Longfellow's Evangeline - Trying to date a copy

Old June 12th 04, 12:00 PM
Jeff Clough

Default Longfellow's Evangeline - Trying to date a copy

I have a vintage copy of Longfellow's Evangeline sans date that I'm
trying to gather a little information on and I'm hoping someone here
can help me out. I'm hoping for any information on this edition, it's
date, anything about the publisher, etc. Or pointers to other
resources that may be of help to me in my quest.

What I have here is a pocket-sized book bound in what looks like
suede. The cover bears only the name "Evangeline" on the spine with
no other identifiers other than a vine-like imprint on the suede
itself, front and back.

The title page gives the title as "Evangeline" ("Evangeline, A Tale Of
Acadie" appears at the top of the main text, beginning on the next
page) and a publisher: Valentine Black Co. Ltd., Duncan Street,
Toronto, Ont.

There are only two illustrations in this book. An image of Longfellow
opposite the title page, and the title page itself which consists of a
woman writing upon a scroll and a cherub, over a shield with the
initials "VB" (assuming this is the publisher's mark).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Jeff
Old June 13th 04, 05:14 PM
Jerry Morris

Jeff wrote and I snipped
......There are only two illustrations in this book. An image of
Longfellow opposite the title page, and the title page itself which
consists of a woman writing upon a scroll and a cherub, over a shield
with the initials "VB" (assuming this is the publisher's mark).
Jeff,

I am surprised that there aren't any other illustrations in this book.
The publisher, Valentine-Black was noted for its postcards and travel
books. I also can't believe a Canadian publisher of travel books would
pass up the opportunity to provide illustrations of Nova Scotia in its
publication of Evangeline, Tale of Arcadie. Several other Toronto
publishers provided illustrations in their editions. I suggest you
look and see if there is a list of illustrations in the book. If so, a
scavenger probably removed the illustrations and sold them on ebay.

It's hard to date this book. I could find no listings of the book
anywhere on the web. Perhaps a library in either Nova Scotia or
Louisiana might have information about the book.

From reviewing the history of the publisher's other publications listed
on the web, I would guess the earliest this book was published was 1910.
If the book contains a list of other works published by Valentine-Black,
that might help to date your edition.

Hope this helps.
Jerry Morris

(Jeff=A0Clough)
[...]