FleaBay Flung Dung Today

Old September 6th 04, 03:20 AM
Scottishmoney

Back in 1997 when Princess Diana had died, I auctioned off several sets of
pre-decimal British coinage for the Diana Princess of Wales Fund. I had no
problems whatsoever, bids went high, buyers paid quickly and funds sent
quickly to said fund.

Frankly I think it was harassment. I replied to eBay with a strongly worded
lettre with reference to the number of fraudulent sellers, sellers of
counterfiet items, overgraded - misrepresented coins etc. that are reported
to eBay on a daily basis - WHICH THEY DO NOT DO ANYTHING ABOUT. I sell very
very little on eBay, and buy very little of late also. I have had some
rather negative feelings about eBay and their practices for about a year and
a half, things like paypal, addtl fees etc. This little matter did little
to create positive karma about them.

At least the auction was not pulled, and they will duly collect their FAV
fee. But it maybe their last.
I tried to do something good, and beneficial to a near and dear cause, and
wow I get the big slap on the arse from fleaBay.

Dave
--
emails to (myuserid).at.lycos.com

Tir nam Beann, nan Gleann, s'nan Gaisgeach - Saor Alba A-Nis!
"phil" wrote in message
Did they give anyone a hard time when they were doing the auctions for the
lawsuit vs. whats their problem?
phil
(I smell that familiar odor of....discrimination)

--
Today 50 families will find out their child has autism.
1 in 166 children have an autism spectrum disorder.
"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

"phil" wrote in message
Maybe you could contact them and ask them exactly what their policy

toward
charities is.Do they even have a policy if you want to set up a

charity
auction?I mean,other than contributing to them.
Nice note,too.

Seems I have heard quite often of some celebrity donating something for
auction on Ebay with the proceeds going to a charity. I wonder if

someone
actually complained about the note auction, or if Ebay's sharp eyed
detectives spotted something.

Bruce

---

Old September 6th 04, 04:33 AM
phil

They are very selective in what they consider innappropriate.
At least they let the auction finish,and you can make your donation knowing
you weren't being misleading or dishonest.The JDRF is lucky to have a
supporter like you.It sometimes takes a personal connection to such a cause
to make someone realise how important it is to get involved
in something that few people ever think about.
phil
(been there)

Old September 6th 04, 05:03 AM
Padraic Brown

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 22:20:41 -0400, "Scottishmoney"
wrote:

At least the auction was not pulled, and they will duly collect their FAV
fee. But it maybe their last.
I tried to do something good, and beneficial to a near and dear cause, and
wow I get the big slap on the arse from fleaBay.

I'd be curious as to the actual wording of their reprimand to you. If
it's no trouble, could you post the text?

By the way, glad the auction went through!

Padraic.

la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu
ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.
Old September 6th 04, 12:00 PM
Scottishmoney

wrote:

At least the auction was not pulled, and they will duly collect their FAV
fee. But it maybe their last.
I tried to do something good, and beneficial to a near and dear cause,

and
wow I get the big slap on the arse from fleaBay.

I'd be curious as to the actual wording of their reprimand to you. If
it's no trouble, could you post the text?

By the way, glad the auction went through!

Padraic.

Dear scottishmoney
We appreciate that you chose eBay to list the following item:

Bank of Scotland £5 1968 EF-AU For Charity Item number: 3927050958

However, your listing is in violation of eBay policy. We would like to
take this opportunity to
let you know what part of your listing is not permitted.

Your listing contains the following information:

In Description: " I only accept Paypal payments from balances or bank
accounts only, NO CREDIT
CARDS, I will REFUSE credit card payments"[paypal logo indicates that credit
card payments are
accepted]

We realize you may not be aware of this policy, but using such terms in this
way is considered
"Search Manipulation", which is not permitted by eBay.

And here is another email:

Dear scottishmoney
We appreciate that you chose eBay to list the following item(s):

Bank of Scotland £5 1968 EF-AU For Charity Item number: 3927050958

Although these items have already ended, your listing(s) were in violation
of eBay's policies. We
would like to take this opportunity to let you know what part of your
listing(s) are not allowed.

eBay encourages community members to be active in supporting charitable
endeavors. Because
charitable fundraising is a highly regulated area subject to numerous state
and federal laws, eBay has
partnered with MissionFish to make charitable listing easy and has created
very specific guidelines
for when charitable solicitations will be allowed on eBay.

Non-MissionFish listings

1. Sellers may only list items on behalf of a charity if the charity has
provided advance written
consent for the solicitation. To prove that you have obtained that consent,
you must include a
scanned copy of the consent in the listing.
2. Sellers may only solicit on behalf of recognized 501c3 or 501c4
charitable organizations.

MissionFish listings

1. Sellers may only list items via MissionFish on eBay that meet the
MissionFish listing
guidelines, including the guidelines designed to obtain advance consent from
the charities.
2. Sellers may only solicit on behalf of recognized 501c3 or 501c4
charitable organizations.

Your listing(s) contained the following information:

In Description: "we are raising funds for the Juvenile Diabetes Research
Foundation (JDRF). The
proceeds from this auction, less the postage expense are being donated to
the JDRF."

But... the BS goes on:

Dear scottishmoney :
We appreciate that you chose eBay to list the following item:

Bank of Scotland £5 1968 EF-AU For Charity Item number: 3927050958

However, your listing is in violation of eBay policy. We would like to
take this opportunity to
let you know what part of your listing is not permitted.

Your listing contains the following information:

http://www.jdf.org/

We realize you may not have been aware of this rule, but including these
links in the View Item
page is not permitted. Please remember that a "link" is defined as
anything that will allow
someone access to a remote or third-party web page.

So three strikes. Whoopsie freaking do. Paypal can kiss my grits. I will
not accept Paypal anymore. FleaBay can just NARU me for all I care.

BTW I would like to personally thank my bidders whom put up with this
nonsense, a fine RCC'er from Derbyshire was the successful party

Dave

---

Old September 6th 04, 01:26 PM
Bruce Remick

wrote:

[...]

This has to be frustrating for you. From what I read, you didn't seem to be
"soliciting", per se. You were advising potential bidders of what you
intended to do with the money once the auction ended. You could have said
that the proceeds from your auction were going to support a drug habit or
some "friends" in the Middle East and you probably would never have heard
from Ebay (but maybe from someone else). You may take some solace in that
your auction appeared very attractive to Ebay, enough so that they took the
time to dissect the text in order to search for technical problems within
it. We should all feel much safer now.

Bruce

Old September 6th 04, 04:16 PM
Padraic Brown

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 07:00:55 -0400, "Scottishmoney"
wrote:

However, your listing is in violation of eBay policy. We would like to
take this opportunity to
let you know what part of your listing is not permitted.

Although these items have already ended, your listing(s) were in violation
of eBay's policies. We
would like to take this opportunity to let you know what part of your
listing(s) are not allowed.

However, your listing is in violation of eBay policy. We would like to
take this opportunity to
let you know what part of your listing is not permitted.

What a load of nonsense! I haven't read anything that stupid in a good
long while!

BTW I would like to personally thank my bidders whom put up with this
nonsense, a fine RCC'er from Derbyshire was the successful party

You're welcome! - though I must admit, my bid was early and before the
proverbial eBung hit the fan! It's not even in my "summary" thingie
anymore.

Old September 6th 04, 05:03 PM
James Higby

Here is the link (oh, nooooooo!) to eBay's policy concerning links:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-links.html

Here is the link to their policy regarding charities:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/fundraising.html

I found those links with considerable difficulty. I spent 15 minutes each
on eBay and PayPal, trying to find a link to the credit card issue. I
failed. That doesn't mean it isn't there somewhere.

My conclusion is that it's not the rules themselves that are BS, but rather
the difficulty of finding them and knowing them. Most of us don't even read
printed instruction manuals, and I would venture to guess that only 1 out of
a million eBayers has ever read the entire body of rules applying to their
activities. It's simply too difficult and time-consuming to navigate the
seemingly endless lists of links and sub-links. Much preferable would be a
printed manual, but of course that will never exist. Too expensive, too
much of a cut into profits, too ephemeral.

I whole-heartedly agree that whatever infractions you may have committed are
pale in comparison with the egregious violations and nonsense that we hear
about on this newsgroup almost every day now. We all know that eBay on its
own is not going to find the mote in your eye while it misses the beam in
the eyes of the sellers of the fake bust dollars, etc. My guess is that you
have an enemy somewhere who has appointed himself your official tattler.

Keep up the good work!

"Scottishmoney" wrote in message
The ******s at fleaBay, notified me that my auction is in violation of
some
BS rule about charities, some BS rule about not accepting credit cards,
and
then some BS rule about outside links. Okay I listed the note in the
auction to benefit the JDRF, the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation and
was going to donate in my cousin's name.

But they will let bungholes list fakes for sale, and NOT pull the auction.
Have a look at this before they pull this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ADME:B:LC:US:1

Go Figure.

Ebay sucks.

Dave

Old September 6th 04, 06:18 PM
phil

It would be helpful if e-bay would set up a page of links to each of its
policies regarding different issues.If you can click on one link that would
summarize what you needed to know about setting up auctions,for a
charity,for example,it would cut down on a lot of the misunderstanding and
angst.It would also help the rest of us understand what is expected and
required to participate in them.

--

"James Higby" heezerbumfrool[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote in message
[...]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...PageName= ADM
E:B:LC:US:1

Go Figure.

Ebay sucks.

Dave

Old September 6th 04, 08:44 PM
James Higby

There is such a page. It's
http://pages.ebay.com/sitemap.html?s...me=h:h:smap:US

The site map supposedly summarizes all eBay's topics. But it'd take a good
work week (with overtime) to access it all. Who has time to do that?

Old September 6th 04, 10:47 PM
phil

I didn't know that existed-and like you say,it would take a lot of time to
navigate it all.Maybe they cna think about simplifying it?

------