What is going on?

Old January 3rd 05, 01:14 AM
A.E. Gelat

Default What is going on?

All of a sudden, rec.collecting paper-money, rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
and rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace are full of porn postings. What is
going on?

Tony

Old January 3rd 05, 01:40 AM
Rodney

I am not receiving any Tony.
Have you used "Adaware and/or Spybot"
to get rid of the gremlins?

Old January 3rd 05, 02:25 AM
Pierre COURTIADE

A.E. Gelat wrote :

All of a sudden, rec.collecting paper-money,
rec.collecting.stamps.discuss and rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace
are full of porn postings. What is going on?

Tony

Tony,

I only read rec.collecting.stamps.discuss.
Like Rodney I have not received any of these postings.

--
All the best,
Pierre Courtiade

Old January 3rd 05, 02:42 AM
Kaleb KEITHLEY

A.E. Gelat wrote:
All of a sudden, rec.collecting paper-money, rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
and rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace are full of porn postings. What is
going on?

Don't see them on my ISP's news server.

--

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY
Old January 3rd 05, 02:50 AM
John DeBoo

Like the other 3 mentioned, I've not seen any either, and I do Ad-Aware,
Spybot and Spyware Blaster.
John

Old January 3rd 05, 03:20 AM

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 19:14:49 -0600, "A.E. Gelat"
wrote:

All of a sudden, rec.collecting paper-money, rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
and rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace are full of porn postings. What is
going on?

There's a UseNet flood. It's in many newsgroups. Some idjit with a
computer thinks they can slog down the bandwidth by flooding all of
the newsgroups with this pap. Been going on, in different flavors,
for years. You just haven't seen it or have ignored it.

Unfortunately, the porn stars are out of the woodwork this time of
night... hawking their wares.

Tracy Barber
Old January 3rd 05, 03:24 AM

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 19:50:40 -0700, John DeBoo
wrote:

Like the other 3 mentioned, I've not seen any either, and I do Ad-Aware,
Spybot and Spyware Blaster.

Unfortunately, those preventative measures will not stop a UseNet
flood, if your ISP is getting those messages. It appears that my ISP
has been partaking of said immaturities - but hey - "public speach"
(quoted from someone long past) and all that.

I'd like to hang 'em from various body parts, but that's not cool when
kids are reading.

Old January 3rd 05, 07:35 AM
Victor Manta

"A.E. Gelat" wrote in message
All of a sudden, rec.collecting paper-money, rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
and rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace are full of porn postings. What is
going on?

Tony

I get none of them, Tony.

What about switching to a different newsgroup server (for example to the one
that I use, and which is free)?

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://www.pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/
Romania by Stamps: http://www.marci-postale.com/
Communism on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/communism/
Spanish North Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/

Old January 3rd 05, 08:48 AM
amesh \(Mette\)

"A.E. Gelat" skrev i en meddelelse
All of a sudden, rec.collecting paper-money, rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
and rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace are full of porn postings. What is
going on?

Tony, there are no such postings on any of the many groups I read. At any
rate they can easily be removed from your screen by clicking "remove" (or
"delete") in the edit-menu.
--
Best regards
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)

Old January 3rd 05, 12:15 PM

A.E. Gelat wrote:
All of a sudden, rec.collecting paper-money,

rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
and rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace are full of porn postings.

What is
going on?

Tony

Hi,

I have not seen any on this newsgroup. I use SBC Yahoo! dial-up and
they are pretty good at filtering stuff out. Anything they do not
catch that looks suspicious they dump in my BULK mail folder so it is
pretty easy to delete the garbage. I also read some MSDN newsgroups
and I think I saw a porn posting there but I am not sure (haven't
checked in a day or so).

Jerry Bodoff