Pro-Montepio stamps

Old November 26th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Default Pro-Montepio stamps

This question is cross-posted to soc.culture.spain.

I found a couple of stamps with Pro-Montepio on them and also a similar
bunch available on ebay.com and ebay.es from what it appears that they are
of no great value. Since they have 'sin valor postal' on them I presume
they are charity stamps of the 40s like many others except that I cannot
find any information about a 'Montepio'. Would someone please give me an
idea what they are all about. Is Montepio a village or town that met with
problems during the wars? I can't find it in my encyclopędias or my
historical atlas.

Thanks in advance.
--
Tony Vella, Ottawa, Canada
http://tv-stamps.shorturl.com

Old November 26th 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
bc92

Tony Vella asked:
This question is cross-posted to soc.culture.spain.

I found a couple of stamps with Pro-Montepio on them and
also a similar bunch available on ebay.com and ebay.es
from what it appears that they are of no great value.
Since they have 'sin valor postal' on them I presume they
are charity stamps of the 40s like many others except
that I cannot find any information about a 'Montepio'.
Would someone please give me an idea what they are all
about. Is Montepio a village or town that met with
problems during the wars? I can't find it in my
encyclopędias or my historical atlas.
Thanks in advance.

Google and online translation sites say that montepio means
"charitable organization" or "welfare fund", and so on.

hth

--
Best regards,
Bruno

Old November 26th 07, 10:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

"bc92" wrote in message
Tony Vella asked:
This question is cross-posted to soc.culture.spain.

I found a couple of stamps with Pro-Montepio on them and
also a similar bunch available on ebay.com and ebay.es
from what it appears that they are of no great value. Since they have
'sin valor postal' on them I presume they
are charity stamps of the 40s like many others except
that I cannot find any information about a 'Montepio'. Would someone
please give me an idea what they are all
about. Is Montepio a village or town that met with
problems during the wars? I can't find it in my
encyclopędias or my historical atlas.
Thanks in advance.

Google and online translation sites say that montepio means "charitable
organization" or "welfare fund", and so on.

Hi Bruno.

I must be doing something wrong because the only Montepio I can find are
totally unrelated to these Spanish stamps.
Montepio, Mexico, close to Veracruz
Montepio Geral, a Portuguese bank headquartered in Lisbon
Montepio Loreto, an insurance/pension system established in 1970 in Spain
for airline employees.
And a number of Italian Monte Pio links.
--
Tony Vella, Ottawa, Canada

Old November 27th 07, 04:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Nov 26, 12:14 pm, "Tony Vella" wrote:
This question is cross-posted to soc.culture.spain.

I found a couple of stamps with Pro-Montepio on them and also a similar
bunch available on ebay.com and ebay.es from what it appears that they are
of no great value. Since they have 'sin valor postal' on them I presume
they are charity stamps of the 40s like many others except that I cannot
find any information about a 'Montepio'. Would someone please give me an
idea what they are all about. Is Montepio a village or town that met with
problems during the wars? I can't find it in my encyclopędias or my
historical atlas.

Thanks in advance.
--
Tony Vella, Ottawa, Canadahttp://tv-stamps.shorturl.com

Hi Tony:

Further to Bruno's message, I can offer you a scan of a 25c charity
label for the Montepio Maratima Nacional (National Maritime Welfare
Fund)

http://www.teukrion.es/raf347/539a_001.jpg

Blair
Old November 27th 07, 01:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

"Blair (TC)" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Blair and Bruno.

Here's a picture of the complete series of my stamps.
http://cjoint.com/data/lBn14IuQU7.htm . It seems it has something to do with
airlines but the Montepio insurance-pension for airline employees was not
established until 1970 and sellers of these stamps insist they are from the
40s. So I still don't know what the money generated from the sale of this
particular series of stamps went towards.
--
Tony Vella, Ottawa, Canada

Old November 27th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Nov 27, 8:00 am, "Tony Vella" wrote:
"Blair (TC)" wrote in message

[...]

Hello Tony:

These charity vignettes (etiquettes, labels) were issued in the 1940s
and were for voluntary use. The funds raised went a welfare fund
(montepio) for Iberia airlines employees.

This is nothing to do with pensions or a company called Montepio.

As far as I can see, there were 3 values : 50c, 1 pta. and 5 pta.
All 3 values are seen in red , green, and blue, but it appears that
their
final choice for colours was 50c (red) 1 pta. (green) and 5 pta.
(blue).

Also, the 3 values are seen plain and with a variety of overprints.
(Apportacion Voluntaria, Marruecos, Lisboa, and Tanger)

All labels that I have seen are mint or on piece (uncanceled).

Many printing errors exist (double print, print on front and back
etc.)
Who knows if it was sloppy printing or deliberate.

I have seen these labels offered on ebay at prices of 30c to $8 US
per label (but no takers).

At private auction, one lot of 53 mixed labels from this series sold
for 2 Euros (about 4 Euro cents per label)

At another private auction, one lot of all ERROR labels in ten
blocks of 4 (ie 40 stamps) sold for Euros 160.00 (4 Euros each)

I hope that this is helpful.

Blair

Old November 28th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"Tony Vella" wrote in message news:8--

Here's a picture of the complete series of my stamps.
http://cjoint.com/data/lBn14IuQU7.htm . It seems it has something to do

with
airlines but the Montepio insurance-pension for airline employees was not

From:
http://www.creativecomputerconsultin...Lots.asp?CatID
=348
2438 Spain - 1945 Iberia Airlines 9 different flight labels each in
bottom marginal block of 4 with two strikes of Iberia-Montepio
cancels dated between 18 October and 31 December 1945. £5.00

From:http://www.creativecomputerconsultin...ps/ViewLots.as....
=348
2438 Spain - 1945 Iberia Airlines 9 different flight labels each in
bottom marginal block of 4 with two strikes of Iberia-Montepio
cancels dated between 18 October and 31 December 1945. £5.00

At 36 for 5 pounds, that would be 14 pence (28c) per stamp.

Blair
Old November 28th 07, 08:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"Blair (TC)" wrote in message

At 36 for 5 pounds, that would be 14 pence (28c) per stamp.
Blair

For a giggle, I gave "citizendium" a test drive for results.
They are not up to Wiki standards as yet
no results for Iberia
http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Main_Page