odd wheatie in change...

Old December 2nd 05, 01:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default odd wheatie in change...

Recently got what appears to be a heavily damaged wheat penny in change
however upon looking at it more closely it seems the thing was struck that
way. The only thing I do know is that the first three numbers on the date
are "1..9..0" and the rest of it isn't discernible so I'm guessing it's a
1909 something or other. Oh well, it's probably just another damaged 1909 S
VDB, tons of those around no doubt but I'll never know by looking at this
thing. In the lock-box it goes I guess never to be seen again

Old December 2nd 05, 01:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Robbo" tossed out the thought:
...but I'll never know by looking at this thing...

Still, it's fun to ponder upon, and muse about the possibilities, isn't it?
I have a few culls of various denominations, and as I hold them in my hand,
I wonder where they've been, and whose pocket or purse they once traveled
in...

Larry
'"potential" is a powerful commodity!'

Old December 2nd 05, 02:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Robbo" wrote in
:

Recently got what appears to be a heavily damaged wheat penny in
change however upon looking at it more closely it seems the thing
was struck that way. The only thing I do know is that the first
three numbers on the date are "1..9..0" and the rest of it isn't
discernible so I'm guessing it's a 1909 something or other. Oh
well, it's probably just another damaged 1909 S VDB, tons of those
around no doubt but I'll never know by looking at this thing. In
the lock-box it goes I guess never to be seen again

Have you tried looking thru a microscope? Sometimes you can make out
that last digit at 60x, or maybe 200x, where you can't see it with your
10x loupe.

Just wondering.

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Old December 2nd 05, 02:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Eric Babula" wrote in message
0...
"Robbo" wrote in
:

Recently got what appears to be a heavily damaged wheat penny in
change however upon looking at it more closely it seems the thing
was struck that way. The only thing I do know is that the first
three numbers on the date are "1..9..0" and the rest of it isn't
discernible so I'm guessing it's a 1909 something or other. Oh
well, it's probably just another damaged 1909 S VDB, tons of those
around no doubt but I'll never know by looking at this thing. In
the lock-box it goes I guess never to be seen again

Have you tried looking thru a microscope? Sometimes you can make out
that last digit at 60x, or maybe 200x, where you can't see it with your
10x loupe.

Just wondering.

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Looked at it with a small scope but couldn't make anything of value out, of
course I couldn't do that if I used the Hubble on it no doubt, just the way
my luck goes with these types of things.

Old December 2nd 05, 04:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 13:39:25 +0000, Larry Louks wrote:

"Robbo" tossed out the thought:
...but I'll never know by looking at this thing...

Still, it's fun to ponder upon, and muse about the possibilities, isn't it?
I have a few culls of various denominations, and as I hold them in my hand,
I wonder where they've been, and whose pocket or purse they once traveled
in...

Larry
'"potential" is a powerful commodity!'

My son has what 'could' be a 14D lincoln in his folder. He's convinced it
is, and that's allright w/ me. I don't dare put it under a microscope
though. Sometimes not knowing is bliss. :-)
-- dw

Old December 2nd 05, 08:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Robbo wrote:
Recently got what appears to be a heavily damaged wheat penny in change
however upon looking at it more closely it seems the thing was struck that
way. The only thing I do know is that the first three numbers on the date
are "1..9..0" and the rest of it isn't discernible so I'm guessing it's a
1909 something or other. Oh well, it's probably just another damaged 1909 S
VDB, tons of those around no doubt but I'll never know by looking at this
thing. In the lock-box it goes I guess never to be seen again

Should not be that hard to figure out. Since is says 190? and is a
lincoln it has to be a 1909. Since the mint mark would fall between
the 9 and the 0 and be below it, my assumption is there is no mint
mark. Since you do not indicate if the reverse is damaged or not, I
assume you should be able to tell if there is a VDB or not. If there
is the coin is a 1909P VDB and if not the coin is a 1909P.

David