The Price of Copper

Old February 18th 04, 04:01 PM
Bob Flaminio

Default The Price of Copper

There's a thread over on the PCGS boards about the rising price of
copper -- currently up to about $1.33 a pound. If there are
approximately 150 copper cents in a pound, we're getting close to the
point where it will be profitable to *melt* pre-1982 cents.

Alan, better increase your hoarding velocity :-).

--
Bob

Old February 18th 04, 04:11 PM
Alan Williams

"Bob Flaminio" wrote in message
There's a thread over on the PCGS boards about the rising price of
copper -- currently up to about $1.33 a pound. If there are
approximately 150 copper cents in a pound, we're getting close to the
point where it will be profitable to *melt* pre-1982 cents.

Alan, better increase your hoarding velocity :-).

--
Bob

How do you go faster than fast? ;-) I'm certainly not going to invest in
Lincolns as Bullion. ;-) In other words, don't spend the rent money on
coin collecting (or searching). With copper/zinc running about 45/55 in the
rolls I've been getting, I think there is still plenty of time!

Alan
'does about 2000 Lincolns/month'

Old February 18th 04, 04:14 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 08:01:18 -0800, "Bob Flaminio" is alleged
to have written:

There's a thread over on the PCGS boards about the rising price of
copper -- currently up to about $1.33 a pound. If there are
approximately 150 copper cents in a pound, we're getting close to the
point where it will be profitable to *melt* pre-1982 cents.

Alan, better increase your hoarding velocity :-).

It's because of Alan's hoarding that the price is rising. :-)

Bruce

Old February 18th 04, 04:56 PM
Coin Saver

From: "Bob Flaminio"

we're getting close to the point where it will be profitable to *melt*

pre-1982 cents.

Careful. Phil flamed me in 1998 for making this very prediction.

8-0

Coin Saver
Old February 18th 04, 05:15 PM
Bob Flaminio

Bruce Hickmott wrote:
Alan, better increase your hoarding velocity :-).

It's because of Alan's hoarding that the price is rising. :-)

Alan Williams -- the "Hunt Brother of Copper" :-D

--
Bob

Old February 18th 04, 06:01 PM
Alan Williams

"Bruce Hickmott" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 08:01:18 -0800, "Bob Flaminio" is

alleged
to have written:

There's a thread over on the PCGS boards about the rising price of
copper -- currently up to about $1.33 a pound. If there are
approximately 150 copper cents in a pound, we're getting close to the
point where it will be profitable to *melt* pre-1982 cents.

Alan, better increase your hoarding velocity :-).

It's because of Alan's hoarding that the price is rising. :-)

Bruce

SHHHHHH!!! shhhhh!

Alan
'conducting myself copperly'

Old February 18th 04, 06:09 PM
Richard L. Hall

"Bob Flaminio" wrote in message
There's a thread over on the PCGS boards about the rising price of
copper -- currently up to about $1.33 a pound. If there are
approximately 150 copper cents in a pound, we're getting close to the
point where it will be profitable to *melt* pre-1982 cents.

Actually, I've been putting those aside for a few years. I am in the
process of separating them by date and mm and counting them. I will post
the distribution in this group. Of course, living in the east, I have a
disproportionate number of P-mint coins and almost no S-mint. I wanted to
find a set of evenly matched chocolate brown XF coins to match a similar
wheat set I managed to get from a few wheat rolls I have.

The only problem is that as I get older, it becomes more and more difficult
to read the dates on the cents without a magnifier of some sort. I'm going
to have to move to dollars or something with a much larger date.

--
Richard
ANA# R-176949

Old February 18th 04, 07:56 PM
Lyntoy1

The only problem is that as I get older, it becomes more and more difficult
to read the dates on the cents without a magnifier of some sort

Hope you have better luck than me! I am still sitting on around 20 lbs of cents
that I cannot search. The headaches I get looking through a magnifier are just
too much.
Mike
Old February 18th 04, 08:19 PM
Alan Williams

"Lyntoy1" wrote in message
The only problem is that as I get older, it becomes more and more

difficult
to read the dates on the cents without a magnifier of some sort

Hope you have better luck than me! I am still sitting on around 20 lbs of

cents
that I cannot search. The headaches I get looking through a magnifier are

just
too much.
Mike

I'm using a 4x lens, a pretty big one. Be sure you give yourself good
working conditions and go in short stretches. I lay out a green felt piece
that's about 24 by 48 inches, and try not to 'do' more than 20 or 30 coins
without taking a walkaway, letting the eyes readjust, etc.

I'm under 5 60 watt lightbulbs in a 'Mission Style' candelabra, pointing up
at a white ceiling. strong light, but indirect, it fills the room. I don't
work when direct sunlight is coming through the windows.

Alan
'much practiced'