Beckham on the Tenner?

Old July 31st 03, 03:05 PM
Darren

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 10:06:11 -0400, "Scottishmoney"
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/imcd

Well I've just spoken to two friends and we disagree on the choice of
Beckham - maybe the survey wasn't that representative - god forbid!

Also having given this more thought I don't think Churchill would make
it on to the note, unless someone uncovers an archive picture of him
with flowing beard which is a pre-requisite of male historical
figures. Maybe a large cigar with curling smoke would do in its place?

Darren

Old July 31st 03, 03:06 PM
Scottishmoney

Default Beckham on the Tenner?

http://tinyurl.com/imcd

Dave Parrish

Old August 1st 03, 02:16 AM
Patrick Maloney

I've just polled myself, and I find that 100% of me finds the prospect vomit
inducing.

Patrick
Romans on a Budget - www.yellowbrookpublishing.com/budget/index.htm

Old August 1st 03, 08:55 AM
Ian

I like the bit about `a third of Britons' (skip the rest to the last
phrase) `with a margin of error of 3 percentage points'.

I would think the results would be startlingly different if the survey
had been conducted in Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow....or Shankhill Road,
Belfast.

Personally speaking, i'd rather see Bugs Bunny on tenners before anyone
else mentioned.

Scottishmoney wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/imcd

Dave Parrish

Old August 1st 03, 04:00 PM
Ian

Darren wrote:

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 08:55:03 +0100, Ian
wrote:

I would think the results would be startlingly different if the survey
had been conducted in Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow....or Shankhill Road,
Belfast.

Sure. But these areas have their own notes.

The vast majority of Britons do live in England. The Dickens/Darwin
reference clear indicates these are Bank of England notes - seemed
fair to ask the question in England.

What's up Doc?

If Bank of England notes were legal tender only in England, and we were
talking about `English' as opposed to `Britons' I would have little or
no hesitation in agreeing with you.

However when talking of Britons, or things `Brit' then perhaps we should
differentiate between Britain and England. They are not mutually
interchangeable. It is not that there is a problem with England having
notes, or Scotland, or Northern Ireland.

Glaswegians are `Britons' and I can assure you that if the survey was
conducted in that particular 100% British environment (indeed it
probably has less `foreigners' as a percentage of current population at
any given moment of time than London), the results (within a 3% error
margin) would be totally unrecognisable when compared with the original
survey.....now why is that I wonder? :-)

Personally speaking, i'd rather see Bugs Bunny on tenners before anyone
else mentioned.

Thought Bugs would make it on to the Dollar bill first surely?

Those Americans don't know how to go about honouring true celebrity in
an apropriate manner. They need us to show the way. In any event, it's
about time we had someone like Adam Smith on both US and UK Bank Notes.

....talk about the wealth of nations? You need to refer to a Scot!!

Old August 1st 03, 04:31 PM
Darren

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 16:00:15 +0100, Ian
wrote:

What's up Doc?

Nothings up... I just get a little frustrated at playing the bad guy
all the time - but I suppose we're the last bad guys left now...

If Bank of England notes were legal tender only in England, and we were
talking about `English' as opposed to `Britons' I would have little or
no hesitation in agreeing with you.

Ah... now I'm not sufficient an economist to really know the
difference but I believe the important point here being that the BoE
notes are not legal tender in Scotland. Of course the Scots notes
aren't either... My notion of Britons extends to inhabitants of the
British Isles as a geographic land mass. Of course I'll acknowledge it
is a much wider inclusive term and feel at ease when the concept of
British Indians etc etc is discussed.

However when talking of Britons, or things `Brit' then perhaps we should
differentiate between Britain and England. They are not mutually
interchangeable. It is not that there is a problem with England having
notes, or Scotland, or Northern Ireland.

I know this - the original article did refer to Britons but the
content was very much English. We both picked up on that

Glaswegians are `Britons' and I can assure you that if the survey was
conducted in that particular 100% British environment (indeed it
probably has less `foreigners' as a percentage of current population at
any given moment of time than London), the results (within a 3% error
margin) would be totally unrecognisable when compared with the original
survey.....now why is that I wonder? :-)

Because David Beckham didn't play for Rangers?

Personally speaking, i'd rather see Bugs Bunny on tenners before anyone
else mentioned.

Thought Bugs would make it on to the Dollar bill first surely?

Those Americans don't know how to go about honouring true celebrity in
an apropriate manner. They need us to show the way. In any event, it's
about time we had someone like Adam Smith on both US and UK Bank Notes.

...talk about the wealth of nations? You need to refer to a Scot!!

Ah... but wasn't the last Act of Union a result of England wanting to
bail out a bankrupt Scotland? (tongue firmly in cheek of course...)

Mind you I see Robert the Bruce of the Scottish notes... not sure how
well putting the Duke of Cumberland on an English fiver would go
down... But when you're English its not meant to be a problem right?
Old August 1st 03, 04:57 PM
Ian

wrote:

What's up Doc?

Nothings up... I just get a little frustrated at playing the bad guy
all the time - but I suppose we're the last bad guys left now...

I was of course making reference to my pal `Bugsy'(the `bad guy')
Bunny........... ;-)

Glaswegians are `Britons' and I can assure you that if the survey was
conducted in that particular 100% British environment (indeed it
probably has less `foreigners' as a percentage of current population at
any given moment of time than London), the results (within a 3% error
margin) would be totally unrecognisable when compared with the original
survey.....now why is that I wonder? :-)

Because David Beckham didn't play for Rangers?

or Celtic. Mind you the state of Scottish football (as expressed in
terms of `Scotland FC') we might endow Beckham as an honorary Scot so he
could perhaps score the occasional goal for us too. However, to quote
Jimmy The Heidbanger from Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow...`Him on oor
banknotes? Ye must be jokin'...He's nae chance!'

...talk about the wealth of nations? You need to refer to a Scot!!

Ah... but wasn't the last Act of Union a result of England wanting to
bail out a bankrupt Scotland? (tongue firmly in cheek of course...)

Isn't Darren a derivative of Darien...a rather ill fated South American
colony of scots, scuppered deliberately by those dastardly (bad) empire
builders from south of the great divide (which I would say is probably
Newcastle these days in political terms) :-)

Mind you I see Robert the Bruce of the Scottish notes... not sure how
well putting the Duke of Cumberland on an English fiver would go
down... But when you're English its not meant to be a problem right?

Now, that would all depend upon which Duke of Cumberland you are talking
about of course.

The one referred to on the famous `Cumberland Jacks' (aka `To Hanover'
tokens) might raise a chuckle on both sides of the border. We do
sometimes have similar sentiments to our English brothers. Methinks that
the current monarchy might take great exception to any Duke of
Cumberland appearing on any legal tender bank note no matter which part
of the realm it is issued.

Old August 1st 03, 09:40 PM
Arwel Parry

In message , Scottishmoney
writes

Ian wrote in message news:bge2k8$o4nhq$1@ID-
The one referred to on the famous `Cumberland Jacks' (aka `To Hanover'
tokens) might raise a chuckle on both sides of the border. We do
sometimes have similar sentiments to our English brothers. Methinks that
the current monarchy might take great exception to any Duke of
Cumberland appearing on any legal tender bank note no matter which part
of the realm it is issued.

The Duke of Cumberland whom put down the rising in the '45 was better known
contemporarily as "Stinking Billy"

I though William Shakespeare and Florence Nightengale were appropriate
subjects to be on BoE notes. Charles Dickens too, but Darwin????

Adam Smith has been featured on Scottish banknotes, however only as a
watermark, perhaps he was not too attractive a bloke.

Huh? He's on the current Clydesdale Bank £50 isn't he?
See http://www.scotbanks.org.uk/current_clydesdale.htm

--
Arwel Parry
http://www.cartref.demon.co.uk/
Old August 1st 03, 10:58 PM
Scottishmoney

Arwel Parry wrote in message Huh? He's on the
current Clydesdale Bank £50 isn't he?
See http://www.scotbanks.org.uk/current_clydesdale.htm

--
Arwel Parry
http://www.cartref.demon.co.uk/

Gees I could even find that on my own site, but I for a moment chose to
forget about it

Dave

Old August 2nd 03, 10:40 AM
Darren

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 13:50:40 -0400, "Scottishmoney"
wrote:

I have to say this, I get this plug in every once in a while, hopefully soon
the only British will be those confined in England, as Scotland will be self
determinate and free.

But this'll mean the Scots will need to agree first - It'll take
another couple of hundred years for that to happen. Nice idea
though... you think they'll issue some new currency?

How about:

£50 - Mel Gibson
£100 - Sean Connery
£200 - Dave Parrish