Trying to spend a 1 pound note in the UK

Old May 1st 05, 03:09 AM
Padraic Brown

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 10:22:51 +1000, "Jeff R"
wrote:

"note.boy" wrote in message

The Bank Of England always demonitizes old design notes a short while
after the introduction of a new design, they can't be spent but bank's
will exchange them for newer notes.

Scottish notes don't get demoitized ....

LOL!
Of course not!

Can you imagine the scene at the shopping centre when the average Scotsman
is told that his carefully hoarded "Poond note" is no longer worth anything?

There wouldn't be enough paramedics and ICUs to cope...

Anyway, how can you demonetise something that isn't even legal tender?

Padraic.

la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu
ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.
Old May 1st 05, 03:09 AM
Padraic Brown

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 20:18:48 -0500, "A.E. Gelat"
wrote:

There have been several postings about the English or Scottish pound notes
being worth nothing. Any bank will exchange them for a pound's worth of
coins. A smart business could also accept them, just to make a sale, and
then take them to a bank.

Or resell on Ebay...

Padraic.

Tony

Old May 1st 05, 12:32 PM
Tony Clayton

--
Jeff R.
(never mind the moth bites on the notes...)

I spent an old and tatty Scottish pound note at our local
supermarket in Southern England and it was accepted
instantly and without demur.

All English banks accept Scottish notes.

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
Old May 1st 05, 08:19 PM
note.boy

"note.boy" wrote in message

The Bank Of England always demonitizes old design notes a short while
after the introduction of a new design, they can't be spent but bank's
will exchange them for newer notes.

Scottish notes don't get demoitized ....

LOL!
Of course not!

Can you imagine the scene at the shopping centre when the average Scotsman
is told that his carefully hoarded "Poond note" is no longer worth anything?

There wouldn't be enough paramedics and ICUs to cope...

--
Jeff R.
(never mind the moth bites on the notes...)

I spent an old and tatty Scottish pound note at our local
supermarket in Southern England and it was accepted
instantly and without demur.

A supermarket in Stamford Bridge, the town not the football ground,
would not accept Scottish notes from me last year.

They did however accept a Royal Bank Of Scotland debit card. Billy

Old May 2nd 05, 11:40 PM
Darren

"note.boy" wrote in message

[...]

I trust you were visiting the Whiskey shop they have there, prior to being
the Viking on the bridge?
Old May 2nd 05, 11:43 PM
Darren

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 21:37:44 GMT, note.boy wrote:

The Bank Of England always demonitizes old design notes a short while
after the introduction of a new design, they can't be spent but bank's
will exchange them for newer notes.

Scottish notes don't get demoitized but after a while it may prove
difficult to spend a note of an old design, they can of course be
exchanged at a bank for newer notes. Billy

Does this lead to the Banks of Scotland updating their BoE notes, or do
they have a stash of old notes ready for when the price is right?
Old May 3rd 05, 11:16 AM
note.boy

I don't like whisky, or porridge or football, strange for a Scottish
person.

The chippy was excellent however. Billy

Old May 3rd 05, 11:20 AM
note.boy

They probably wait until they have collector value and sell them to the
Bank of England at a premium. :-)

The Royal Bank Of Scotland sold some older notes that they had taken
over the counter at their head office at face value.

They achieved £40,000 for charity at a Spink auction in April of last
year. Billy

Old May 3rd 05, 07:40 PM
Darren

On Tue, 03 May 2005 10:16:38 GMT, note.boy wrote:

I don't like whisky, or porridge or football, strange for a Scottish
person.

The chippy was excellent however. Billy

How do you like your Mars Bars?

Sterotype? Me?
Old May 3rd 05, 10:28 PM
note.boy

I prefer potatoes and turnip with my haggis. Billy

e wrote:

In article , "note.boy" wrote:

I don't like whisky, or porridge or football, strange for a Scottish
person.

The chippy was excellent however. Billy

what about haggis and sean connery?