This is the most absurd thing I have ever seen...

Old February 4th 11, 07:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

Default This is the most absurd thing I have ever seen...

http://www.silvercoinstoday.com/us-m...dollar/103713/

Again NY politicians are after the National Collector Mint whom we all
know sells, medals, Liberian Coins, etc...some made of pure precious
metal...others plated. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I
personally like the option to buy medals, non-circulating commem
coins, and others from any and all sources..if I like the look and
strike quality.

But to spread all over the news that these are Fake 9-11 Commems is
absurd. Anyone can commemorate anything as long as the theme is not
licensed and the ad does not lie. Just because a product is not
issued by US Mint does not make it fake. If I only bought the items
issues by the US Mint and nothing else, that would make fora super
boring collection. Plus they are only $24.95. The minting cost with
the addition of the flip-up assembly is not cheap. These are made in
Germany for NC Mint.
Old February 4th 11, 07:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

"MKW" wrote in message
[...]

Beside the fact that the "dollar" pictured in your link has to be one of the
biggest pieces of over-hyped, contrived crap in a long time, don't you have
anything else important going on in your life besides salivating over and
defending NCM-produced doodads? Most serious coin collectors would be
embarrassed to own one of these phony, mechanical "tribute" pieces, let
alone defend the company that makes and promotes them with that solemn
announcer, patriotic music, and cleverly crafted, albeit misleading claims.
The whole thing would be laughable if not for the subject matter.

Old February 4th 11, 08:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

Some such as myself like privately issued medals. Thats what this
is. At the price...the level of quality fits. I suppose the US
Mint peg leg commem dollar was better looking?? I dont think so. The
NC Mint items are professionaly minted by some top notch private mints
in the US and Europe. The profit margin on this piece is much less
than that on an I-Phone, common grocery store personal items, Wal-Mart
products etc. But no one attacks them for selling junk.
Old February 4th 11, 08:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

You seem to indicate that the only collectors who matter are those who
collect high value serious historic coins that are professionally
graded etc. Many in the general public like a token of something
interesting but could care less about a MS68 1887 Morgan Dollar.
Personally I like both fields of collecting and appreciate the
multiple options. I dont appreciate politicians legislating what can
and can't be sold just to protect the idiot that sees something round
and gold in a commercial and thinks "high value money" when any slight
research will show the exact truth.
Old February 4th 11, 08:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Beanie[_2_]

"Bremick" wrote in message

Beside the fact that the "dollar" pictured in your link has to be one of the
biggest pieces of over-hyped, contrived crap in a long time, don't you have
anything else important going on in your life besides salivating over and
defending NCM-produced doodads? Most serious coin collectors would be
embarrassed to own one of these phony, mechanical "tribute" pieces, let alone
defend the company that makes and promotes them with that solemn announcer,
patriotic music, and cleverly crafted, albeit misleading claims. The whole
thing would be laughable if not for the subject matter.

Every effort is made to make potential buyers think this piece of ****
"commemorative dollar" is a US Mint product.
There is nothing on the coin that states its authorizing authority is Liberia.
Not to mention that the quantities of actual gold and silver used is ludicrously
miniscule and of doubtful origin.
I've seen the TV ads and to say that they are misleading is a wild
understatement.
I can't imagine that anybody would want such a piece of crap in their home but
apparently NCM is finding a market for them, which brings to mind the H. L.
Mencken quote "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the
American public".
OTOH one would think that with the magnitude & multiplicity of problems facing
the USA our Congress critters would have better things to do.

Old February 4th 11, 08:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

The advertised piece is not a Liberian coin...just a medal..the press
articles seem to combine the facts. The Liberian coin is an upsell
when ordering..and the Liberian shield is on the back. I personally
like these promotional Liberian pieces...they do commemorate
historical events. And everyone focuses on the gold. Gold plating
has been done to medals for all of time. Its for decorative purposes
only. By offering a gold plated piece a company is not scamming
someone. What about silver plated serving platters and such...a
common practice. I am not saying the NC Mint piece is a superb
design...but others may do a medal that is nicely done for the topic.
Maybe Franklin Mint who still develops medals...but no longer makes
them. I am sure the US Mint piece for 9/11 that these senators are
pushing will try to force some Liberal design down our throats. Maybe
showing Bin Laden as a hero with more rights than the victims.
Old February 4th 11, 09:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Beanie[_2_]

"MKW" wrote in message
[...]

Your own link sez:
"The coins in question are advertised on the companies' website as a "Liberian
government authorized legal tender coin" clad in 14 mg of pure 24-Karat gold.
Additional design elements include a skyline of the twin towers and silhouette
of the USS New York which the site says are "clad in a total 14 mg .999 pure
silver actually recovered from the vaults beneath the ashes of Ground Zero.""
The back of the "coin" states a value of "one dollar".
If it IS a medal, why the denomination?
If this is NOT a Liberian coin (which it is), then it would be an illegal
attempt to manufacture money.
No MKW, I'm afraid that, as usual, you are appear to be a complete and utter
idiot.

Old February 4th 11, 09:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bob

On Feb 4, 2:11*pm, "Beanie" wrote:
"MKW" wrote in message

[...]

I think you two are not looking closely enough at the illustration in
the link: under the eagle, it clearly says "Republic of Liberia" in
raised letters. They are in rather low relief, so I'm not surprised
that you missed it. Thus this is a non-circulating, legal tender, one
dollar COIN of Liberia.

That said, I do not endorse it and have no plans to buy one myself.
As to whether this thing is worth $25, that is up to you.
Old February 4th 11, 09:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Beanie[_2_]

I think you two are not looking closely enough at the illustration in

the link: under the eagle, it clearly says "Republic of Liberia" in
raised letters. They are in rather low relief, so I'm not surprised
that you missed it. Thus this is a non-circulating, legal tender, one
dollar COIN of Liberia.

On second (close) inspection, I saw the mention of Liberia, so I stand
corrected.
OTOH, I STILL think the coin in question is a butt-ugly piece of crap that isn't
worth the effort it took to manufacture it.
AND, I think the TV ads are deceptive.
I also think that Congress has better things to do than closely monitor the
collector markets, even for exploitive crap like this.

Old February 4th 11, 09:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

This is the only piece being advertised...https://www.
911anniversaryproof.com/?mid=953795

It is a medal with the FBI reverse. There are three other pieces
being offered as an upsell to this offer once you bite. 1) a pure
silver version of the same medal for a higher price 2) The piece with
the Liberian reverse...becoming a NCLT Coin. 3) A piece with a first
responder reverse...whatever that is.

I am not an idiot...I know my modern exonumia better than most. I
also know exactly who makes this piece for NC Mint and can probably
generate a good guess as to the manufacturing cost of actually
striking two pieces...the coin and the flip part. Siginificantly more
product effort needed than your usual made in China stuff. These
pieces are struck either in USA supporting USA labor...or made in
Germany at one of Europes oldest and best private mints.

The two politicians blasting this piece have some agenda to support
the official US Mint 9/11 medals coming up. It seems that now that
the US Mint has decided it is a collectibles company in the way it
sells coin products, seeks copyright protection for program names,
etc...it is now willing to fight and put down anything seen as
competition.