new mystery tokens

Old November 17th 03, 07:12 AM
Forrest Stevens

Default new mystery tokens

I just posted scans and descriptions of a dozen new "mystery tokens"
at:
http://users.pullman.com/fjstevens/t...ry-frames.html

If anyone has any information about any of the tokens, I would be very
interested to hear it, and I will add it to the tokens' web pages.

Old November 17th 03, 07:38 PM
A.E. Gelat

Why is the Iranian token or medal labeled "coin" over the illustration?
Coins are money, and there is no indication of denomination of that at all.

Tony

Old November 18th 03, 04:23 AM
Forrest Stevens

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:38:59 -0600, "A.E. Gelat"
wrote:

Why is the Iranian token or medal labeled "coin" over the illustration?
Coins are money, and there is no indication of denomination of that at all.

As I say in the description, the place selling it calls it a "coin for
the new year" so lacking any better description, I've used that as a
label for it.

Even though it's not technically correct, many people will call any
round piece of metal with an image on it a "coin" and I don't have the
energy to fight them today.

Old November 18th 03, 10:59 AM
Varshney

"Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine Board J&K" (building, mountain)/(shrine?),
20mm, aluminum

Vaishno Devi is a VERY VERY famous temple in Northern part of India.
The temple people give out these tokens with "prasad" (prasad = blessings in
form of some eatable)
These tokens are distributed with the "prasad" and are supposed to be good
luck charm.

Obverse : shows the temple between the mountains
Reverse : the main idols inside the temple.

Hope that helped.

Regards,
Anurag
--