and
emails.

Old November 18th 05, 08:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money

Actually I just called them. The guy (Mr. Cuhaj) with not so pleasant voice told me they did not reprint the
book and will not do that. It is a yearly publication and he suggested that I wait until next year and offered to send me the
missing pages by mail which is fine.

I suggested that krause posts all the ERRATA on their website so that people can print it out from their website.
Also my suggestion is to deliver the missing pages and errata to Amazon.com so they distribute it to their customers. BUt you
know what - you can forget that, dear customers of krause publications. He said it is not
the company's policy and that all they do is send the missing pages to whoever calls them and gives them their name and address
which is the "minimalistic approach" but is fine.

When I asked him (Mr. Cuhaj) why there are many blunders and signatures not shown etc. he told me that I bought a book at a discount price and
that krause publications does not issue any errata.

The whole experience calling krause publications left a taste of salt in my mouth. I don't care much about the pages
they will send me. My collection will not have krause books anymore nor they are worth collecting
especially with whole countries missing. There's some West African States listing missing as well.

I noticed some (some) improvements in their book and was going to post a little better feedback on Amazon.com
but after today that won't happen.

As a final thought - I don't mind paying more for the book, but I want it to be a quality book. Why don't they hire someone who is a perfectionist
and who can spell correctly and is an intelligent person. Now all I had as a choice was to buy it at a discounted price in the shape as it is now
with no Somalia and probably many more blunders and missing pages and listings such as referring to the signatures which are not depicted or
replacing formerly existing signature box with their own ad. ETC. I wishj I had time so I could go through the whole book(s) and
write a huge ERRATA and post on my website. Maybe I'll do that some day as a FREE advertisement for krause publications.

P.S. I do not include my email or name here to avoid being spammed.

Old November 19th 05, 12:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money

My theory is that Krause is spread too
thin with too many publications in various
collecting areas and not enough trained
people to keep up with all the details.

Minor spelling errors etc. are one thing but
missing an entire country? I hope someone gets called on the carpet
for that blunder.

Old November 20th 05, 05:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money

Not an excuse for Krause. They could find say 100 collector/dealer
volunteers each reviewing 10-20 pages of each book and sending corrections.
I would not mind reviewing 10-20 pages for free as long as I would see an
immediate improvement to the SCWPM. I'm talking about reviewing every single
letter, logical etc.
To attract more people Krause could give out free books to the volunteers
and/or give printed credits. Just have to be more flexible. Having angry
readers is not an option. Now with the whole country of Somalia missing this
11th Edition is not gonna be worth anything as a collectable book despite
Krause sending us the mising pages. Someone told me - who cares about
Somalia! Do we care about Somalia? I think we care about every country.

Old November 20th 05, 08:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money

Other problems I've spotted with the 11th edition:

Page 134: Burundi P37 has no value listed.

Page 261: Egypt. Why are there issued note and specimen varieties listed for
Pick 43, 44, 45, and 47, but not for 46 and 48 in the same series?

Page 565: Mauritania P14 is listed as 2500 Ouguiya and it should be 2000
Ouguiya.

Page 579: The page heading for Moldova is listed as ³Moldavia² but is
correct on following page.

Page 613: New Zealand. The images for Pick 185, 186, and 187 are out of
order.

Old November 22nd 05, 01:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money

Default No more Pick. Now it's Krause.

Also I just noticed:

A misleading incorrect spelling of Cappadocia (correct) as "Capadoccia"
(incorrect, in Krause-2005) for Turkey K#220 (formerly would be Pick#220) on
page 862. Similar to the problem where many people spell "your" (incorrrect)
instead of "you're" (correct). POnce you see it first time, you learn the
incorrect spelling and then it is very difficult to change your spelling
habit. "Educational Awards" goes to Krause Publications! :-)