Jefferson First Spouse: Today's the day!

Old August 30th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jim Seymour

Default Jefferson First Spouse: Today's the day!

For those who may have forgot, today's the day for the Jefferson "First
Spouse" gold coins.

What with the slow page draws and occasional timeouts, it took me 23
minutes from initial login to my confirmation email.

Good luck, everybody!

--
Jim Seymour
Old August 30th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ken Barr

In article , Jim Seymour
wrote:

For those who may have forgot, today's the day for the Jefferson "First
Spouse" gold coins.

What with the slow page draws and occasional timeouts, it took me 23
minutes from initial login to my confirmation email.

Good luck, everybody!

Took me 31 minutes with no timeouts ... I guess you have
a better connection than I do, or a better ISP ...

--
Ken Barr Numismatics
P. O. Box 32541 website:
Old August 30th 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ira

I signed on at 1:58 EST, and the Jefferson First spouse coins, both
proof and mint state, are now on back order and apparently sold out.
Probably waited too long. I signed on at 11AM this morning and the
item was not yet up for sale. With a limit of one of either kind per
house hold I was hoping for a wider window. I guess not!

Ira

Old August 30th 07, 07:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
reality

On Aug 30, 11:17 am, Ira wrote:
I signed on at 1:58 EST, and the Jefferson First spouse coins, both
proof and mint state, are now on back order and apparently sold out.
Probably waited too long. I signed on at 11AM this morning and the
item was not yet up for sale. With a limit of one of either kind per
house hold I was hoping for a wider window. I guess not!

Ira

Maybe you (and me) are OK. The mint's site was crashing all over the
place before 1:30 EST. I got mine about the same time as you did, but
it says backordered with an expected ship date of 10-9-2007.

Old August 30th 07, 08:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Aug 30, 2:49 pm, "Harv" wrote:
"Ken Barr" wrote in message

... In article , Jim Seymour

wrote:

For those who may have forgot, today's the day for the Jefferson "First
Spouse" gold coins.

What with the slow page draws and occasional timeouts, it took me 23
minutes from initial login to my confirmation email.

Good luck, everybody!

Took me 31 minutes with no timeouts ... I guess you have
a better connection than I do, or a better ISP ...

Hi.. 23 minutes?.. 31 minutes?.. hah, you guys lead a charmed life.. i was
on The Mint's site at 859am PT and it was loading like greased lightning..
as soon as the clock ticked over to 900am PT, it turned into frozen
molasses.. pages wouldn't load, or would load partially, the product page
for the Jefferson non-First Spouse Gold would load but the "add to cart"
button wouldn't appear.. after half an hour of loading and reloading, i
finally got it to load so i could add it to the cart, then the "complete
checkout" page wouldn't load.. over and over, refresh, reload, i finally got
to the "enter your CC stuff" page, and after a solid hour of this nonsense,
got an order number and a Web receipt and a few minutes later, an email
receipt.. the product page is still accepting orders for both coins but
they've re-worded them and now they say you can get on a waiting list
because all 40,000 have been ordered.. when i Track my order it says
in, in the first hour.. and an order number and a confirmation email an hour
an a half before they changed the description to add the waiting list
verbiage.. while i was doing this on the computer, i thought what the Hell,
i'll try their phone lines.. well those went from "Welcome to the United
States Mint" then some bloops and bleeps and a "your call cannot go
through", to an instant "your call cannot go through", then to just a busy
signal when trying to dial it and not even getting any kind of message.. so
i gave up on that and went back to the Web process.. i don't know if i'll
get the coin or not.. i've never placed an order, then Tracked it and seen
the "Status: order is on hold" verbiage before.. but i got the order in, in
the first hour.. so hopefully i won't get shut out..

i totally missed out on Martha and Abagail because i had the wrong date..
now someone tell me, in this whole planned series, is Jefferson allegedly
supposedly going to be the only one that doesn't have an actual wife on it
but has a Liberty instead?.. well i shouldn't say wife, i should say
"spouse" because if Hillary gets elected, then her Gold Spouse coin would
have Bill on it.. .. which would be interesting, because his Presidential
Dollar will have him on it too.. or if she got elected, would there be a
Bill Gold Spouse coin with Hillary on it, and then later a Hillary Gold
Spouse coin with Bill on it?.. of course, if Larry Craig got elected
President it would have.. umm.. what, a Minneapolis cop's shoes on it?..
well i don't think we'll have to concern ourselves with the possibility of a
President Larry Craig coin..

Thanks
Harv

The front page of the Mint webpage now shows the Bronze medal version
as the featured item - the "booby" prize, I guess. But at $3.50 the
price is right.

As far as the design goes - I like the obverse a lot, but the reverse
seemed uninspired ... Jefferson's tomb marker??

Old August 30th 07, 08:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

On Aug 30, 12:39 pm, Jim Seymour wrote:
For those who may have forgot, today's the day for the Jefferson "First
Spouse" gold coins.

What with the slow page draws and occasional timeouts, it took me 23
minutes from initial login to my confirmation email.

Good luck, everybody!

--
Jim Seymour

Tokk me about the same amount of time, maybe a little longer. Very
annoying.

Old August 30th 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
A. Bolmarcich

On 2007-08-30, Harv wrote:
[snip]
i totally missed out on Martha and Abagail because i had the wrong date..
now someone tell me, in this whole planned series, is Jefferson allegedly
supposedly going to be the only one that doesn't have an actual wife on it
but has a Liberty instead?

[snip]
The other Presidents who served without a spouse we Jackson, Van
Buren, Buchanan, and Arthur. According to the law authorizing the mint
to make the first spouse coins:

"In the case of any President who served without a spouse ---

"(i) the image on the obverse of the bullion coin corresponding to
the $1 coin relating to such President shall be an image emblematic of
the concept of 'Liberty' ---

"(I) as represented on a United States coin issued during the
period of service of such President; or

"(II) as represented, in the case of President Chester Alan Arthur,
by a design incorporating the name and likeness of Alice Paul, a
leading strategist in the suffrage movement, who was instrumental in
gaining women the right to vote upon the adoption of the 19th
amendment and thus the ability to participate in the election of
future Presidents, and who was born on January 11, 1885, during the
term of President Arthur"
Old August 30th 07, 10:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
kodakoda

It's 5:35 PM EST and it looks like the mint is still
taking orders. I think by saying backordered it
means a later shipping date (not known at this time).

"Ira" wrote in message
ups.com...
I signed on at 1:58 EST, and the Jefferson First spouse coins, both
proof and mint state, are now on back order and apparently sold out.
Probably waited too long. I signed on at 11AM this morning and the
item was not yet up for sale. With a limit of one of either kind per
house hold I was hoping for a wider window. I guess not!

Ira

Ken Barr wrote:
In article , Jim Seymour

Old August 30th 07, 11:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
bgg

On Aug 30, 10:54 am, Ken Barr wrote:
In article , Jim Seymour
wrote:

For those who may have forgot, today's the day for the Jefferson "First
Spouse" gold coins.

What with the slow page draws and occasional timeouts, it took me 23
minutes from initial login to my confirmation email.

Good luck, everybody!

Took me 31 minutes with no timeouts ... I guess you have
a better connection than I do, or a better ISP ...

--
Ken Barr Numismatics
P. O. Box 32541 website: http://www.kenbarr.com
San Jose, CA 95152 (souvenir cards, MPC, Hickey Bros tokens)
408-272-3247 Next show: Fairfield CC September 9 (tentative, no table)

How are the Adams and Washington first Spouse coins doing? I took a
quick look on eBay, and they don't seem to be commanding much of a
premium.

http://www.trimeguy.com

Old August 30th 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Wes Chormicle[_2_]

I logged in at 11:55 and waited... The Jeff's came up at about 12:02. The
system was VERY slow (I have a T-3 connection speed). Got the Conf. email
time stamped at 12:20.