Favourite definitive series?

Old August 1st 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Aerogi

Default Favourite definitive series?

what is your most favourite definitive series or long running series? My
personal all time favourite are the castle definitives from Italy. I think I
must have them reasonably complete, but as I don't have any international
catalogues, I have no idea. The reason I like them is simply because I like
old castles or ruines!

Here are the ones I have, are there any more?

Original series:
5 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 120 150 170 180 200 250 300 350 380
400 450 500 550 600 650 700 750 800 850 900 1000 1400

Recent types (new colors):
200 250 300 450

Small format (perforation on two sides):
30 100 120 300 750

My country Belgium has also a great serie I think, with the bird stamps.

Now what's your most favourite one?

Old August 1st 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton

In a recent message "Aerogi" wrote:

what is your most favourite definitive series or long running series? My
personal all time favourite are the castle definitives from Italy. I think I
must have them reasonably complete, but as I don't have any international
catalogues, I have no idea. The reason I like them is simply because I like
old castles or ruines!

Here are the ones I have, are there any more?

Indeed yes!

Original series:
5 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 120 150 170 180 200 250 300 350 380
400 450 500 550 600 650 700 750 800 850 900 1000 1400

Those are the main series, but the 50 lire comes also with the date 1980
at the bottom, and the 50, 100 and 500 come with perforation 13.25
instead of the usual 14x13.25

Recent types (new colors):
200 250 300 450

Gravure instead of recess

Small format (perforation on two sides):
30 100 120 300 750

Also 50, 170, 200, 400, 500, 600, 650, and 800 lire

The following values are to be found on non-fluorescent paper:

100, 300, 700, 750 lire

Perforation errors and colour shifts abound.

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
Old August 1st 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
maz

In article ,
"Aerogi" wrote:

what is your most favourite definitive series or long running series?

That has to be the Centennial Definitives of Canada. Issued for our
nations birthday in 1967. It started out as a basic set of low values
(1-5 cents; adding 6, 7 & 8 cents later) with a portrait of QEII, medium
& high values (8 cents to $1) of famous works of Canadian art.

Quite a few varieties emerged from this set.

Pete

--
Use ROT-13 to decode my e-mail address.
Old August 1st 06, 09:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Mette

"maz" skrev i en meddelelse
In article ,
"Aerogi" wrote:

what is your most favourite definitive series or long running series?

That has to be the Centennial Definitives of Canada. Issued for our
nations birthday in 1967. It started out as a basic set of low values
(1-5 cents; adding 6, 7 & 8 cents later) with a portrait of QEII, medium
& high values (8 cents to $1) of famous works of Canadian art.

Mmmm. The Group of Seven. Some of my favourite Canadians :-)
http://arthistory.heindorffhus.dk/fr...GroupSeven.htm

--
Mette

Old August 1st 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Mette

"Aerogi" skrev i en meddelelse
what is your most favourite definitive series or long running series? My
personal all time favourite are the castle definitives from Italy. I think
must have them reasonably complete, but as I don't have any international
catalogues, I have no idea. The reason I like them is simply because I
like
old castles or ruines!

Danish Christmas Seals, cinderellas running since 1904.
http://dk-christmasseals.heindorffhus.dk/
--
Mette
remove mes for direct reply

Old August 1st 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Mette

"Tony Clayton" skrev i en meddelelse
In a recent message "Aerogi" wrote:

what is your most favourite definitive series or long running series? My
personal all time favourite are the castle definitives from Italy. I
think I
must have them reasonably complete, but as I don't have any international
catalogues, I have no idea. The reason I like them is simply because I
like
old castles or ruines!

Here are the ones I have, are there any more?

- snip -

This Italian website may be of interest for you. All Italian stamps are
listed as per year of issuance, and there is also a search engine where you
can make specific searches.
http://www.ibolli.it/indexeng.htm

--
Mette
remove mes for direct reply

Old August 2nd 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Aerogi wrote:
what is your most favourite definitive series or long running series? My
personal all time favourite are the castle definitives from Italy. I think I
must have them reasonably complete, but as I don't have any international
catalogues, I have no idea. The reason I like them is simply because I like
old castles or ruines!

Now what's your most favourite one?

Hello Aerogi:

One set I like is the set from Turkey (1958-60) showing
various cities. There are134 stamps in the set.
http://cjoint.com/data/ice0EPGeJ0.htm

Another nice set is the set issued by Venezuela (1951-54) showing
the coats-of-arms of the states. There are 384 stamps (168 postage
and 216 airmail) in this set. http://cjoint.com/data/icd21nJRST.htm

It is a lot of fun trying to complete these sets.

Blair

Old August 2nd 06, 07:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

Now what's your most favourite one?

That's a tough ask,
There are so many nice sets around, the "costumes"
of Austria, the "key" types of most countries look
fabulous when seen as a near full collection, if
you are lucky enough to snag them all, The art deco numerals of
Germany, again, the 1934 art deco costume sets of Austria.
If pushed to commit, I would say the US Presidents, as they hold
memories from my earliest sets, I like the paper they
are printed on, and the rich colours.
http://cjoint.com/data/iciktOQqgg.htm

Old August 2nd 06, 09:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

I am rather partial to the Rhodesia Double Heads 1910 - 1916. Unusual
attractive and enough variety to make them really interesting.
Just a pity that so many of the higher value items are way out of my
price range.
http://www.rhodesia.co.za/dh_1.html
Clive

Old August 2nd 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bobstamp

My votes go to:
I lean strongly towards recess engraved stamps. These are three series
that are among my favorites:

-- The U.S. "Regular Issue" of 1902-03. This is the one I would
specialize in if I had the time and money, although even the most
expensive aren't completely out of sight. I just bought (for a song) a
nice little parcel card with a tidy Gloucester City, N.J.duplex
cancellation on the five-cent Lincoln from this set.

-- The Canada Admirals, famous for their shade, paper, and printing
varieties, and the lathework in the selvedge of several values. But
they're hard to identify, quite beyond my skills or patience. Very
attractive stamps, though.

-- The Canada "Scroll Issue," which includes the famous "Bluenose.

Others I like include:

-- The Italy Castles, although I have not spent the time with them I'd
like to.

-- Austrian Costumes (which Tracy refers to as "Bob's Harem"). One of
these wenches, the 3gr value, is very difficult to find even though the
CV is less than a dollar. Both Tracy and I have now obtained nice used
copies.

-- The U.S. "Prexies" of 1938, which were the definitive series in use
when I became a collector.