odd things mailed

Old October 4th 03, 09:26 PM
Tom Loepp

Default odd things mailed

I just came from an antique show, the closest thing to a stamp show
around here. Actually there is much attention paid to Wyoming paper,
letters, books, etc. Anything with Indians, Rodeo, Yellowstone and the
like goes for a premium. I just look for anything sent through the
mail of interest. Today I came away with a patriotic eagle postcard
from 1906, a Lowney's Chocolate advert card with an Native American on
it to go into my American Indian Collection, a Cuban postcard, a 1907
Black Americana postcard with the Sambo-type characters for my Black
Americana collection, a 1955 Black caricature joke postcard (It seems
to be a prevalent phenomenon for quite some time, these derogatory
racial items), and about the smallest mailed postcard that I have, 2
inches by 3-1/2 inches mailed 1916. But the most interesting item is a
"fisherman's ruler" with a tag attached by string. The tag has two 1
cent prexies canceled in what looks like Wayzata, Minnesota sent to
Moorhead. The ruler is about 7 inches long but is marked up to 23
inches, the old "exaggerated size of the fish that got away" joke. In
talking to various dealers I learned that there were all kinds of
souvenirs like this sent through the mail, one being a bear in a
crate. These things all had a place for an address and stamp. I
presume that these "content" items much like the Sheriff notices that
I mentioned earlier are of little interest to the philatelist beyond
the postmark. I just add them to my "oddball things sent through the
mail" collection. What are some of the oddball things you all have
that were posted?
TL

Old October 4th 03, 11:29 PM

I had started a similar collection a while ago, but sounds like you
hit the mother lode!

I have found postcards from Salt Lake City with little bags of salt
attached to them. Try something like that these days!

I also have two pairs of wooden shoes that safely made it through the
mail. They are about an inch and half in length, 3/4 inch wide, 3/4
inch tall. Each has a blue tag about 3 inches by 1 1/2 inches, tied
to the shoes with blue twine.

One set was sent from Atlantic City, and was posted in 1937 to Saint
Louis, Missouri with the 3 cent purple Washington (Scott 720) . It
has Atlantic City burned into one side of one shoe, and the other shoe
has a windmill burned into it.

The other set is from Longview, Washington and mailed to Mitchell,
Nebraska, but there is no date for the postmark. It has the 2 cent
Army and Navy for Defense stamp (Scott 900) which places it after
October 1940. It also has the town name (Longview, Wash) burned into
the side of one shoe, and a windmill burned into the side of the other
shoe.

I think I have some other things in the basement, but the shoes were
the easiest to find right away.

Rich Engel

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 20:26:40 GMT, Tom Loepp
wrote:

[...]

stlview at earthlink dot net doesn't get read very often, unless you are a bill collector. Then it doesn't get read at all.
NNNN

NNNN
Old October 5th 03, 12:10 AM
Tracy Barber

wrote:

[...]

I've seen glove-cards... leather post cards that look like a glove.
From the Leatherstocking region in NY.

I've seen wooden post cards. I have one unused.

Tracy Barber
Old October 5th 03, 12:21 AM
Dave Kent

Perhaps the oddest thing I have heard of being mailed was eggs! They used
special padded containers, and these weren't souvenirs -- they were real eggs,
mailed I suppose from one rural address to another. But then, it's been legal
for years to mail baby chicks if you follow the proper procedures. You can mail
live crickets, too.
Old October 5th 03, 02:03 AM
Tom Loepp

Rich,
I see the bag of salt and other varieties like cotton but have yet to see one that was mailed. Actually I've seen all sorts of
unmailed things. The shoes sound quite unique though. I know that I have some another odd thing around but I can't remember
what or where it is. One not so odd thing is a "photo method" cookbook.
Tom

Old October 5th 03, 02:05 AM
PMATS5

For several years now I have had an exhibit of various things I have collected.
The exhibit is titled "OOPS" and contains various things that have gone
through the mail. Some are errors and others are just strange. One type of
item was popular in the first 20 years of the 20th century. Leather items from
postcards and pouches (such as the ones mentioned that contained salt) One of
the more curious items I have (other than a couple of pieces of plywood!) is
this "Pillow Post Card." The reverse of the card says "Peaceful Nights and
Joyful Days to You."

I have posted a scan at:

http://members.aol.com/pmats7/pillow.jpg

George
(Curator of the Strange)
(Or is that Strange Curator)

Old October 5th 03, 02:09 AM
Tom Loepp

Tracy Barber wrote:

...What are some of the oddball things you all have
that were posted?

I've seen glove-cards... leather post cards that look like a glove.
From the Leatherstocking region in NY.

I've seen wooden post cards. I have one unused.

Tracy Barber

Tracy,
I have quite a few posted leather and wooden cards, one is birch bark. I
see them often but only buy the nicer and cheaper ones. Often times the
stamps fall off of the leather ones. I also see them unused. When they are
priced $15 to $25 I pass on them but I'll spring for $5 for one. The glove
cards sound interesting especially if they are postmarked from the
neighborhood of the industry. I have a coat shaped postcard from 1906 but
it is just a card.
TL

Old October 5th 03, 02:16 AM
Tom Loepp

George,
That reminds me of my postcard of a kitten that when squeezed it makes some sort
of a meow.
One of my bad habits is when I travel to mail to myself flight sickness bags often
times with a watercolor cachet painted on them. Naturally the all white ones are
preferred, unused.
TL

Old October 5th 03, 04:39 AM
Tracy Barber

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 01:09:08 GMT, Tom Loepp
wrote:

Tracy Barber wrote:

...What are some of the oddball things you all have
that were posted?

I've seen glove-cards... leather post cards that look like a glove.
From the Leatherstocking region in NY.

I've seen wooden post cards. I have one unused.

Tracy Barber

Tracy,
I have quite a few posted leather and wooden cards, one is birch bark. I
see them often but only buy the nicer and cheaper ones. Often times the
stamps fall off of the leather ones. I also see them unused. When they are
priced $15 to $25 I pass on them but I'll spring for $5 for one. The glove
cards sound interesting especially if they are postmarked from the
neighborhood of the industry. I have a coat shaped postcard from 1906 but
it is just a card.

I'll try to find the scan of the one that was in a recewt auction I
was working on.

Tracy Barber