PC To ROWE/AMI CD100c

Old June 4th 12, 03:48 PM
kountry kountry is offline
Junior Member

Default PC To ROWE/AMI CD100c

I am converting a Rowe/AMI Cd100c Jukebox to a PC mp3 jukebox. The previous owner stated the Amp was working fine. I have removed the cd mechanism and I have plugged my computer into the amp with RCA cables using the "cd in" rca female connectors on the amp. For about 5 seconds I have great sound then it fades to nothing. If I unplug the amp I will get a second or so of sound again (like the capacitor is discharging). Am I putting to much power into the amp from my computer or does the Amp need repairs? Also, the orange wire with black strip coming from the amp with a 4 prong female connector is not plugged into anything. Any advice would be great.

Thank you in advance!

UPDATE: I have read that the Orange wire with the black stripe is the "mute" wire. It is my understanding that this needs to be connected or the sound automatically mutes. Does anyone know where this wire will go?

Last edited by kountry : June 4th 12 at 04:39 PM.
Old June 6th 12, 01:32 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

--
kountry

Check also that there isn't a problem with the volume control. If
there was an open circuit in that, then it is possible from memory
that you could have a situation where it makes a sound for a short
time and then dies. Check the terminals where you screw the volume
wires too, make sure none of the spade lugs on the back have come off,
or have corroded.

IF the amp didn't work in the first place, you may have a mute fault
on the board.

You can try lifting one end of D5, D8 (these force the AVC to a low
level when mute activated) and D16. which is in circuit with the mute
relay. When this relay is closed, it shorts the audio signal to
ground, just before it leaves the pre-amp.

For that plug, which is a 6 way, not a 4 way
looking at the socket on the amp from the front,.

28vDC = top left is red, or red/white
Ground = top right is black (or white/black)
Mute = bottom left is orange/black

This 28vdc goes to pin 4 of the power supply connector on the side
(that box where the amp mains power plugs into). The mute looks like
it goes to ground to mute it, and is open to un-mute it, so it should
be disconnected.

The ground also goes to the power supply connector - either pin 7,8 or
9.
Try these and see if it helps.

Also the pre-amp has an AVC feature. It will continuously vary the
volume level in order
to keep it fairly constant, to compensate for the differing recording
levels between songs.

This may present a problem if using anything other than the ROWE
system to drive it, in
that without the MUTE signal being released (by the CCC) just before
the start of a song
you will get the amp going incredibly LOUD for several seconds, then
reducing when you first play a song after no songs have been played
for a minute or more.

If this is a problem, there is a switch on some amps that is marked
"AVC on/off - and should be turned off. If not, then you can
unsolder one end of both D11 and D12 to prevent the AVC circuit from
monitoring the audio, and adjusting.

ROWE CD100c MANUAL chuckster Juke Boxes 1 August 20th 08 12:57 AM
Rowe CD100c [email protected] Juke Boxes 6 February 10th 06 02:14 PM
rowe/ami R 74 Jim Kreczmer Juke Boxes 1 May 31st 04 06:09 PM
FS: rowe/ami parts; rowe, rockola, whurlitzer manuals stevethedomer Juke Boxes 0 October 26th 03 12:19 AM
FS : Rowe Ami MM-1 in Pa. Dan Crouthamel Juke Boxes 0 September 26th 03 06:06 PM