Delcampe

Old December 23rd 08, 01:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

Default Delcampe

In this group it was suggested I look into Delcampe. I have never used
Delcampe; loaded it up one time, didn't have a clue what I was doing
so backed out of it. The prices seemed quite high on a couple of items
I looked at and shpping and handling stinks.
I doubt I will ever order from them but would like some feedback
before I send the website to my wastebasket.

Thanks,

Ralphael, the OLD one...and Merry CHRISTmas to all.
Old December 23rd 08, 03:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_2_]

On Dec 22, 5:37*pm, Ralphael1 wrote:
In this group it was suggested I look into Delcampe. I have never used
Delcampe; loaded it up one time, didn't have a clue what I was doing
so backed out of it. The prices seemed quite high on a couple of items
I looked at and shpping and handling stinks.
I doubt I will ever order from them but would like some feedback
before I send the website to my wastebasket.

Thanks,

Ralphael, the OLD one...and Merry CHRISTmas to all.

I'm a big fan, and I'm not even the target audience, being an
American.

It's "Wild West" -- the way eBay was at the beginning, but even more
so. Everyone speaks different languages, uses different catalogues,
accepts different payment systems, has different shipping policies,
scans at different resolutions, prices things differently (relative to
catalogue) and on and on and on.

Their integrated payment module -- which takes some doing to join as
an American -- is sparkling. And I've met some great people through
the site.

Just be sure to understand the terms of every auction. Some people
will mail your stamps in individual glassines in reinforced photo
mailers for 85 eurocents and accept mint postage stamps in payment.
Some will stick the stamps in a paper envelope and charge you 6 Euros
for registered mail, even if the item is less than a Euro.

Because there are no listing fees, and because final value fees are
calculated on the /aggregate/ of a month's sales, people can -- and do
-- list things for a penny. Just try /that/ on eBay.

Stick with it. It's a keeper.

Joshua McGee
http://tinyurl.com/mydelcampelink
http://www.mcgees.org/stamp-offers/
Old December 23rd 08, 03:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
John Tollan

It's a great site! Friendly, cooperative, honest. I've picked up some
fantastic material at good prices and made some valuable contacts.

John

--
(remove "notme" and "jack")

Old December 23rd 08, 06:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bobstamp

Me too. I've gotten some great items on Delcampe, especially postcards
that would probably never appear on eBay. I've had minor problems with
language differences, but have managed.

Bob
Old December 23rd 08, 10:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Gerhard Reichert

"Ralphael1" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
In this group it was suggested I look into Delcampe. I have never used
Delcampe; loaded it up one time, didn't have a clue what I was doing
so backed out of it. The prices seemed quite high on a couple of items
I looked at and shpping and handling stinks.
I doubt I will ever order from them but would like some feedback
before I send the website to my wastebasket.

Thanks,

Ralphael, the OLD one...and Merry CHRISTmas to all.

I have completed more than 600 auctions with Delcampe as a buyer only and
found a lot of fine items. Prices of the lots are lower than the Ebay
prices, bidder fights are rare. I like this website and auction platform
very well.

kind regards

Gerhard

Old December 23rd 08, 12:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

On Dec 22, 10:12*pm, Joshua McGee wrote:
[...]

Thanks to the responders for their positive posts.
Loks like I will have to dive in instaed of just getting my toes wet.

RtOo
Old December 23rd 08, 07:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Geezer.

"Ralphael1" wrote in message
In this group it was suggested I look into Delcampe. I have never used
Delcampe; loaded it up one time, didn't have a clue what I was doing
so backed out of it. The prices seemed quite high on a couple of items
I looked at and shpping and handling stinks.
I doubt I will ever order from them but would like some feedback
before I send the website to my wastebasket.

Thanks,

Ralphael, the OLD one...and Merry CHRISTmas to all.

Go to the International site :- www.delcampe.net to see the largest number
of items.

At the moment there are over 6,300,000 items listed under Philately.

Join Moneybookers if you can - give PayPal some much needed competition.
Geezer.

Old December 24th 08, 12:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_2_]

On Dec 23, 11:27*am, "Geezer." wrote:
Join Moneybookers if you can - give PayPal some much needed competition.
Geezer.

A note on that: someone claimed that new Moneybookers accounts owned
by Americans are blocked (I think it has something to do with gambling
sites) but if you can get one, don't worry about the "payments between
US users and between US and foreign users" being banned -- due to
Moneybookers' "special arrangement", payments to sellers through the
Delcampe Electronic Wallet system count as payments to a /merchant/,
and are permitted.

Moneybookers is fantastic: but do not that withdrawals, unlike PayPal,
are /not free/ for sellers.

--
Joshua McGee, Los Angeles, California, USA
Member: APS, ATA, ISWSC, AFDCS, MBPC, MCC, BPS
Old December 24th 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
hvschaik

I totally agree with Gerhard.
Delcamp is much cheaper than Ebay. Perhaps it is because I have a very
special collection area and have a good relationship with some vendors
have built up. My collection area: Indonesia tax stamps. Very rare.
See what I mean:
http://home.planet.nl/~hvschaik/

Kind regards,
Hans

Old December 24th 08, 03:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On 23 Dec, 02:37, Ralphael1 wrote:
In this group it was suggested I look into Delcampe. I have never used
Delcampe; loaded it up one time, didn't have a clue what I was doing
so backed out of it. The prices seemed quite high on a couple of items
I looked at and shpping and handling stinks.
I doubt I will ever order from them but would like some feedback
before I send the website to my wastebasket.

Thanks,

Ralphael, the OLD one...and Merry CHRISTmas to all.

I've only used it to buy postcards, where I too have got a few gems
that I've never seen on eBay. I don't think I've ever had anyone
bidding against me, and for this reason savvy Delcampers will set
their starting prices a bit higher that eBayers, but if the price
isn't right -- don't buy and see if they reduce it.

Since auctions can get relisted for ever, it avoids the annoyance of
losing something because you forgot to bid, or didn't need it at the
time, though the downside is that people leave up lots of dross that
will never sell.

You have to check the payment method in case they only accept
something not easily obtainable, like Zim dollars that won't devalue
before arrival.

For stamps, it's a handy online catalogue, with numbers from all
different cats, which is useful when someone here talks about a stamp
by number without adding the year and brief description.

In short, don't neglect the "other" auction sites. For buyers at
least, there's a certain advantage in obscurity.

Chris

Delcampe Ralphael1 General Discussion 1 August 8th 06 08:28 PM
cards on Delcampe bgbanknotes Cards:- non-sport 0 February 6th 06 07:50 PM
stamps on Delcampe [email protected] General Discussion 0 February 1st 06 04:20 PM
stamps on Delcampe [email protected] Marketplace 0 February 1st 06 04:20 PM