Hi! I'm New Here - Just Got a Seeburg 147 For Restoration

Old December 27th 07, 02:04 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Fools!

Default Hi! I'm New Here - Just Got a Seeburg 147 For Restoration

I'm new to the Jukebox forums and jukeboxes in general. I have
restored countless early 80's era arcade games. I picked up a Seeburg
147 for my Dad as a Christmas gift. Of course, it is non working. I
am planning on doing the restoration with him. Before I start, just a
few questions:
Are there any "Nearly Impossible" parts to com \e by on this model?
Where are a few of the best places to get parts from? I have seen
that Victory Glass carries many of the restoration parts.
Finally, in looking at the machine, I will have to sandblast the outer
metal. Can someone point me toward (Or Help me with) a technique to
replicate the woodgrain that was originally painted on the metal?
Thanks in advance! I'm sure that I'll be posting here as we roll
along on getting this up and running and finally restored!
Old December 27th 07, 03:12 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

Hi, and welcome to Juke collecting! I, too have done the video/pinball
thing-still do. I actually started out in this hobby by buying a
jukebox when I was about 12-13 (I'm 44 now) taking it apart and seeing
how it worked. It was a Seebeurg J. Still love that model! As afr as
parts go, I used to deal with Victory, and they're pretty good, but I
really like Ken Arnold/A-1 Nostalgia. He's a decent guy, will be VERY
helpful to you on the phone, and there's no such thing as a stupid
question. Try him, I know you'll like him and best of luck in the
hobby...nicer people here than on RVAC if ya know what I mean.....
As far as the technique to get the metal looking like woodgrain,
you'll have to bone up on this in a paint supplies store. They make a
kit to faux woodgrain with...its basically stain and a very cheap
paintbrush. Its a cheap brush on purpose becaude you actaully WANT to
make streaky lines in the stain. That's what gives the woodgrain
effect. The Seeburg Trashcan is an awesome box when done right-it
always gets comments.
Jay
Old December 28th 07, 12:57 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Fools!

Thanks! I will be needing some help, I'm sure. I try not to go to
RGVAC often. It's not really my crowd. I found the A-1 website and
will be downloading their catalog soon.
Another question: How do you guys recommend restoring this? Take it
apart from where it is and get her looking minty, then work on getting
it runnung?
Or get it running, take it apart, then restore it?
Are there any hard to find parts for this particular juke?

Old December 28th 07, 02:55 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

On Dec 27, 7:57 pm, "Fools!" wrote:
Thanks! I will be needing some help, I'm sure. I try not to go to
RGVAC often. It's not really my crowd. I found the A-1 website and
will be downloading their catalog soon.
Another question: How do you guys recommend restoring this? Take it
apart from where it is and get her looking minty, then work on getting
it runnung?
Or get it running, take it apart, then restore it?
Are there any hard to find parts for this particular juke?

This is a pretty popular juke, with 3 models (146, 147 148) to choose
parts from. Is yours complete? I would arm myself w/a digital camera,
take copius pictures and start to disassemble. It really is a simple
box. 1 thing I should've mentioned earlier is don't plug it in! You
run the risk of blowing the xformers and they can be expensive. If
you're not comfortable with freshining up the amp ass'y, just send it
out. I've used both Bill Bickers and PR Novelty. Both guys are great-
its just a matter of choice/cost. I lean a little more towards PR,
though (sorry Bill!) Just my choice-again-they both are top notch.
Chrome/nickle plating can dig into the family vacation fund, so be
mindful of that. I've used Courtesy Plating with nothing but excellent
results-prices are fair, too. An alternative is Speed & Sport, but
he's just an alternative. I personally like Courtesy.
The mech is best restored and cleaned on a bench where you can get at
everything...you might want to pick up an manual on this so you know
what goes where after you start getting into it. Cheap insurance and
its really a necessity.
If you need any parts that might be missing and or broken, I've used
John Durfee in Mass. He's got a lot of stuff and he's willing to sell
you the smallest piece if that's alll you need..I think his site is
www.jukeboxparts.com
Jay
Old December 28th 07, 04:40 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
E M F

Fools scribbled;

"Fools!" wrote in message
I'm new to the Jukebox forums and jukeboxes in general. I have
restored countless early 80's era arcade games. I picked up a Seeburg
147 for my Dad as a Christmas gift. Of course, it is non working. I
am planning on doing the restoration with him. Before I start, just a
few questions:
Are there any "Nearly Impossible" parts to com \e by on this model?
Where are a few of the best places to get parts from? I have seen
that Victory Glass carries many of the restoration parts.
Finally, in looking at the machine, I will have to sandblast the outer
metal. Can someone point me toward (Or Help me with) a technique to
replicate the woodgrain that was originally painted on the metal?
Thanks in advance! I'm sure that I'll be posting here as we roll
along on getting this up and running and finally restored!

It seems to me that repro- pilasters are no longer made, and 146 & 147
pilasters are the same 148 are not .....The 147 is top heavy...... use
two people to remove & install the mech................GC

Old December 29th 07, 12:03 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Fools!

Thanks a ton! I'll definately be using every referrence that you've
given me. 1 last question before we start: What is the easiest way to
do this? Get it running, then tear it down for restoration or tear it
down, then worry about getting it running?

Old December 29th 07, 02:02 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
E M F

FOOLS scribbled;

"Fools!" wrote in message
Thanks a ton! I'll definately be using every referrence that you've
given me. 1 last question before we start: What is the easiest way to
do this? Get it running, then tear it down for restoration or tear it
down, then worry about getting it running?

Get it running first & look for missing parts how are the
pilasters?.............GC

Old December 29th 07, 03:37 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Ken G.

I always get jukeboxes working first then i know what i need in parts
and hunt them down and the cost before ripping it all apart .

One thing that you might want to try .. When you start taking it all
apart have a 12`` x 12`` piece or 2 or 3 of thick cardboard and as you
take out sets of screws , screw them into the cardboard in little groups
& draw a line around them and lable them .
As the disassembly unfolds the screws and small parts are in order to be
reversed as it goes back together . The filled cardboard-s can be stored
in a safe place while the machine is apart .