Precious Metals

Old December 14th 10, 01:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

Default Precious Metals

Silver and gold WAY up today. Silver over $29 per oz, gold close to
$1400 per oz. Sure glad I am still sitting on a chunk of silver.

Jud - Mr. Intrinsic-
Old December 14th 10, 08:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jeff R.[_3_]

"Jud" wrote in message
Silver and gold WAY up today. Silver over $29 per oz, gold close to
$1400 per oz. Sure glad I am still sitting on a chunk of silver.

Jud - Mr. Intrinsic-

You'll get piles that way.

--
Jeff R.

Old December 14th 10, 11:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

On Dec 14, 3:21*am, "Jeff R." wrote:

You'll get piles that way.

--
Jeff R.

LOL!!!! Piles of ca$h if and when I ever sell.

Old December 15th 10, 03:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Galikanokus

Jud wrote:

On Dec 14, 3:21 am, "Jeff R." wrote:

You'll get piles that way.

--
Jeff R.

LOL!!!! Piles of ca$h if and when I ever sell.

If you don't sell, then it's a worthless hunk of metal.

JAM
Old December 15th 10, 05:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Dec 15, 9:58*am, Frank Galikanokus
wrote:
Jud wrote:

On Dec 14, 3:21 am, "Jeff R." wrote:

You'll get piles that way.

--
Jeff R.

LOL!!!! Piles of ca$h if and when I ever sell.

If you don't sell, then it's a worthless hunk of metal.

JAM

Not really true. Holding PMs as personal savings, potential future
spending power and a margin of personal comfort and safety are always
valuable considerations.

oly
Old December 15th 10, 07:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Robert Hairgrove

oly wrote:
On Dec 15, 9:58 am, Frank Galikanokus
wrote:
Jud wrote:

On Dec 14, 3:21 am, "Jeff R." wrote:
You'll get piles that way.
--
Jeff R.
LOL!!!! Piles of ca$h if and when I ever sell.

If you don't sell, then it's a worthless hunk of metal.

JAM

Not really true. Holding PMs as personal savings, potential future
spending power and a margin of personal comfort and safety are always
valuable considerations.

oly

How true!

But don't forget that the nutritional value of Au or Ag metal is close
to 0% -- think about that when you try to decide how long you want to
hold the metal, and under what circumstances you might eventually want
to sell it.

However, I can see paying for lots of stuff with gold or silver -- talk
to just about anyone who had to flee from his or her native country
during WWII or because of the communist revolution in Russia. All they
could take with them was what they could carry (and conceal) on their
bodies. Gold coins, precious stones and jewelry were items that really
came in handy. All that some of those people had to take with them were
the nicer pieces of silverware they had as family heirlooms, and maybe a
gold wedding ring or so.

Comparing the performance of most rare gold coins vs. ordinary gold
(e.g., VF/XF circulated, not rare, gold coins -- or gold bars) between
2004 and today, the circulated stuff/bars actually gained more per oz.
on the average (according to my own not too scientific calculations --
and assuming that the circulated stuff was acquired at prices close to
melt). Of course, there will always be exceptions...

I just recently cashed in some common gold stuff which I had bought back
in 2004-2005 in order to buy some rare Russian coins (on the order of
$2,000-$3,000 this year -- multiple purchases). You ALWAYS need
something in reserve in order to step in and buy something at auction
because you never know when it will become available. And usually, it is
when you don't have a lot of other spare cash (at least with me, that's
the way it usually is ).

But even if you don't collect coins, you should have at least some
physical gold in your portfolio. Although gold coins have a higher
buy/ask spread with dealers than bars do (per oz., that is), they have
the distinct advantage that you can buy them and sell them in smaller
quantities as need be.

Try to invest about $100-$200 per month in gold -- you won't regret it!
Old December 15th 10, 08:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Beanie[_2_]

"Robert Hairgrove" wrote in message
. ..
Try to invest about $100-$200 per month in gold -- you won't regret it!

I agree and would also add silver (in the form of US coins or ASEs) to the mix.
A 1/10 oz AGE and a roll of silver half dollars every month or two will pay off
in the long run.
The FRNs you currently have in your wallet will everntually be worthless, maybe
not this year or even this decade but the handwriting is on the wall for those
that wish to read it.

Old December 15th 10, 10:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Galikanokus

oly wrote:

On Dec 15, 9:58 am, Frank Galikanokus
wrote:
Jud wrote:

On Dec 14, 3:21 am, "Jeff R." wrote:

You'll get piles that way.

--
Jeff R.

LOL!!!! Piles of ca$h if and when I ever sell.

If you don't sell, then it's a worthless hunk of metal.

JAM

Not really true. Holding PMs as personal savings, potential future
spending power and a margin of personal comfort and safety are always
valuable considerations.

oly

personal savings, future spending cannot be realized unless you sell.

JAM
Old December 15th 10, 10:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Galikanokus

Beanie wrote:

"Robert Hairgrove" wrote in message
. ..
Try to invest about $100-$200 per month in gold -- you won't regret it!

I agree and would also add silver (in the form of US coins or ASEs) to the mix.
A 1/10 oz AGE and a roll of silver half dollars every month or two will pay off
in the long run.
The FRNs you currently have in your wallet will everntually be worthless, maybe
not this year or even this decade but the handwriting is on the wall for those
that wish to read it.

"will pay off"

Only when you sell.

JAM
Old December 16th 10, 12:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Dec 15, 4:52*pm, Frank Galikanokus
wrote:
oly wrote:

On Dec 15, 9:58 am, Frank Galikanokus
wrote:
Jud wrote:

On Dec 14, 3:21 am, "Jeff R." wrote:

You'll get piles that way.

--
Jeff R.

LOL!!!! Piles of ca$h if and when I ever sell.

If you don't sell, then it's a worthless hunk of metal.

JAM

Not really true. *Holding PMs as personal savings, potential future
spending power and a margin of personal comfort and safety are always
valuable considerations.

oly

personal savings, future spending cannot be realized unless you sell.

JAM- Hide quoted text -

No, it is just as likely that you'll swap or barter, not sell
outright.

Diamonds are forever. Greenies aren't forever.

Finally, up to the day you die, you're likely to want to sustain a
healthy "margin" of wealth. Smart people do that with tangibles, not
intangible financial instruments.

oly

Precious Metals Jud Coins 18 September 30th 10 02:35 AM
Precious Metals Jud Coins 15 September 11th 10 03:50 AM
Precious Metals..Again/again Jud Coins 10 June 19th 10 04:40 AM
Precious Metals Jud Coins 4 May 12th 10 07:17 PM
Precious Metals Edmond Wollmann Coins 5 March 17th 05 05:43 AM