AMI I 200 Selector Problem

Old November 18th 10, 09:13 PM
wendlandt wendlandt is offline
Junior Member

Default AMI I 200 Selector Problem

I am working on a AMI I 200 jukebox, I recently picked up. I have never working on one of these. When you make a selection, some of them register and some do not. The letter keys all seem to register, but the upper number keys do not. If I punch in A 20, the selector will go through all the motions, but will just spin and never find the pin. I have to stop it manually. Does anyone have any idea where I need to look??
Old November 19th 10, 08:25 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Rob in NYC[_2_]

--
wendlandt

I'll assume that "the selector" -is the search unit on the front of
the mech. When this happens on AMI's it usually means that either
there is no.poor continuity in the series contacts on the keyboard or,
the "scratch' contacts (the ones that spin -not- the stepper ones
that step up then reset) are not making contact. It is possible that
the stepper contacts are also worn/pitted.

Essentially, you'll have to take the cover off and examine the
spinning and stepping contacts for wear. Check that there is adequate
contact pressure by -carefully- trying to lift them off the contact
board that they ride on. Be careful not to bend them, but see that
there is some pressure. If they are not too badly worn, but making
poor contact you can remove them and just bend slightly to add a
little more pressure. I have owned an I-J-K-Continental's one and two,
-all had this problem. In fact, AMI changed the design of those
contacts beginning with the "L" in that they were flipped and now sort-
of scratched instead of riding on the elbow of the copper contact
metal.

The keyboard contacts can be easily checked with an ohmmeter or any
DVM/multimeter

Rob
Old November 19th 10, 04:39 PM
wendlandt wendlandt is offline
Junior Member

WOW!! Thank you very much Rob! That is a great help. I am going to start with the keys. I have already cleaned the scratch contacts in the pulse generator and they look great. I did not hit the keyboard too hard. Thank you again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob in NYC[_2_] View Post