Back of US $1 bill

Old March 11th 04, 06:02 AM
A.E. Gelat

Default Back of US $1 bill

Can someone please tell me the symbolism of the pyramid and the eye on the
back of a US $1 bill? The only thing I understand is the date at the bottom
of the pyramid -- 1776 in roman numerals.

Tony

Old March 11th 04, 10:17 AM
JSTONE9352

Can someone please tell me the symbolism of the pyramid and the eye on the
back of a US $1 bill? The only thing I understand is the date at the bottom
of the pyramid -- 1776 in roman numerals.

Tony

It involves pyramid power, secret organizations and big brother watching you

with that "eye" at the top of the structure.

Probably best to drop the subject right
now before you get into serious trouble.

(just kidding, I don't remember what
it really is supposed to mean).

Old March 11th 04, 11:39 AM
Scottishmoney

"JSTONE9352" wrote in message

Can someone please tell me the symbolism of the pyramid and the eye on

the
back of a US $1 bill? The only thing I understand is the date at the

bottom
of the pyramid -- 1776 in roman numerals.

Tony

It involves pyramid power, secret organizations and big brother watching

you
with that "eye" at the top of the structure.

Probably best to drop the subject right
now before you get into serious trouble.

(just kidding, I don't remember what
it really is supposed to mean).

Actually I have heard the symbols harken to the masonic traditions of many
of the founders of the USA, including George Washington. Not knowing much
about masonism, other than it seems like a cult to me I cannot verify
whether that is true or not.

Dave

---

Old March 11th 04, 12:17 PM
Darren

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 06:39:52 -0500, "Scottishmoney"
wrote:

Actually I have heard the symbols harken to the masonic traditions of many
of the founders of the USA, including George Washington. Not knowing much
about masonism, other than it seems like a cult to me I cannot verify
whether that is true or not.

There's an interesting explanation he
http://www.qsl.net/w5www/dollarbill.html
---------
If you turn the bill over, you will see two circles. Both circles,
together, comprise the Great Seal of the United States. The First
Continental Congress requested that Benjamin Franklin and a group of
men come up with a Seal. It took them four years to accomplish this
task and another two years to get it approved.

If you look at the left-hand circle, you will see a Pyramid. Notice
the face is lighted, and the western side is dark. This country was
just beginning. We had not begun to explore the West or decided what
we could do for Western Civilization. The Pyramid is uncapped, again
signifying that we were not even close to being finished. Inside the
capstone you have the all-seeing eye, an ancient symbol for divinity.
It was Franklin's belief that one man couldn't do it alone, but a
group of men, with the help of God, could do anything.

"IN GOD WE TRUST" is on this currency. The Latin above the pyramid,
ANNUIT COEPTIS, means, "God has favored our undertaking." The Latin
below the pyramid, NOVUS ORDO SECLORUM, means, "a new order has
begun." At the base of the pyramid is the Roman Numeral for 1776.
----------

I thought it was because 'mericans built the pyramids and that nice
man President Bush has an all seeing eye.

Thanks
Darren

Old March 11th 04, 12:34 PM
Scottishmoney

"Darren" wrote in message There's an
[...]

Great, a Brit(Darren) knows more about the buck than me

Dave
"sticking to my quids"

---

Old March 11th 04, 01:03 PM
Darren

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 07:34:17 -0500, "Scottishmoney"
wrote:

Great, a Brit(Darren) knows more about the buck than me

(Cough!) Ahem... and Englishman.

Thanks
Darren
'Can out Google at 20 paces'

Old March 11th 04, 02:55 PM
AnswerMan2

Here's a quote from my Coin Clinic column:

Q: What is the meaning of the design on the back of the $1 notes?
It's a copy of the Great Seal of the U.S., adopted in 1782. Here is a quote
from Chick O'Donnell's "Standard Handbook of United States Paper Money: "Series
1935 $1 Silver Certificates are the first to carry both the obverse and the
reverse of the Great Seal. The positioning of the two sides of the seal as
incorporated in the original design was the opposite to that actually adopted.
The Great Seal was adopted in 1782 - even before the adoption of our
Constitution. On the front is depicted an American Eagle breasted by a shield
with our national colors. The bird holds in its right talon an olive branch,
symbolic of peace, of 13 leaves and 13 berries. In the left talon is a bundle
of 13 arrows signifying the original colonies fight for freedom. A ribbon
flying from the beak carries the motto "E Pluribus Unum" which is translated
"One out of many," a reference to the unity of the 13 colonies. Over the
eagle's head is a constellation of 13 five-pointed stars surrounded by a wreath
of clouds. The reverse of the seal is also rich in symbolism. The pyramid is
representative of permanence and strength. At its base in Roman numerals
appears "1776," the year of the Declaration of Independence. The structure's
unfinished condition denotes that there was still work to be done to form a
more perfect government and signifies the expectation that new states would be
added to the Union. The eye in the triangular glory represents an all-seeing
deity and with the motto "Anuit Coeptis" aludes to the many signal
interpositions of Devine Providence in the forming of our government. The motto
is translated "He (God) has favored our undertakings. "Novus Ordo Seclorum" is
translated as "A new order of the ages" and in the words of the designers of
the seal, signifies "The beginning of the New American Era."
Alan Herbert
The AnswerMan
Old March 11th 04, 06:04 PM
Scottishmoney

"Darren" wrote in message
Great, a Brit(Darren) knows more about the buck than me

(Cough!) Ahem... and Englishman.

Thanks
Darren

I guess even an englishman can have good days... Musta been those Scawtty
notes he have in his wee collections

Dave

---

Old March 11th 04, 10:57 PM
Coin Saver

Can someone please tell me the symbolism of the pyramid and the eye on the
back of a US $1 bill? The only thing I understand is the date at the bottom of
the pyramid -- 1776 in roman numerals. Tony

The pyramid symbolizes strength and endurance; the eye symbolizes Illuminatus,
the ever-present deity which watches over us. The phrase "New World Order"
(novus ordo seclorum) does not refer to the current "fad" Gen. X 'revolution'
definition, but rather stands for an "Order" (set of laws or directives) for
the "New World" (America); meaning the US Constitution.

Back then, the concept of a peoples being ruled not by Kings, Monarchs, or
Dictators, but rather being ruled by a piece of paper was unheard of,
inconceivable, and thought to be destined to doom. It seemed unfathomable to
the Europeans that a society would pay homnage and alegience to a mere
document; and that, as the "representitive" of that document (the President)
was unseated every four years, there could be no solid loyalty.

Additionally, the structuring of many leaders instead of one (Senate & House of
Representatives, and the Supreme Court) seemed to the Europeans to be courting
chaos (too many leaders) and anarchy.

8-]
Coin Saver