Have I been shilled?

Old November 26th 10, 05:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
randiR

Default Have I been shilled?

I won an auction on ebay beating another bidder who, according to his
stats, has "Bid activity (%) with this seller: 90%". The bidders feedback
is only 41. Do I have grounds to register a complaint to either the seller
or ebay? Without this bidder, I would have received the item for $50 less.

Old November 26th 10, 07:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Beanie

"randiR" wrote in message
2...
I won an auction on ebay beating another bidder who, according to his
stats, has "Bid activity (%) with this seller: 90%". The bidders feedback
is only 41. Do I have grounds to register a complaint to either the seller
or ebay? Without this bidder, I would have received the item for $50 less.

Complaining to the seller would be fruitless since if it was a case of shilling,
he would be complicit and would deny everything anyway.
OTOH, since you won the item at a price you were apparently willing to pay, I
don't see what you have to complain of.

Old November 26th 10, 10:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Naissur Bara

"Beanie" wrote in message ...

"randiR" wrote in message
2...
I won an auction on ebay beating another bidder who, according to his
stats, has "Bid activity (%) with this seller: 90%". The bidders feedback
is only 41. Do I have grounds to register a complaint to either the
seller
or ebay? Without this bidder, I would have received the item for $50
less.

Complaining to the seller would be fruitless since if it was a case of
shilling, he would be complicit and would deny everything anyway.
OTOH, since you won the item at a price you were apparently willing to
pay, I don't see what you have to complain of.

All that said, that 90% doesn't necessarily mean you've been shilled. I've
seen numerous similar cases that were legit.

Old November 27th 10, 06:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Beanie

"randiR" wrote in message
2...
I won an auction on ebay beating another bidder who, according to his
stats, has "Bid activity (%) with this seller: 90%". The bidders feedback
is only 41. Do I have grounds to register a complaint to either the seller
or ebay? Without this bidder, I would have received the item for $50 less.

How did you find the bidder's ID and history anyway?
eBay now disguises bidder IDs on the bid history page.

Old November 27th 10, 07:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Nov 26, 4:38*pm, "Naissur Bara" wrote:
"Beanie" wrote in ....

"randiR" wrote in message
42...
I won an auction on ebay beating another bidder who, according to his
stats, has "Bid activity (%) with this seller: 90%". The bidders feedback
is only 41. Do I have grounds to register a complaint to either the
seller
or ebay? Without this bidder, I would have received the item for $50
less.

Complaining to the seller would be fruitless since if it was a case of
shilling, he would be complicit and would deny everything anyway.
OTOH, since you won the item at a price you were apparently willing to
pay, I don't see what you have to complain of.

All that said, that 90% doesn't necessarily mean you've been shilled. I've
seen numerous similar cases that were legit.

Bidding war, perhaps? I once found a mis-categorized PCGS MS-66 1970-
D Kennedy Half (I don't remember where I found it, but it wasn't
listed in U.S. Coins or U.S. Halves). I was looking to get it for my
son for Christmas. I put in my initial bid and waited. I ended up in
a bidding war in the last minute, eventually losing. Once it was
over, I sent an e-mail to the winner (buyer's IDs were viewable back
then), congratulating him on his win. And within an hour he'd sent a
reply, wondering if I was a shill. I assured him, if my fingers were
just a little faster, I would have won. No shill.

Jerry
Did end up buying a PCGS MS-65 from one of RCC's regulars. Son is
happy with it.
Old November 27th 10, 08:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Nov 27, 12:50*pm, Jerry Dennis wrote:
On Nov 26, 4:38*pm, "Naissur Bara" wrote:

"Beanie" wrote in ...

"randiR" wrote in message
42...
[...]

happy with it.- Hide quoted text -

I can remember when the 1970-D Kennedy USED to be an above average
thingie, but the market certainly doesn't treat it that way anymore.

Just one more thing that marks me as a dinosaur.

oly
Old November 27th 10, 10:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
randiR

"Beanie" wrote in :

"randiR" wrote in message
2...
I won an auction on ebay beating another bidder who, according to his
stats, has "Bid activity (%) with this seller: 90%". The bidders
feedback is only 41. Do I have grounds to register a complaint to
either the seller or ebay? Without this bidder, I would have received
the item for $50 less.

How did you find the bidder's ID and history anyway?
eBay now disguises bidder IDs on the bid history page.

The bidders id still masked but the history of the bidder in regards to the
seller is information provided by Ebay by clicking on the bidders name.
Old November 28th 10, 11:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Nov 27, 2:46*pm, oly wrote:
On Nov 27, 12:50*pm, Jerry Dennis wrote:

On Nov 26, 4:38*pm, "Naissur Bara" wrote:

"Beanie" wrote in ...

"randiR" wrote in message
42...
[...]

You and me both, oly.

Jerry
Turning older in January.
Old December 3rd 10, 02:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Steve

On Nov 26, 10:44*am, randiR wrote:
I won an auction on ebay beating another bidder who, according to his
stats, has "Bid activity (%) with this seller: * * 90%". The bidders feedback
is only 41. Do I have grounds to register a complaint to either the seller
or ebay? Without this bidder, I would have received the item for $50 less..

There is a simple solution - just bid what you are willing to pay.
Old December 3rd 10, 04:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Nov 28, 4:23*pm, Jerry Dennis wrote:
On Nov 27, 2:46*pm, oly wrote:

On Nov 27, 12:50*pm, Jerry Dennis wrote:

On Nov 26, 4:38*pm, "Naissur Bara" wrote:

"Beanie" wrote in ...

"randiR" wrote in message
42...
[...]

Turning older in January.- Hide quoted text -

Better to be "over the hill" than "under the hill".

oly