Perhaps OT, miscut $20 bill

Old August 15th 08, 07:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[Mr.] Lynn Kurtz

Default Perhaps OT, miscut $20 bill

I have a $20 bill that I set aside some time ago because it was cut in
such a way that the right side border is completely missing and the
left side border is twice as wide as it should be. Does anybody care
about such discrepancies or collect such bills? I know if it was a
postage stamp with a serious printing error it might be worth
something, but this??? I figure it has to be worth at least $20. :-)

--Lynn
Old August 15th 08, 11:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mark Kness

On Aug 15, 1:34 pm, "[Mr.] Lynn Kurtz" wrote:
Does anybody care about such discrepancies or collect such bills?

There are certainly collectors of error notes, and some can go for
very high prices, but as usual it depends.
I think that small errors, that just make the note look poorly
printed, are not worth much if anything beyond
face. Dramatic errors are certainly collectible, however. Hard to
say without a picture.

Beware of 'mis-cut' notes which are made from the sheets that the BEP
issue. These have (IIRC) serial
numbers starting with several 9's. Mis-cut notes with these serials
are fraudulent, made by a scammer
with such a sheet and some scissors.
Old August 16th 08, 01:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[Mr.] Lynn Kurtz

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 15:14:57 -0700 (PDT), Mark Kness
wrote:

On Aug 15, 1:34 pm, "[Mr.] Lynn Kurtz" wrote:
Does anybody care about such discrepancies or collect such bills?

There are certainly collectors of error notes, and some can go for
very high prices, but as usual it depends.
I think that small errors, that just make the note look poorly
printed, are not worth much if anything beyond
face. Dramatic errors are certainly collectible, however. Hard to
say without a picture.

Beware of 'mis-cut' notes which are made from the sheets that the BEP
issue. These have (IIRC) serial
numbers starting with several 9's. Mis-cut notes with these serials
are fraudulent, made by a scammer
with such a sheet and some scissors.

Well it doesn't have the 9's. After examining it again I realize that
border on the other side is normal on all sides, so maybe it is
mis-printed instead of mis-cut. I could post a .jpg scan of both sides
somewhere but I don't know if I would be breaking any laws by copying
it.

--Lynn
Old August 16th 08, 02:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Scott Stevenson

wrote:

[...]

It's entirely possible that the margins on the back can be even,
while the margins on the front are not.

The backs are printed first, and a day or two later, the fronts of
the sheets are printed. If a sheet fed perfectly for the back
printing, but misfed slightly on the front printing, the fronts would
then be "offset" slightly.

Depending on exactly how the note was cut, the back might be
perfect, but the front misaligned, or the back might be misaligned,
but the front perfect.

take care,
Scott
Old August 16th 08, 02:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
reality

On Aug 15, 11:34*am, "[Mr.] Lynn Kurtz" wrote:
I have a $20 bill that I set aside some time ago because it was cut in
such a way that the right side border is completely missing and the
left side border is twice as wide as it should be. Does anybody care
about such discrepancies or collect such bills? I know if it was a
postage stamp with a serious printing error it might be worth
something, but this??? I figure it has to be worth at least $20. :-)

--Lynn

Go to:

http://www.donckelly.com/

Bigtime currency guy. Give him a call and then send him the digital
images and he will tell you what you've got.

Old August 16th 08, 06:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MJKolodziej

wrote:

[...]

If you have a newer printer\scanner it won't scan.
mk

Old August 16th 08, 04:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Farley

I have a sheet of 32 $2.00 bills and they do start with 99. Had to go
look as I had not taken notice if it. This is only one sheet but it is
that way.
Bruce

Old August 16th 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Farley

I have a scanner about 2 years old and it makes great scans of bills.
When did they put in anti bill software?
Bruce

Old August 16th 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jon Purkey

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 08:36:07 -0700, Bruce Farley
wrote:

I have a scanner about 2 years old and it makes great scans of bills.
When did they put in anti bill software?
Bruce

Depends on the bill and whether the scanner recognizes the EURion
constellation. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurion

There is another system:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central...terrence_Group

But it's not clearn from the article how it works.

BTW, although the mis-cut bill may not have much premium over face,
they are interesting. I've had a $1 bill in my collection for some
time which has almost no top border and about twice the normal border
at the bottom.

"ECHR's November bill for Turkey is 400,000 Euros, The EU begging bowl bill for lazy greek scroungers is USD $5 BILLION"... The Kostas Papafloratos Abuser -)))))))))))))))) Coins 1 December 15th 06 12:06 PM
Bill to bill changer stonej Coins 5 October 12th 05 12:53 AM
Looking for info about miscut $1 notes Chris Scheers Paper Money 1 June 14th 04 09:52 PM
Regan on $10 bill, $20 bill OR dime? Wheeler Coins 20 June 11th 04 08:41 PM
$200 bill? Bob Flaminio Paper Money 4 September 18th 03 01:43 AM