(RCSD) Always Selvedge on Sheets?

Old November 28th 07, 05:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default (RCSD) Always Selvedge on Sheets?

"SkySea" wrote in message

It's an 8.8" x 10.8" sheet. At 150dpi, that's 1320x1620 pixels, or
2.2Mpels. It's 1.2MB with 90% quality, or I get to 528kB at 60%
quality, which then looks like crud. I'm cataloging the entire
collection at 150dpi, which I consider a compromise in quality as is
(I scan singles of my favorites at 600dpi).

What's your secret for redcing the file size without compromising the
quality?

- Dale Gombert (SkySea at aol.com)
122.38W, 47.58N, W. Seattle, WA

You know, I have no idea.
I scan an entire scanner glass pane any topic,
at 150 dpi, and I can see the paper fibres.

I scan at about 85%, scan document, not photo
and it arrives at about 590Kb.
I then crop (lets say an A4 page) and it
results in 1.2Mb.
I then "adjust image" in ACDSee and it comes out about
290Kb. (no apparent loss in quality) I can still see the fibres.
I must say I am not sure the difference scanning an A4 full
colour, but from memory still well under 500Kb

I have yet to encounter posters here who can emulate.
I have on occaisions had A4 scans from posters here, over 5 Mb

Old November 28th 07, 05:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
SkySea[_2_]

"rodney" wrote:
You know, I have no idea.
I scan an entire scanner glass pane any topic,
at 150 dpi, and I can see the paper fibres.

I scan at about 85%, scan document, not photo
and it arrives at about 590Kb.
I then crop (lets say an A4 page) and it
results in 1.2Mb.
I then "adjust image" in ACDSee and it comes out about
290Kb. (no apparent loss in quality) I can still see the fibres.
I must say I am not sure the difference scanning an A4 full
colour, but from memory still well under 500Kb

I have yet to encounter posters here who can emulate.
I have on occaisions had A4 scans from posters here, over 5 Mb

Wow. Well, since it's a stamp discussion group, I'll let it go at
that. But I'd sure be interested in seeing if you could take the file
from the web site and pack it down and e-mail it to me. I'm at 180MB
in scans now, and I'd sure like to be able to cut that back (though
I'm not going to be TOO concerned until I reach CDR or DVD capacity).

=============
Old November 28th 07, 07:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"SkySea" wrote in message
"rodney" wrote:

Wow. Well, since it's a stamp discussion group, I'll let it go at
that. But I'd sure be interested in seeing if you could take the file
from the web site and pack it down and e-mail it to me. I'm at 180MB
in scans now, and I'd sure like to be able to cut that back (though
I'm not going to be TOO concerned until I reach CDR or DVD capacity).

I'll give it a try in the next few days.
I have 2,850 stamp images in my "Hungarian" collection
that equates to 445 Mb.
I havn't done the math, but would even out at around 300Kb
per archive scan, so if you intend to remain with large footprint images
and lots of scans expect to eat up space.

The way for storage is an external HDD, you can get a 160Gb
disk that will fit in your shirt pocket for $145.
You can drag and drop copy as backup.
You will need USB2 if possible.

Old November 28th 07, 07:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"SkySea" wrote in message
Wow. Well, since it's a stamp discussion group, I'll let it go at
that. But I'd sure be interested in seeing if you could take the file
from the web site and pack it down and e-mail it to me.

I clicked "adjust image", and it went from 1.2Mb to 457 Kb
I have emailed it to you.