A couple of curly ones.

Old January 28th 10, 01:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default A couple of curly ones.

http://cjoint.com/data/bCpErA2ff8.htm

Not my stamp, but I am curious,
can green get to purple somehow, without intervention?

Old January 28th 10, 03:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Peter Baumann[_2_]

Am 28.01.2010 14:33, schrieb rodney:
http://cjoint.com/data/bCpErA2ff8.htm

Not my stamp, but I am curious,
can green get to purple somehow, without intervention?

Hello Rodney,

never seen that "inverted Georgie".
The 9d colour, is described in the Michel as violet-brown, so I think
the description in SG is wrong (printing error). Btw, I never saw a
colour changing from green to violet or purple. From green to yellow or
blue, or something in between - ok.

Peter

--
No Gates - no Bill!
Old January 28th 10, 03:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Hi Peter,
I nearly shot myself in the foot there,
I was going by my own database, and I haven't an agate 9d
I should have checked with SG.
so it is more feasable it could be a bleached agate 9d.
It is not my scan, so there could be a scanner error as well.
Definitely not from Green

The inverted "georgie" is just a joke (I fell for it)
One cannot have an invert, with a single plate issue.
(blame photoshop I guess)
cheers mate.
rodney

Old January 28th 10, 04:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Yes, thanks Nick,
if not a scanner error, I'd suggest it (the deep agate) has met
with bleach somewhere along the line.
rodney

"Nick Bridgwater" No@Spam wrote in message . 109.145...
There is both a 9d (pale) olive-green and a 9d (deep) agate in the 1912-24
GV issue. The scan is probably of the latter though looks rather purple
when compared to my copy.

regards,
Nick

Old January 28th 10, 04:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Nick Bridgwater[_2_]

There is both a 9d (pale) olive-green and a 9d (deep) agate in the 1912-24
GV issue. The scan is probably of the latter though looks rather purple
when compared to my copy.

regards,
Nick

Peter Baumann wrote in news:hjs8pf$ift$1
@news01.versatel.de:

Old January 28th 10, 04:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Calculated guess?
line up 2 or more under a scanner and toggle.
Registration is immediately discernible.
but I accept your argument, there are indeed.

"Rein" wrote in message news
How do you know it is a single plate issue???

There are plenty of monocolour stamps out there printed from 2 plates or cylinders ...

groetjes, Rein

Old January 29th 10, 10:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

In a recent message Nick Bridgwater No@Spam wrote:

There is both a 9d (pale) olive-green and a 9d (deep) agate in the 1912-24
GV issue. The scan is probably of the latter though looks rather purple
when compared to my copy.

regards,

They often look like that. I suspect a degree of water damage
suffered when being soaked.

It certainly has nothing to do with the green version that superseded
the agate version in 1922. I am not sure why this was done,
but may have been due to the difficulty of seeing cancels on a dark stamp

Known shades are agate, pale agate, deep agate and very deep agate

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
Old January 29th 10, 06:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
peter Baumann

Am 28.01.2010 17:48, schrieb Nick Bridgwater:
There is both a 9d (pale) olive-green and a 9d (deep) agate in the 1912-24
GV issue. The scan is probably of the latter though looks rather purple
when compared to my copy.

regards,
Nick

Peter wrote in news:hjs8pf$ift$1
@news01.versatel.de:

Am 28.01.2010 14:33, schrieb rodney:
http://cjoint.com/data/bCpErA2ff8.htm

Not my stamp, but I am curious,
can green get to purple somehow, without intervention?

What about this one, from my collection?

http://s861.photobucket.com/albums/ab180/imhotep/

I would call that dark/black-violet.

Peter

Old January 29th 10, 09:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

In a recent message peter Baumann wrote:

What about this one, from my collection?

http://s861.photobucket.com/albums/ab180/imhotep/

I would call that dark/black-violet.

I have scanned a specimen of my own, along with the
appropriate colour card from the Stanley Gibbons
Stamp Colour Key

http://www.italianstamps.co.uk/gb/9dagate.jpg

Quite a good match

There is a hint of purple in agate

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk
Sent using RISCOS using VirtualAcorn-SA running on a PC.
.... 2400 Baud makes you want to get out and push!!

A couple more Sue H Autographs 2 March 16th 07 02:10 AM
A couple Sue H Autographs 0 January 5th 06 04:53 PM
One that got away - and a couple that didn't Francis A. Miniter Books 0 May 2nd 05 12:57 AM
FA: Couple of Nice Indian Cents and Couple Nice Proof Lincolns dmzcompute Coins 2 March 6th 05 04:02 PM
FA:Old Photo GIRL w CURLY Blond Hair HUGs DOLL Photograph AVP Dolls 0 April 15th 04 04:16 AM