Prices! Bottom has dropped out!

Old August 2nd 08, 04:18 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

Default Prices! Bottom has dropped out!

Jukeboxes aren't worth what they used to be. I see alot these days on
Ebay that can't get a bid, even at low (no reserve) auctions. Certain
models are still worth big bucks (if you can fined a buyer). Younger
people are only interested in Ipods and Itunes on the computer. The
good old days are really gone for good. I wish I had room, I would
start a real collection. Oh well, time moves on.
Old August 3rd 08, 10:53 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
David O'Grady

Well I`m a buyer . id love to get my hands on a really nice Rock-Ola Tempo
2 200 and a AMI conti 1. with out having to go to Europe to find them.
I guess they`ll show up sooner or later.
thanks from downunder
David O`Grady

Old August 3rd 08, 02:00 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
WEade[_2_]

I can't agree. ALL the markets right now are suffering. Pinball and video
prices have also dropped. With the way the economy is, and the gas prices,
people just don't have as much disposable income anymore. More and more
people are passing on the unneeded buys because they need their food and
gas.

Add in that it IS summertime and people take vacations, also minimizing
their disposable incomes. I work in the printing industry, and this time of
year is ALWAYS dead for us. Give it a month or two and things will pick up.

Come Christmas-time, and I think you may see a surge in the prices. IF the
economy gets better and the gas prices continue to drop, that will also help
the prices to go back up.

It's not that jukeboxes aren't worth what they used to be. It's because of
the poor economy, higher food prices and higher gas prices.

Bill

Old August 3rd 08, 02:58 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Keith Stelter[_2_]

Unfortunately I have to agree with the original poster.
Jukebox prices were starting to tank well before gas prices spiked up.
We've talked here before about the "Model A Syndrome", which is where things
from a certain time period increase in value until they peak, then start
declining as the people who remember them from their youth get older and
either have less money to spend on "toys" or are simplifying their lives
after they retire.
My Dad had a bunch of stuff from the Chicago World's Fair and also a bunch
of Tom Mix and Little Orphan Annie stuff. He thought that they were worth a
fortune because in the 60's and 70's they were.
When he died a few years ago my Mom made a big deal out of giving me those
things because they were "worth so much money". I didn't have the heart to
tell her that they were almost worthless by that time.
This normal cycle will be as true with jukeboxes as it is with anything
else. How many people collect pre-flipper pinball machines these days. They
are like a disease when you try to sell one.
All of this is indeed being accelerated by the lack of disposable income,
and the fact that you can carry around almost every song ever recorded in
your pocket for the $50.00 that it costs for a generic IPOD.
Although I still have some jukes, I also have a touchscreen monitor on my
gameroom wall hooked to a computer with a digital jukebox program on it. I
have over 80,000 songs on it, versus the 200 (maximum) that you get on a
classic jukebox.
There will probably always be a decent market for jukes like Continentals
and Filben Maestros, but not for the jukes that we all love like Seeburg
"C"s and Rock Ola Tempos.
Sad but true.

Old August 4th 08, 01:18 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

On Aug 3, 1:18 am, wrote:
Jukeboxes aren't worth what they used to be. I see alot these days on
Ebay that can't get a bid, even at low (no reserve) auctions. Certain
models are still worth big bucks (if you can fined a buyer). Younger
people are only interested in Ipods and Itunes on the computer. The
good old days are really gone for good. I wish I had room, I would
start a real collection. Oh well, time moves on.

With home loan interest rates hitting 10.6% (as notified friday), I
think that items like "jukebox" tend to get dropped from the shopping
list, or the budget cut back dramatically.

In my observations, the number of people who have left the industry or
scaled back dramatically is alarming too.

I wonder how long before the tired old left wing crap like the "J"
curve" and "recession we had to have" get wheeled out once again for
another airing.

(Australia)

Old August 4th 08, 01:50 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

On Aug 3, 11:58 pm, "Keith Stelter"
wrote:
[...]

--------------------------
I would have to agree. I had similar thoughts a few years back about
the "classic" jukes being potentially worthless - as the main age
group wanting them (and being able to afford them) was comfortably
over 50+ and they would be gone in a generation (or beyond
caring).

I had a fully restored continental and JAL200 (US import) here, and at
the time they had substantial value to collectors. I remember another
local operator commenting in 2003 that "you should sell these as in a
few years no one will want them or be able to afford them". I thought
he was silly at the time, but ended up moving them on a year later.
Judging from ebay sales in the last year or so, these have declined to
about 30% of their previous value and seem to be painfully difficult
to sell.

Solid state 70s/80s jukes that sold for good money in 2003,4 have
declined painfully too.

However the way you have described this "model A syndrome" extremely
well in your post above and agree 100%.

Old August 4th 08, 08:42 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
E M F

Juke box fun scribbled;

wrote in message
Jukeboxes aren't worth what they used to be. I see alot these days on
Ebay that can't get a bid, even at low (no reserve) auctions. Certain
models are still worth big bucks (if you can fined a buyer). Younger
people are only interested in Ipods and Itunes on the computer. The
good old days are really gone for good. I wish I had room, I would
start a real collection. Oh well, time moves on.

I pods, cell phones computers printers and software are disposable
consumer
items... A Juke is / was capital equipment that made money.....GC

Old August 5th 08, 12:49 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

On Aug 4, 11:58 am, John Robertson wrote:
wrote:
Jukeboxes aren't worth what they used to be. I see alot these days on
Ebay that can't get a bid, even at low (no reserve) auctions. Certain
models are still worth big bucks (if you can fined a buyer). Younger
people are only interested in Ipods and Itunes on the computer. The
good old days are really gone for good. I wish I had room, I would
start a real collection. Oh well, time moves on.

Not in Europe...prices are stable or going up there!

John :-#)#

The prices there would look even better, as the $US exchange rate has
dropped substantially (or "euro has risen substantially) against the
Euro in recent years for whatever reasons.

www.flippers.com

Old August 7th 08, 07:51 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Ken G.

I have been reading here about the decrease in $ value of jukeboxes for
a while .
Sometimes it depends on where you sell them . Antique malls do pretty
good with these .

I would like to find a nice Wurlitzer OMT that plays home made cd`s ..
cheap