Image Theft

Old September 2nd 08, 05:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Farley

Default Image Theft

Why has eBay let the auction run? Have you talked with them?
Bruce

PC wrote:

"Jim Menning" wrote in message

Whatever.

Forgive Nick. He can't help himself. He and his Tweedle-Dum
counterpart, Phil, are so desparately trying to make this an issue about
me. I have no idea what their problem is.

I believe my pictures stand apart enough that it gives me an edge in
sales. If someone is using my pictures then any edge gained is diluted.
eBay is very clear that you are not to use other seller's pictures.
Pretty cut and dry to most adults.

Old September 2nd 08, 05:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_7_]

"Bruce Farley" wrote in message
Why has eBay let the auction run? Have you talked with them?

I got their response saying they did something but can not say what they
did. eBay has always cancelled auctions like that in the past. Go figure.

Old September 2nd 08, 07:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Phil DeMayo

On Sep 1, 10:52�pm, "PC" wrote:
"Jim Menning" wrote in message

Whatever.

Forgive Nick. �He can't help himself. �He and his Tweedle-Dum counterpart,
Phil, are so desparately trying to make this an issue about me. �I have no
idea what their problem is.

Look, you complained about someone stealing your auction images and
text when a great deal of the text you insert in your Silver Eagle
auctions to describe the design of the coin was lifted verbatim from
the US Mint website.

I point this out and you call me a troll.

eBay says: "You should avoid "borrowing" text or images (including
photos) from other listings on eBay, a manufacturer's web site,
product catalogs, or other sources without specific permission from
the owner. Contrary to popular belief, simply because images and text
may be found somewhere on the Internet does not necessarily mean that
they are not protected by copyright laws. Copyright laws apply to the
Internet, and manufacturers or other copyright owners may object to
the use of text or images that they own or have created."

On their "Item Description and Picture Theft" page they also state
that:"You must own the rights to the text or images you are reporting
for unauthorized use"

You clearly did not "own" much of the text you used in your item
description.

It seems every time you post about a problem you are having on eBay
there is always more to the story.

Old September 2nd 08, 10:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"Scott Stevenson" wrote in message
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 08:35:43 -0400, "Bruce Remick"
wrote:

"John Mazor" wrote in message

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

"John Mazor" wrote in message

"Jim Menning" wrote in message

"John Mazor" wrote in message

You'd think that with a photo composition as distinctive as this
one,
he'd be smart enough to not risk getting caught.

What about his other auction where he whites out the slab number on
someone else's image he uses? That's even more obvious.

http://i10.ebayimg.com/03/i/001/08/c4/00f9_1.JPG

If it's the same guy, he's a mere whisper away from gaining entry to
the
collections of stories about Stupid Crook Tricks - the ones who write
their bank robbery note on the back of their electric bill or leave a
trail of stolen beer can empties leading from the 7-11 to their house
right up the street.

If they're drinking and emptying cans often enough to leave a clear
trail, you'll probably find them passed out close to where the trail of
cans ends.

I think that's also on the list of Stupid Crook Tricks.

Other notable "bread crumb" trails leading right to the perp have
included
loose currency, exploded dye packs, foot and tire prints, and even candy
wrappers.

Don't forget that trail left by the horse with the missing nail in the
right
rear shoe. I was reminded of that one in an old western last night.
Traced
the bad guy's horse all the way into town and up to the saloon, where all
bad guys and strangers always go when in town. How they knew it was the
right rear shoe still puzzles me.

Well, front and back shoes are generally different (IIRC), and since
horses don't generally cross their legs, if it's on the right side of
the pattern of hoofprints, it's on the right side of the horse.

take care,
Scott
"Equine Adventures"

A front shoe has one clip and a back shoe has two, there are 3 horse shoes
in the hall here now, £65 for a set of four every 6 to 7 weeks. :-( Billy

Old September 2nd 08, 12:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Nick Knight

In , on 09/01/2008
at 09:02 PM, Bruce Farley said:

Why has eBay let the auction run? Have you talked with them?

Old PC seems to have problem-after-problem using eBay. I'm sure he's
"talked" to them. Again. By now, the standard reaction is probably (I'm
just guessing .... "uh. Him again".

Nick
Old September 2nd 08, 12:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ivan

I have read several books on subject (www.nolo.com), but you can find some
online articles too:
This one is about anciet coins:
http://digitalhn.blogspot.com/2006/0...ent-coins.html

I have link to better article at home, I can post it later.
Basically, realistic photo of 2D art (which is in public domain) is not
copyrightable.

Old September 2nd 08, 02:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ivan

The second article can be found he

http://www.coinsoftime.com/Greek/Art...hotographs.htm

Old September 2nd 08, 02:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ivan

and discussion
http://www.forumancientcoins.com/boa...?topic=40752.0

Old September 2nd 08, 10:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
John Mazor

"Nick Knight" wrote in message
In 5YZuk.261$sq3.143@trnddc07, on 09/01/2008
at 10:24 PM, "John Mazor" said:

Now, I can understand it if it's a unique coin ... something where
an exact
condition and variety might matter.

What difference does that make? Either you're a pragmatist or an
enforcer.
The fact that it is a rare or even unique coin isn't going to
switch you
from the former to the latter. It might enhance the value of the
photo,
though, and therefore increase your damages claim.

I meant it more from the point of view that the seller CAN'T be
selling the
same coin as what is pictured.

Okay, got it.

In the case of a proof set, this might be
very difficult to prove. In the case of a 1817 Bust Half of a
certain
variety and a specific amount of wear, using "my picture" would be
more
deceptive. Even if you mentioned that this was a stock picture, the
buyer
is more likely to feel cheated if the coin isn't better or more to
his
liking that the pic. Again, it's hard to be disappointed with a
proof set,
assuming that there is no spotting or clouding or blemished that
weren't in
the pictures used.

I, personally, would be more concerned if someone was borrowing a
pic of a
unique coin. Not that I would feel cheated myself, but someone
would be
using my pic to sell something that more than likely wasn't like my
coin.

True. However, that still leaves open the potential deceptiveness of
showing a nice representative pic (regardless of its provenance) and
delivering something short of the representation. That's a bit off
from the original issue, but it's still worth mentioning here.

Old September 2nd 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Clayton[_2_]

In a recent message "John Mazor" wrote:

[...]

I know a young man who took part in a robbery using his own car
with the numberplate covered with toilet paper.

This fell off as they drove away and the police arrested them shortly
after.

In Nottingham a thief broke into a car, stole the radio and went home.
There was fresh snow on the ground and the police followed his footprints!

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :