topical collecting listings

Old December 9th 04, 03:00 PM
Tony Vella

Default topical collecting listings

A local friend has shown interest in putting together a topical collection,
butterflies, and asked me where he could get a world-wide listing of issues
up to, say, the year 2000. I tried googling but came up with no more than
"for sale" adverts. I suppose one could very well go through the 6 volumes
of Scott page by page and make up one's own list (on any topic), but I'm
pretty sure that has already been done sometime, somewhere. A push in the
right direction would be appreciated. TIA.
--
Tony Vella in Ottawa, Canada

Old December 9th 04, 03:36 PM
Roger Smith

"Tony Vella" wrote in message
A local friend has shown interest in putting together a topical collection,
butterflies, and asked me where he could get a world-wide listing of
issues
up to, say, the year 2000. I tried googling but came up with no more than
"for sale" adverts. I suppose one could very well go through the 6
volumes
of Scott page by page and make up one's own list (on any topic), but I'm
pretty sure that has already been done sometime, somewhere. A push in the
right direction would be appreciated. TIA.
--
Tony Vella in Ottawa, Canada

Tony

A quick look at Vera Trinder's website (www.vtrinder.co.uk) shows for sale a
thematic catalogue on butterflies published by Domfil. Apparently in
English and Spanish you should be able to find a source for this in Canada.

You will find plenty of references to Domfil under Google.

Regards, Roger

Old December 9th 04, 03:48 PM
amesh \(Mette\)

"Tony Vella" skrev i en meddelelse
A local friend has shown interest in putting together a topical collection,
butterflies, and asked me where he could get a world-wide listing of
issues
up to, say, the year 2000. I tried googling but came up with no more than
"for sale" adverts. I suppose one could very well go through the 6
volumes
of Scott page by page and make up one's own list (on any topic), but I'm
pretty sure that has already been done sometime, somewhere. A push in the
right direction would be appreciated. TIA.

Catalogues Domfil may be the best option.
They have specialized catalogues on Cats, Chess, Europa Cept, Prehistorics
and Fossils, Flowers, Butterflies, Protected Fauna, Olympic Winter Games,
Railways, Basketball, Dogs, Disney, Automobiles, Games of the Olympiad (Host
Cities), Scouting and other youth movements, Mushrooms, Birds, Marine Life,
and more.

Country catalogues for Belgium, Netherlands, Gibraltar, Liechtenstein,
Monaco

Their Butterfly-catalogue has just been published in the 25th ed.

The distributor for USA is:
Amos Hobby Publishing, P.O. Box 828, Sidney, OH 45365-0828
www.amosadvantage.com
--
Best regards
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)

Old December 9th 04, 05:03 PM
RRoyPERFIN

A local friend has shown interest in putting together a topical collection,
butterflies, and asked me where he could get a world-wide listing of issues
up to, say, the year 2000. I tried googling but came up with no more than
"for sale" adverts. I suppose one could very well go through the 6 volumes
of Scott page by page and make up one's own list (on any topic), but I'm
pretty sure that has already been done sometime, somewhere. A push in the
right direction would be appreciated. TIA.
--
Tony Vella in Ottawa, Canada

A quick check of the American topical Association website -
www.americantopicalassn.org - shows a checklist of 88 pages for Butterflies -
revised in July 2004. I believe that this is probably the most comprehensive
listing available.
Old December 9th 04, 05:47 PM
Eric Kenneth Bustad

In article ,
Tony Vella wrote:
A local friend has shown interest in putting together a topical collection,
butterflies, and asked me where he could get a world-wide listing of issues
up to, say, the year 2000. I tried googling but came up with no more than
"for sale" adverts. I suppose one could very well go through the 6 volumes
of Scott page by page and make up one's own list (on any topic), but I'm
pretty sure that has already been done sometime, somewhere. A push in the
right direction would be appreciated. TIA.

The American Topical Association publishes checklist for various topics and
its website http://www.americantopicalassn.org/ lists one for Butterflies
that was updated in July 2004. But these seem to be available only to members.
Annual dues for someone using a non-US address is US$30. Then there is a
charge for reproduction and mailing of the checklist.

= Eric
--
= Eric Bustad, Norwegian bachelor programmer
Old December 9th 04, 08:11 PM
Larry

In article , "Tony Vella"
writes:

A local friend has shown interest in putting together a topical collection,
butterflies, and asked me where he could get a world-wide listing of issues
up to, say, the year 2000

The American Topical Association has an 88-page checlist updated last summer
available for purchase by members. See
http://www.americantopicalassn.org/c...klists_a-e.htm

Larry in Berkeley, California(sea otter 6 at aol dot com)(no spaces in address)
Old December 10th 04, 01:49 AM

Tony Vella wrote:
A local friend has shown interest in putting together a topical

collection,
butterflies, and asked me where he could get a world-wide listing of

issues
up to, say, the year 2000. I tried googling but came up with no more

than
"for sale" adverts. I suppose one could very well go through the 6

volumes
of Scott page by page and make up one's own list (on any topic), but

I'm
pretty sure that has already been done sometime, somewhere. A push

in the
right direction would be appreciated. TIA.
--
Tony Vella in Ottawa, Canada

Hi,

I have a few butterfly series depicted on my web site.
Some of these may be of interest to you (my web
site is non-commercial and the items shown are not
for sale):

Bhutan 3D Butterflies

http://www.somestamps.com/pages-arti...32-200409.html

The Kenya 1988 Butterfly Definitives

http://www.somestamps.com/pages-arti...28-200408.html

Malaysia Butterflies

http://www.somestamps.com/pages-arti...35-200409.html

New Zealand Butterfly High Value Definitives

http://www.somestamps.com/pages-arti...21-200406.html
hope you like these,

tony

Old December 10th 04, 11:50 AM
kevin

the American topical assoc. part of the APS.... kk

--
Kevin Kienlein
Vernon, BC, Canada...

Old December 11th 04, 02:26 AM
Tony Vella

"Tony Vella" wrote in message
A local friend has shown interest in putting together a topical

collection,
butterflies, and asked me where he could get a world-wide listing of

issues
up to, say, the year 2000. I tried googling but came up with no more than
"for sale" adverts. I suppose one could very well go through the 6

volumes
of Scott page by page and make up one's own list (on any topic), but I'm
pretty sure that has already been done sometime, somewhere. A push in the
right direction would be appreciated. TIA.
--
Tony Vella in Ottawa, Canada

Thanks to all for your help. My friend does not have internet, or a
computer for that matter, and when he expressed interest in setting up a
butterfly-stamps collection I thought I would get him a w-w list of issues
for Christmas. I will look around some more for a quick download and if all
else fails I will get him a Domfils catalogue by snail mail. Once again,
thanks a lot.
--
Tony Vella in Ottawa, Canada

Old December 16th 04, 04:00 AM
TC

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 21:26:25 -0500, "Tony Vella"
wrote:

"Tony Vella" wrote in message
[...]

Is this a beginning collector?
Would butterfly stamps be welcome?