Odd 1964D Lincoln Pennie

Old March 14th 04, 01:26 AM
Alan & Erin Williams

Default Odd 1964D Lincoln Pennie

Ace Gezo wrote:

My daughter and I were rolling some coins from the change jar tonight
and we ran across a 1964D pennie with what appears to be a small stamped
image of a Kennedy bust on the right edge of the coin facing directly at
Lincolns face. Anyone have a clue what this is all about?

Thanks

Congratulations! Isn't that a neat curio? The ones I've found have been
done on 1974 and 1974-D Lincoln's, for the most part. There was a
novelty company that created these as premiums/giveaways for banks and
hardware stores and basically any retailer that would place an order. I
vaguely recall newspaper and magazine ads for them as well, though I've
never tried looking those up.

You can find previous discussion about these, including the name of the
company that likely created them by using Google.

Groups/Advanced Search/ rec.collecting.coins and search on the words
"Counterstamped Lincoln".

Alan
'likes chopmarks, too'
Old March 14th 04, 05:31 PM
Coin Saver

From: Ace Gezo

My daughter and I were rolling some coins from the change jar tonight

and we ran across a 1964D pennie with what appears to be a small stamped image
of a Kennedy bust on the right edge of the coin facing directly at Lincolns
face. Anyone have a clue what this is all about?

Yes. This is called a "counter-stamp", and there are a lot of them. The
"Kennedy Facing Lincoln" is one of the most popular, along with "Lincoln
Smoking A Cigar", "Lincoln Smoking A Pipe", and virtually each of the 50
States outlines. There are others.

These counterstamps are done outside of the US Mint, and are therefore
considered to be "damaged coins" by numismatists. The collectibility of
counterstamped Lincoln Cents is arguable. Since it can be done at any time by
anyone who buys the particular Die Stamp, there is no limit to the number which
can be produced.

8-]
Coin Saver