US query minisheets.

Old September 11th 09, 03:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default US query minisheets.

Scott 1075 (SG unknown)
http://cjoint.com/data/jlqMEngYIS.htm
Were people allowed to cut the stamps out individually and
use for franking letters?

Thanks.

Old September 11th 09, 04:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On 11 Sep, 16:41, "rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au wrote:
Scott 1075 *(SG unknown)http://cjoint.com/data/jlqMEngYIS.htm
Were people allowed to cut the stamps out individually and
use for franking letters?

Thanks.

SG MS1077 @ £2.25 in 2000 cat, which also lists the single imperf
stamps: MS1077a = 3c @ 85p, and MS1077b = 8c @ 95p. Same price for
mint or used in each case.

Chris
Old September 11th 09, 11:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

SG MS1077 @ £2.25 in 2000 cat, which also lists the single imperf
stamps: MS1077a = 3c @ 85p, and MS1077b = 8c @ 95p. Same price for
mint or used in each case.
Chris

Cheers,
I must have had a "senior moment" misreading "In compliment"
with "with compliments", I couldn't see the USPS giving away stamps.
I also had individuals of the 1947 sheet cancelled, I notice that also
is marked "In compliment".

Old September 12th 09, 11:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On 12 Sep, 00:05, "rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au wrote:

SG MS1077 @ £2.25 in 2000 cat, which also lists the single imperf
stamps: MS1077a = 3c @ 85p, and MS1077b = 8c @ 95p. Same price for
mint or used in each case.
Chris

Cheers,
I must have had a "senior moment" misreading "In compliment"
with "with compliments", I couldn't see the USPS giving away stamps.
I also had individuals of the 1947 sheet cancelled, I notice that also
is marked "In compliment".

"In compliment to ... exhibition" is an unusual wording which wouldn't
be used in English English (or Australian it seems). English English
would say: "With compliments at" = free, or "With compliments to" =
"what a wonderful exhibition", or "Compl_e_mentary to" = "In
connection with the exhibition" (whether free or not).

Perhaps one of our American readers can elucidate.

Chris
Old September 12th 09, 11:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rein

"This Program is given in compliment to His Excellency, Most Rev. John
Bonzano, DD., Apostolic Delegate to the United States by the Committee on
Special War Activities of the National Catholic War Council,"

PITTSFIELD, Mass., Oct. 15 -- Dr. and Mrs. Austen Fox Biggs of The Knoll,
Stockbridge, gave a dinner last night in compliment to the Medical
Advisory Board of the Austen Fox Riggs Foundation.

An excellent pear; ripe in October. Raised by M. André Leroy, of Angers,
in 1863, and named in compliment to the wife of M. Henri Desportes,
foreman of M. Leroy's extensive nurseries.

http://www.opera.com/mail/
Old September 12th 09, 05:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On 12 Sep, 12:44, Rein wrote:
"This Program is given in compliment to His Excellency, Most Rev. John *
Bonzano, DD., Apostolic Delegate to the United States by the Committee on *
Special War Activities of the National Catholic War Council,"

PITTSFIELD, Mass., Oct. 15 -- Dr. and Mrs. Austen Fox Biggs of The Knoll, *
Stockbridge, gave a dinner last night in compliment to the Medical *
Advisory Board of the Austen Fox Riggs Foundation.

An excellent pear; ripe in October. Raised by M. André Leroy, of Angers, *
in 1863, and named in compliment to the wife of M. Henri Desportes, *
foreman of M. Leroy's extensive nurseries.

Thanks. The English English (or maybe just modern) wording in all 3
examples would be "in honour of" or "in appreciation of".

Chris

--
Gemaakt met Opera's revolutionaire e-mailprogramma: *http://www.opera.com/mail/

Old September 13th 09, 08:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

Puts me in mind of that ancient story of the Australian visitor to the
USA. Asked his occupation, the Australian answered "I'm a clerk."
Baffled silence, then someone asked incredulously. 'You mean one of
those things that hangs on the wall and goes 'tick tark'?'

Tony of the Antipathies
Old September 13th 09, 10:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

That rated highly on the chuckle meter.

We have a long history of "taking the ****"
I think it began with the British archers giving the French what for at Agincourt
and the two findered salute.

Of course years later the Italians caught on, and that guy released the record "Shaddup ya face!"
It was a number one hit in Aus and the UK, and popular right throughout Europe.
We embrace all cultures in Australia, the only passport required is a healthy sense of humour.