100 dollar coins

Old February 21st 07, 05:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
kathy1945

Default 100 dollar coins

Why is it that we don't have 10, 20, 50 or even 100 dollar coins that
trade at face value and don't have be bought as "collectors' items,
eg. the gold eagle coins that a person must pay bullion + artistic
value for? They would be easy to carry (wouldn't have to have so
many) and would be great for hoarding, like in the old days.

Old February 21st 07, 06:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
numist

On Feb 20, 11:06 pm, "kathy1945" wrote:
Why is it that we don't have 10, 20, 50 or even 100 dollar coins that
trade at face value and don't have be bought as "collectors' items,
eg. the gold eagle coins that a person must pay bullion + artistic
value for? They would be easy to carry (wouldn't have to have so
many) and would be great for hoarding, like in the old days.

Ever found a little change in the couch cushions or between the car
seats?

Ever wonder how it got there?

A hundred dollar coin or two going missing like that could make a
person rip up some perfectly good furniture

Just a little something to think about.

Ric B.

Old February 21st 07, 11:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

Too easy to fake, if coins were produced with the high face values that you
mention the number of fakes being produced would very quickly exceed the
production by the mint. Billy

oups.com...

Old February 21st 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
kathy1945

A hundred dollar coin or two going missing like that could make a
person rip up some perfectly good furniture

I can dig it, but I'm pretty careful with $100 bills and a little
cavalier with the ones. Wouldn't you just adjust your thinking?

Old February 21st 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

?Wouldn't you just adjust your thinking?

Yes, but most people can't do that. That's why Oprah is so popular.

Old February 21st 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
kathy1945

On Feb 21, 5:50 am, "note.boy" wrote:
Too easy to fake, if coins were produced with the high face values that you
mention the number of fakes being produced would very quickly exceed the
production by the mint. Billy

They already fake our bills. Remember the times when 20's and 100's
wouldn't be accepted, and even when they are, they got marked to
death. Surely they could come up with ways to counterfeit-proof (more
or less) the coins, equivalent to the off-center, color, holographic
methods used on bills. What about embedded computer or magnetic chips
or something like that? I sure would like such a compact AND almost
indestructible way to keep money.

Old February 21st 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"kathy1945" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 21, 5:50 am, "note.boy" wrote:
Too easy to fake, if coins were produced with the high face values that
you
mention the number of fakes being produced would very quickly exceed the
production by the mint. Billy

They already fake our bills. Remember the times when 20's and 100's
wouldn't be accepted, and even when they are, they got marked to
death. Surely they could come up with ways to counterfeit-proof (more
or less) the coins, equivalent to the off-center, color, holographic
methods used on bills. What about embedded computer or magnetic chips
or something like that? I sure would like such a compact AND almost
indestructible way to keep money.

The USA government won't get rid of the $1 note so there is zero chance of
them issuing high denomination coins, I doubt if any country ever will due
to the fear of fakes coins being easier to make than fake notes.

These high tech suggestions would make the cost of production too high
compared to a note.

It's difficult to have a high denomination note accepted by a shop keeper,
it would be impossible to get them to accept a high denomination coin in
payment. Billy

Old February 22nd 07, 12:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

On Feb 21, 12:06 am, "kathy1945" wrote:
Why is it that we don't have 10, 20, 50 or even 100 dollar coins that
trade at face value and don't have be bought as "collectors' items,
eg. the gold eagle coins that a person must pay bullion + artistic
value for? They would be easy to carry (wouldn't have to have so
many) and would be great for hoarding, like in the old days.

Unless the coin has intrinsic value like the old gold/silver coinage,
what would be the point of hoarding them?

Old February 22nd 07, 01:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC

wrote in message
oups.com...
?Wouldn't you just adjust your thinking?

Yes, but most people can't do that. That's why Oprah is so popular.

Yet people woke up to W and his con game.

Old February 22nd 07, 11:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
beekeep

On 20 Feb 2007 21:06:26 -0800, "kathy1945" wrote:

Why is it that we don't have 10, 20, 50 or even 100 dollar coins that
trade at face value and don't have be bought as "collectors' items,
eg. the gold eagle coins that a person must pay bullion + artistic
value for? They would be easy to carry (wouldn't have to have so
many) and would be great for hoarding, like in the old days.

They're to hard to fold in my money clip.

beekeep

Prez dollar coins numist Coins 3 February 14th 07 05:24 PM
New dollar coins phil Coins 35 May 5th 04 12:03 AM
45 coins for a dollar Don Sherman Coins 3 February 28th 04 07:17 PM
Dollar Coins ?SBA/GD Malanutt 4 Life Coins 11 January 12th 04 04:27 PM
Dollar coins George D Coins 1 October 16th 03 02:44 PM