1928 Specimens?

Old November 15th 03, 06:25 PM
Anonymous Joe

Default 1928 Specimens?

Trying to find out what a $5,000 FRN 1928 series looked like, and came
across
http://www.coinsite.com/content/coin...ecimen5000.asp

Noticed the site said it was a specimen note. The serial is unique,
*00000000*, but I would've though that somewhere on the note it would say
SPECIMEN, similar to the way the Euros do.

You can easily read the statement on the note that says it "....IS legal
tender ... "

So, how did they mark specimens, and if it is just with a fancy double-star
serial, then isn't it actually worth $5k, unlike the Euros where they have
SPECIMEN written on them and they're worth nothing?

Old November 15th 03, 07:22 PM

Somehow this note doesn't look real. It looks like monopoly money. Maybe
it's because of the green tint on the paper. See another note of the same
series at http://www.frbsf.org/currency/world/nocirc/1682.html
Tom Chao

Old November 15th 03, 10:24 PM
Jim

"Anonymous Joe" se offers....

Trying to find out what a $5,000 FRN 1928 series looked like, and came across

http://www.coinsite.com/content/coinpics/Specimen5000.asp

As Tom Chao mentioned in his response, very queer looking artists depiction at
best, of what the $5000 note ultimately was released as.

Noticed the site said it was a specimen note.

No, not if it was a depiction.

The serial is unique, *00000000*

Artists license could have just as easily made it $$0000000$$.

but I would've though that somewhere on the note it would say SPECIMEN,

similar to the way the Euros do. So, how did they mark specimens, and if it is
just with a fancy double-star serial,

The entire SPECIMEN (printed on actual PM paper, as opposed to "proofs", or
uniface representations probably printed on art paper stock) discussion as it
relates to US paper money, is limited to a couple truths.

1.) The US doesn't "do" (create, release, leak, etc..) specimen notes with
anywhere near the calculated frequency as the WPM community does. Or to put it
more strongly, almost never.

2.) I've only seen a handful of photos of US specimens/proofs and in that
handful, only 1-2 with the word "specimen" marked on it. Generally the only
indication is the 000000000 (BTW, w/o stars) or alternate 1234567890 s/n.

3.) What specimen notes of US paper money do exist, you can bet they are almost
all in museums or the BEP and don't see the light of day very often. Yes, I'm
sure a very few are in collector hands, but not many.

I am not sure nor have I ever seen, anyone claim any written policy re specimen
notes, that even exists.

Gene Hessler, even with all his available resources, wrote, what I perceive to
be, an exhaustive piece on US PM re specimens back in 1979. But even so, it is
woefully thin in respect to the over 140 years of US printed money history we
have to draw upon.

Always here for my fellow syngraphist or oenophile.
--=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=--
Old November 16th 03, 08:31 AM
jimmyfc

Did anyone notice the series of the bill, it is 1934B. There has been
a longstanding controversy as to whether any high denom. notes were
printed for 1934B . What is known is that specimens for this
denomination and series were produced. In all likelihood, this is a
picture of a specimen currently in government possession.
I have a question of my own, about US specimens. Every US specimen I
have heard of, is either uniface or part of a complete sheet. Are
there exceptions?(excluding notes cut up from sheets after the fact.)