Help on Leslie Charteris book

Old March 20th 11, 02:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Don Phillipson[_2_]

Default Help on Leslie Charteris book

"J" wrote in message

Apparently one of the Leslie Charteris collections of Saint stories,
first published by Doubleday, was originally set in the U.S. and
featured Inspector Fernack as Simon's nemesis on the police force.
When the Hodder edition was published in London, the stories all had a
UK setting, and Fernack had been replaced by Inspector Teal. (Or it
might well have been the other way around, depending on whether it was
published before or after LC moved to the States.)

I have tried various Google searches to track down what I saw that
day, but without success. Could anyone possibly tell me which book
this is, or point me in a useful direction?

Wikipedia offers for "Simon Templar"
"In The Saint in New York, Teal's American counterpart,
NYPD Inspector John Henry Fernack, was introduced, and
he would become, like Teal, a Inspector Lestrade-like foil
and pseudo-nemesis in a number of books, notably the
American-based World War II novels of the 1940s."
We may not take this for gospel, but it suggests the
stories set in the USA were written later rather than
earlier. The biog. entry for Charteris says he lived in
the USA (Hollywood) for 20+ years from 1932. This
also links to web sites for both author and character.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old March 20th 11, 09:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
J[_2_]

On Mar 20, 9:27*am, "Don Phillipson" wrote:

Wikipedia offers for "Simon Templar"
"In The Saint in New York, Teal's American counterpart,
*NYPD Inspector John Henry Fernack, was introduced, and
he would become, like Teal, a Inspector Lestrade-like foil
and pseudo-nemesis in a number of books, notably the
American-based World War II novels of the 1940s."

That, at least, narrowed it down: I was reasonably certain it was a
book of short stories, and not of novellas. It turns out to be THE
HAPPY HIGHWAYMAN. In my copy, 'The Smart Detective' begins:
"Lieutenant Corrio was on the carpet." But in the British versions, it
begins: "Inspector Corrio was on the carpet."

Thanks for the clue!

leslie nielsen? Mr Black Autographs 4 October 3rd 06 02:41 PM
Another RTS : Leslie Nielsen Leatherface Autographs 5 December 13th 05 11:33 PM
McGregor/Leslie Bcoton Autographs 3 March 6th 04 04:14 AM
LESLIE BROOKS Denise noe Autographs 1 October 26th 03 03:30 AM
Got Leslie Neilsen gary Autographs 2 October 15th 03 10:03 PM