where is Travancore ?

Old November 14th 09, 04:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
phantomm_1

Default where is Travancore ?

ok,

maybe...Trincomali or Karikal.

"rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au wrote in message

I'd check on that Barry,
that appears to be Tamil (Toothukudi)
Tamil Nadu State which is the Eastern side of the Ghat Mountains
Google Madurai and Tuticorin
rodney

"phantomm_1"
"Asia-translation"
That is an interesting map you have there Rodney. I see it shows
Madras as still part of the Nizam's Dominions. I suspected you of
conservative leanings, but turning the clock back that far? (Though
I've failed to find another, more recent, map of a suitable size.)

One of my maps shows Madura and Tuticorin for Travancore.

Old November 16th 09, 01:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
phantomm_1

Have you studied Ohm's Law.

"rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au wrote in message

Resistance is futile.

An excellent map, Rodney. I've bookmarked it ... in case I should
ever suffer a brainstorm, and start collecting Travancore seriously.

Old November 16th 09, 01:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

"phantomm_1"
Have you studied Ohm's Law?.

Eat my shorts

Old November 16th 09, 01:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
phantomm_1

no, thank you.
I've heard enough snapping and popping lately.

"rodney" wrote in message

"phantomm_1"
Have you studied Ohm's Law?.

Eat my shorts

Old November 16th 09, 09:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

To return this conversation to the elevated intellectual level it had
reached at one point ... Here is a Travancore cover (which arrived
today) addressed to Cochin State, showing the arrangement by which
Travancore and Cochin exchanged mails with each other, without
additional charge:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...over-front.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...cover-back.jpg

Tony of the Antipodes

phantomm_1 wrote:
no, thank you.
I've heard enough snapping and popping lately.

"rodney" wrote in message

"phantomm_1"
Have you studied Ohm's Law?.

Eat my shorts

Old November 16th 09, 09:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"Asia-translation"
To return this conversation to the elevated intellectual level it had
reached at one point ...

Nothing exists except atoms and empty space; everything else is opinion.

Here is a Travancore cover (which arrived
today) addressed to Cochin State, showing the arrangement by which
Travancore and Cochin exchanged mails with each other, without
additional charge:

Serendipity again
I had a part cancel "EXPERIMEN" and had been most curious,
thanks for posting those very nice images.
That's very convenient, you can collect Cochin, and have a closet
collection of Travancore at the same time

Old November 16th 09, 10:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

OK my turn to brag and tell,

"On Sirkar Service"

Travancore SGO4b (1921) 10 cash pink with left "S" inverted.

(The 7th stamp on the bottom row)

http://cjoint.com/data/lqlTEZts5m.htm

rodney

phantomm_1 wrote:
no, thank you.
I've heard enough snapping and popping lately.

"rodney" wrote in message

"phantomm_1"
Have you studied Ohm's Law?.

Eat my shorts

Old November 17th 09, 08:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

So you've come around to the idea of inverted letters, have you,
Rodney?

I'll raise the stakes to an inverted right 'S' on a 3 Chuckram

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...avancore13.jpg

and hang the expense!

phantomm_1 wrote:
no, thank you.
I've heard enough snapping and popping lately.

"rodney" wrote in message

"phantomm_1"
Have you studied Ohm's Law?.

Eat my shorts

Old November 17th 09, 11:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Ahem, not collecting Travancore Tony?
I tug my forleock to your random specimens
that you just seem to have on hand.

I am having a marriage tiff with Travancore,
bloody watermarks, a right pain in the donkey,
I find I can only spend a brief time with them before I lose faith.
I would think I need the very expensive SG watermark machine
if I need to go deeper.

I leave you with a few SG1 examples.

There were (or supposed to be) just two colours, dark blue and light blue.
http://cjoint.com/data/lrmGuwVw11.htm

phantomm_1 wrote:
no, thank you.
I've heard enough snapping and popping lately.

"rodney" wrote in message

"phantomm_1"
Have you studied Ohm's Law?.

Eat my shorts

Old November 18th 09, 08:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

Rodney, when you say 'SG 1', I assume you are speaking in Simplified
terms. SG 1, in Part 1 terms, was on laid paper, and I would be
prepared to make a modest wager that not all the stamps in your scan
are on laid.

The watermarks, though, certainly are a bed of nails. One (and a very
good one) reason for avoiding Travancore for places - such as Barwani,
to name but one - that didn't plague the poor, honest collector with
watermarks. ...

phantomm_1 wrote:
no, thank you.
I've heard enough snapping and popping lately.

"rodney" wrote in message

"phantomm_1"
Have you studied Ohm's Law?.

Eat my shorts

Travancore~one for Tony Mac. rodney General Discussion 13 August 14th 09 12:26 PM
Travancore. rodney General Discussion 17 August 8th 09 12:19 PM
Travancore. rodney General Discussion 33 May 27th 09 10:10 AM
Seek: Travancore Rod Marketplace 0 August 10th 07 12:46 PM
Travancore question Tony Vella General Discussion 6 July 29th 07 08:32 AM