A Dash around some of London's finest Bookshops

Old December 23rd 03, 12:03 AM
Tom L-M

Default A Dash around some of London's finest Bookshops

Had an hour or so to kill this morning, and thought I'd have a quick gander
at the offerings of the Charing X Road lot - Quinto, Any Amount of Books,
Henry Pordes and a couple of the Cecil Court'ers' - Red Snapper and Rees
O'Neill.

Always feel slightly intimidated by the Cecil Court shops, due to their
usually high prices, and so generally only wander into one or two - often
those with a cheap table outside. To begin this frantic 'see how many shops
one can visit within the hour' contest was Rees O'Neill. My, what a lovely
shop, all organised, tidy, alphabetical - just right. Not too much stock,
but what was there was great in selection and quality. First few volumes I
picked up were G. Greene 1sts in immaculate wrappers - too pricey for this
collector, End of the Affair at around £250 - Im hoping to get a similar
condition copy for around £100 - am I in cuckoo land? Moved on to E. Waugh -
nice copy of Scott King's - but not as good as mine, and at 4 times the
price, £40 - I wasnt hopeful. The reissue of Vile Bodies - hmm, looks
suspiciously like the one I was outbid for on eBay a few months back - went
for £7.50 - this was £50ish. The Sermons of Monsignor Knox - nice, slightly
worn/browned - £200+ if I can remember correctly. But then a £25 copy of The
Loved One, with some wear to spine, but not priceclipped, was snapped up.
So - thats the end of that shop, as my wallet dictated.

Over the way, (about 10 yards) to Red Snapper Books - again a nice cheapie
table outside lured me in - Picked up the reissue of Auden's New Year Letter
for £3, marked down from £30 - very apt, I though, esp. at that price - Rest
of the stock was fantastic, if a bit centered on Beat/etc generation - but
sadly out of my price range - didnt dare inquire of the Jacketed 1st of
Brideshead in the window - nor the 1st OFOTCN by Kesey.

Challenging the ravaging winds of Charing Cross Road, I arrived at Quinto -
and I must say that I was quite dissapointed. 25% sale starting that day
didnt whet my appetite, as IMHO the prices were 30- 50% too high to begin
with - one dealer, on hearing this felt that it was an ominous sign of a
company needing sales...However, the entire stock is to be changed in early
Janurary - so hopefully better pickings next year!

Any Amount of Books was much more interesting - and a nicer looking shop,
but unforunately it was a matter of in - look at 1sts and Lit Crit for my
authors - find nothing, and out - I was in a rush, as the window of Henry
Pordes appeared fantastic, with leather bound 7 Pillars, and Vellum Letters
of Gertrude Bell!

Pordes wins my vote for the finest shop - lovely atmosphere, bubbly,
interesting and knowledgeable staff/managers - great selection of
Antiquarian, rare, secondhand and remainded books - all at reasonable
prices. Again no striking firsts unlike the shops in Cecil Court - but
cheaper prices - one customer commented that a certain art book was £45 in
un autre magasin, and only £18.95 in Pordes - another satisfied customer. By
far the busiest shop with constant ringing of the tills. When I had found
the T.E. Lawrence section I was ecstatic to spot the 1st Uk tome of an
authorised biography - for only £22.50 - it damn near killed me the rest of
the day on Oxford Street and in Knightsbridge - but it is home, intact, and
in its fine/fine, unread condition looks superb on the shelf - Almost bought
a copy for double that price a few weeks ago. Leather was simply sumptuous
here, if a bit pricey - but I admit the condition was excellent, and on the
whole, original.

Wishing everyone a nice Christmas, and a brag filled New Year!

Cheers,

Tom L-M