The appropriately named Fukushima!

Old March 16th 11, 08:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

Default The appropriately named Fukushima!

On Mar 15, 6:58*am, Peter wrote:
On Mar 14, 12:04*pm, oly wrote:

Your linked article is essentially the worst case (not much release of
radioactive stuff), IF the containment vessels hold.

IF NOT, then you get more towards the Chernobyl end of the spectrum.

Please note that the author continues to update the article as facts
are learned. *Limited information available is a problem for him, as
well. *I don't yet see how a comparison to Chernobyl can be a useful
part of the discussion.

There also seems to be a question of "spent fuel" which is kept in
pools of water in these buildings after removal from the reactors.
Did that stuff get ejected in the explosions???

As I understand it, they did not.

All in all, the earthquake was a lot more powerful than anything
envisioned, and both the Japanese and Americans who designed these
things might be guilty of more than a little hubris.

One point he makes it that the electrical power to the cooling pumps
was lost, despite a triply redundant back-up power system. *To my mind
that indicates inadequate testing or poor operational procedures. *I
have actually see a case of such a system (developed for an inflatable
radome) being found to contain a single point failure mode. *Besides
being a design error, such a thing must indicate a lack of an
adversarial approach to testing. *For such a thing as a nuclear power
plant, testing a power supply to destruction could reasonably have
been required.

Even so, his remark about how train service compares with nuclear
power plant safety is amusing if not precisely the best point.

In Russia, they could abandon a large amount of land around
Chernobyl. *This is a luxury that the Japanese may not have.

Chernobyl was, by contrast, probably worse than was reported.

I can appreciate where Mr. Bean is coming from ...

One of us must have a peculiar taste for writing.

oly- Hide quoted text -

I don't think the NHK World Television (Japanese Public Television
English Service, it seems) is broadcasting "live" anymore. They seem
to have put on a tape "loop" of the same hour or two of programming,
over and over.

Maybe they have run away!!!

oly

P.S. The British Foreign Office has told British Nationals to "Get
the hell out of Dodge" too.
Old March 16th 11, 08:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Beanie[_2_]

"oly" wrote in message
P.S. The British Foreign Office has told British Nationals to "Get the hell
out of Dodge" too.

US Naval forces are leaving the area as fast as possible to avoid contamination.
Troops as far away as Tokyo have been "advised" to stay indoors.
Despite the Japanese gubmint's assurances that this won't be another Chernobyl
(and maybe because of their denials), I'm pretty sure this will go down as the
worst nuclear plant disaster yet.
So much for those who claim nuclear power to be "pollution free". (Not to
mention the half-life of the spent fuel rods is about a gajillion years!)

Old March 19th 11, 05:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Mar 16, 2:51*pm, "Beanie" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

P.S. *The British Foreign Office has told British Nationals to "Get the hell
out of Dodge" too.

US Naval forces are leaving the area as fast as possible to avoid contamination.
Troops as far away as Tokyo have been "advised" to stay indoors.
Despite the Japanese gubmint's assurances that this won't be another Chernobyl
(and maybe because of their denials), I'm pretty sure this will go down as the
worst nuclear plant disaster yet.
So much for those who claim nuclear power to be "pollution free". (Not to
mention the half-life of the spent fuel rods is about a gajillion years!)

I don't know about how to compare this to Chernobyl - but obviously
Japan doesn't have the vast landmass of the old Soviet Union.

Also, northern Japan is a lot closer to the USA than happy old central
Eurasia.

It's going to take three or four weeks to have some realistic idea of
where Fukushoma goes, melt-down and depleted fuel wise.

It could be a total cluster-****. Or Not.

oly
Old March 22nd 11, 02:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter[_6_]

On Mar 19, 12:14*am, oly wrote:

It could be a total cluster-****. *Or Not.

oly

So far, I'd still bet that the only casualty will be the owner of the
plant, when he realizes how much money he loses.
Old March 22nd 11, 03:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Mar 21, 8:46*pm, Peter wrote:
On Mar 19, 12:14*am, oly wrote:

It could be a total cluster-****. *Or Not.

oly

So far, I'd still bet that the only casualty will be the owner of the
plant, when he realizes how much money he loses.

No, there will be dead Japanese out of this thing (I've heard that two
of the plant workers are already dead and fifteen in critical
condition - but yes, the people I read are radicals on both sides of
the spectrum who don't buy into the MSM); and likely a large long-term
exclusion zone in a country with not much arable land to spare.

We aren't going to know the truth for sometime (weeks) to come; and
you can sure as **** be certain that the U.S. main stream media won't
be reporting the truth. Maybe the BBC will be a little better.

One also needs to consider the psychological effects of the roller-
coaster nuclear news on the Japanese and world economies.

Not out of the woods here, not by any means.

oly

P.S. The news is showing photos of the Japanese firetruck drivers
carefully putting on their seat belts before driving around the
Fukushima Nuclear Facility. In-freakin'-credible.