Got in change today

Old September 15th 08, 08:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Farley

Default Got in change today

I went shopping and the total was something and 99 cents. The one cent I
got in change was a nice 1944 d. Nothing outstanding, but it has been
awhile since I got a wheat in change. Always a nice find.
Bruce

Old September 16th 08, 12:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Duh_Oz

On Sep 15, 2:06*pm, Bruce Farley wrote:
I went shopping and the total was something and 99 cents. The one cent I
got in change was a nice 1944 d. Nothing outstanding, but it has been
awhile since I got a wheat in change. Always a nice find.
Bruce

======
I haven't received a wheat ear in change for quite a few months now.
I actually found two 1944 (P) in a tot lot yesterday in very nice
condition. I assume some kid sneaked into their parents coin stash
and took a few. Bless their little hearts for losing them for
me :-) Same tot lot I found one of the holed dimes.
Old September 16th 08, 01:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Bruce Farley" wrote in message
I went shopping and the total was something and 99 cents. The one cent I
got in change was a nice 1944 d. Nothing outstanding, but it has been
awhile since I got a wheat in change. Always a nice find.
Bruce

I've got over 300 rolls of circulated wheats by date & mint, most acquired
from change and roll searches in the 1950's. So some fifty years later, the
1940's rolls are worth only a buck or two per roll, the steel cents a bit
more. Yet I haven't found a single 1940's cent in change in the past 20
years. So although I could buy a full roll for a couple bucks, I don't
expect I'll ever run across another 1940's cent in change during the rest of
my life.

Old September 16th 08, 01:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Voltronicus

On Sep 15, 8:00*pm, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"Bruce Farley" wrote in message

I went shopping and the total was something and 99 cents. The one cent I
got in change was a nice 1944 d. Nothing outstanding, but it has been
awhile since I got a wheat in change. Always a nice find.
Bruce

I've got over 300 rolls of circulated wheats by date & mint, most acquired
from change and roll searches in the 1950's. *So some fifty years later, the
1940's rolls are worth only a buck or two per roll, the steel cents a bit
more. *Yet I haven't found a single 1940's cent in change in the past 20
years. *So although I could buy a full roll for a couple bucks, *I don't
expect I'll ever run across another 1940's cent in change during the rest of
my life.

I haven't gotten a wheatie in a several weeks but have gotten a 40's
cent within the last year, so keep looking - they're out there!
Old September 16th 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Voltronicus" wrote in message
[...]

************

I'll have to admit I don't make that many purchases anymore that would give
me change to examine, and never search rolls. So although you may be right
about keeping the faith, I just can't get excited about the thought of
adding one more 1940's cent to my hoard.

I do pat myself on the back though for having the foresight to buy BU rolls
of each Lincoln date & mint from the 1940's and 50's about thirty years ago
when they were relatively cheap. They look as pretty today as they did back
then. Makes me wonder how many MS65's there might be in there. I doubt
that I'll ever check, not that I could tell a MS65 from a MS63 with any
confidence anyway.

Old September 16th 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
scottishmoney

I search boxes of pennies from the bank every couple of weeks, the last time
I checked about two weeks ago I got a 1909 VDB in VF. That is the earliest
cent find I have ever made, but teens are not uncommon, I get at least 1 per
box.

Old September 16th 08, 08:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave[_9_]

"Bruce Farley" ... wrote in message
I went shopping and the total was something and 99 cents. The one cent I
got in change was a nice 1944 d. Nothing outstanding, but it has been
awhile since I got a wheat in change. Always a nice find.
Bruce

When I was going to college, I paid my way by working as night manager of a
Foster Freeze soft-serve ice cream store in Los Angeles. In those days that
job paid $1.35 per hour, but on the other hand tuition was only a few
hundred dollars a semester. It was a good job for a student, because apart
from the hot summer months, there was not much demand for ice cream at night
and I could study between customers.

I used to go through the cash drawers when I closed up every evening, taking
out rare coins and putting common coins of the same face value in their
place. My employers and fellow workers knew nothing about coin collecting,
so they did not lose thereby. There were many weeks during which coins I
found paid me more than my salary. It was amazing, until finally it dawned
on me that local kids were stealing coin collections, spending the coins at
face value to buy ice cream.

The best coin I ever found "in circulation" was a 1914-D Lincoln cent in
good VF condition, which I remember selling for $35.00. That was not far
from a week's net pay after deductions. There were lots of $10.00 and $5.00
coins. For a rough idea of what they would be worth today, multiply those
numbers by 10. There were hundreds of nice Indian Head cents, Buffalo
nickels, Barber dimes and quarters, a few Flying Eagle cents and even one
well worn shield nickel. Dimes, quarters, and halves were still made from
90% silver alloy then, and we also took in quite a few silver dollars. In
those days these oversize, clumsy coins were not much used anywhere outside
Las Vegas, however so many people in Los Angeles headed for Vegas every
weekend that silver dollars circulated to some extent in LA as well.

I made at least $5,000 from selling rare coins found in change during the
three years I worked at that ice cream store, which put me through college
with gas money and lots of pocket money to spare. I was so impressed by how
lucrative selling rare coins could be, that I decided to become a
professional numismatist rather than an engineer. I remember that on the day
John Kennedy met his fate, I was operating the teletype machine at the Bill
Willoughby Coin Exchange in Los Angeles, making an investment trade with a
coin dealer in Dallas, when the news flash broke. In those days dealers
traded sealed rolls and Mint bags, rather than slabbed coins. What a wild
day that was - one of my fellow teletype operators met his fate also, fired
via a teletype message from his outraged boss, for insulting another dealer
who had the temerity to attempt to carry on with business as usual.

Dave Welsh

www.classicalcoins.com

Old September 16th 08, 01:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
scottishmoney

"Dave" wrote in message news:VAIzk.3136 What a wild
day that was - one of my fellow teletype operators met his fate also,
fired
via a teletype message from his outraged boss, for insulting another
dealer
who had the temerity to attempt to carry on with business as usual.

How funny, get fired via teletype! Now I am sure it would be via text
message.

Old September 16th 08, 03:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Voltronicus

On Sep 16, 3:44*am, "Dave" wrote:
My employers and fellow workers knew nothing about coin collecting,
so they did not lose thereby.

Bottom line: you stole numismatic items from your boss.

Old September 16th 08, 04:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
John Mazor

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

I did the same in college (although not nearly as well as you did) as
cashier in a grocery store. Some of the coins and bills I snagged
could not possibly have been circulating all those years. My joy at
these finds eventually was tempered by the realization that the only
reason I was able to get them was either because someone (kids or
burglars) had swiped them, or someone was desperate enough to raid
their horde and use them to buy food.

That didn't stop me from my "rescue operation" but it did make me
think a bit about the randomness of life's fortunes and misfortunes.
And on the necessity of keeping valuable coins locked away from prying
eyes and fingers.

[...]

Great stories, thanks for passing them along.

On the day when JFK was shot, after school I headed right to the coin
department in a downtown department store and bought the large JFK
medal with its metal stand. I have no idea of its current value but
no matter. It's still my personal touchstone to that day in history.

In change today... [email protected] Coins 0 August 1st 06 05:51 AM
Coin from Oz in My Change Today Scottishmoney Coins 2 September 12th 04 01:58 AM
Received in change today! Bruce Hickmott Coins 5 July 18th 04 02:23 AM
Found in change today DANIEL :-} Coins 0 July 3rd 04 02:50 AM
Found in change today... Grandpa Coins 8 October 31st 03 10:28 PM