Precious Metals

Old December 17th 10, 01:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

Default Precious Metals

"Jud" wrote:

Speaking of which, and going totally OT, it's been quite some
time since anyone has posted local prices for gasoline.

I just paid $3.24 a gallon at a Shell station, but my car
requires premium.

--
Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
Its name is Public opinion. It is held in reverence. It settles

Old December 17th 10, 01:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jeff R.[_3_]

"Michael Benveniste" wrote in message
"Jud" wrote:

Speaking of which, and going totally OT, it's been quite some
time since anyone has posted local prices for gasoline.

I just paid $3.24 a gallon at a Shell station, but my car
requires premium.

AUD$5.00 / US gallon with a 10-20% variation throughout the week.
That was unleaded + 10% ethanol

Premium is more like $5.50.

(AUD$ is effectively parity with US$ right now)

--
Jeff R.
(Sydney)

Old December 17th 10, 03:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Galikanokus

oly wrote:

On Dec 16, 8:34 pm, j-rod wrote:
oly wrote:

On Dec 16, 8:15 pm, oly wrote:
On Dec 16, 7:24 pm, "Bremick" wrote:

"oly" wrote in message

On Dec 16, 3:39 pm, oly wrote:

On Dec 16, 3:32 pm, "Bremick" wrote:

"Jud" wrote in message

On Dec 16, 8:37 am, "Beanie" wrote:

The price of gasoline by me has gone up 15% in the last few months.

Speaking of which, and going totally OT, it's been quite some time
since anyone has posted local prices for gasoline. Here it is selling
for over $3 per gallon, most places at $3.07-$3.10, but have seen
$3.15 at many gas stations. On a side note, I just got back from
vacation in Jamaica where gas is selling for J$90+ per liter, and the
Jamaican dollar is @ J$81:$1US. Without getting my calculator out,
that comes to about $4.00 per gallon.

______________

About $3.05 regular in No. Virginia. It helps having a card that rebates
5%
(15 /gal) plus some local grocery stores offering a 10 per gallon
discount
at local Shell stations for every $100 of groceries you buy. At present
have enough credits for a 50 per gallon discount, considering I would
have
been buying the same groceries anyway. Just small $$ amounts in the
overall
picture, but it helps ease the pain.

Springpatch Illinois @ $2.83 and nine-tenths this AM (12/16/10), but
everybody usually raises price in unison on Thurdays about noon.
Could be 15 cents higher when I get back into town tonight. I am
working out near Quincy, IL and the little burgs and hamlets out here
are all steady @ $2.98 for the last ten days.

And yes, this is the Springpatch where our Mayor killed himself
Tuesday morning.

oly- Hide quoted text -

Yep, the gasoline swindlers all got together today and went up to
$3.09 and nine-tenths here in Springpatch.

Favorably, I have more than enough gasoline on board to get back to
the towns where they're still @ $2.989.

______________

Ouch! I'm driving to Denver in a couple days and usually stop for the night
somewhere around Mt. Vernon on US64 in Illinois before hitting St. Louis the
next morning. At least my credit card gives a 5% discount on gasoline no
matter the brand.- Hide quoted text -

Your route is well south (one hour +) of Springpatch. Springpatch has
a really well-known group of price gougers and colluders. The "fix"
occurs like clockwork and nobody in authority ever does much about
it. In nearby towns like Lincoln, Illinois, genuine gasoline price
"wars" occur regulary. But not here.

But, I would look at carefully at gasoline prices in Ohio and Indiana
and then the best deal would be to fill up completely once you are
past St. Looie, as gasoline taxes are still about 15 cents less per
gallon in MO than IL. The difference is less than it used to be, but
still favors MO.

I say bypass the gas stations in IL and confound Governor Quinn. Fill
those tanks round St. Charles, MO.

Good luck on the weather during your trip. It's a nice early
summertime drive, more of a dicey adventure this time of the year.

oly- Hide quoted text -

In Lincoln, Illinois, not only do gasoline price wars occur
"regularly", but also in mid-grade and premium too!!!

oly

Nice job of avoiding answering my question.

Ten year ago gold was less than $300 and ounce.

What will keep it from dropping to that level again?

http://www.kitco.com/LFgif/au75-pres.gif

JAM- Hide quoted text -

Your question isn't worthy of much consideration, which is why we've
went on to another topic.

Gold never went back to $35 in the 1960s and it won't go back to $1000
now, let alone $300. However, it is the policies and goals of the
present board of governors of the Federal Reserve Bank that will
continue to devalue the dollar and elevate gold. Neither the
President nor the Congress want the process of debt creation and
monetization to stop either (with the exception of the Honorable Ron
Paul).

Eventually, the self-defense reactions of the remainder of the world
will send the dollar into a Zimbabwe-like depreciation.

There is nothing any individual American can really do about this,
except recognize the process early and hedge one's self.

oly

"However, it is the policies and goals of the
present board of governors of the Federal Reserve Bank that will
continue to devalue the dollar and elevate gold."

So, it's not the intrinsic value of gold that sets the price of gold.

Just like any other commodity, it's value is based on perception and faith.

JAM
Old December 17th 10, 03:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Galikanokus

Nick Knight wrote:

In , on 12/16/2010
at 09:34 PM, j-rod said:

Nice job of avoiding answering my question.
Ten year ago gold was less than $300 and ounce.
What will keep it from dropping to that level again?

http://www.kitco.com/LFgif/au75-pres.gif

Thanks for the graph! I was remembering that it skyrocketted to what I
THOUGHT I remembered as $800, then fell back in the 300 level, as you point
out. Obviously frenzies don't last forever, at least not so far in history.

There's always talk of hedging against disaster, paper money is worthless,
yada-yada. So, let's say the entire world's economy collapses. People are
starving to death and violence is everywhere. Am I going to offer my
stockpile of canned goods to someone offering me a gold coin? Can I eat it?

I just sold all of my silver (well, I found 2-3-4 more ounces, dammit) and I
was worried it had already peaked. I guess I was all wrong, but I was happy
to get out at $25-27. If it goes to $50 and never goes down, oh well, I've
made my money (after 15 years) and I'll be happy. While I owned it, though,
I just got the feeling the bottom was about to fall out. It would be
interesting to see it settle back down to $12-15, eh?

... but not until after the holidays and I can unload these last couple of
pieces!

Nick

The old adage is to buy low and sell high. Unfortunately for most they buy high and sell
low.

Near exponential growth cannot be sustained.

JAM
Old December 17th 10, 03:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Beanie[_2_]

"Frank Galikanokus" wrote in message
"However, it is the policies and goals of the
present board of governors of the Federal Reserve Bank that will
continue to devalue the dollar and elevate gold."

So, it's not the intrinsic value of gold that sets the price of gold.

Just like any other commodity, it's value is based on perception and faith.

JAM

You seem to enjoy stating the obvious as if it was a profound insight on your
part.
Just sayin...

Old December 17th 10, 04:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Dec 17, 9:55*am, "Beanie" wrote:
"Frank Galikanokus" wrote in message

"However, it is the policies and goals of the
present board of governors of the Federal Reserve Bank that will
continue to devalue the dollar and elevate gold."

So, it's not the intrinsic value of gold that sets the price of gold.

Just like any other commodity, it's value is based on perception and faith.

JAM

You seem to enjoy stating the obvious as if it was a profound insight on your
part.
Just sayin...

No, Gold's value is based upon its usefulness, scarcity and demand.
People have to use lots of brains and sweat to get gold.

People have been demanding gold since before the first Pharaoh ever
sat on any damn throne.

Why do you think that the paper dollar will maintain its present
value? Most dollars are created by making electronic blips in
computers in dicey institutions known as banks. Dollars are a lazy
man's swindle compared to Gold. If ever perception and faith were
everything!!!

oly
Old December 18th 10, 12:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Nick Knight

In , on 12/17/2010
at 10:39 AM, Frank Galikanokus said:

The old adage is to buy low and sell high. Unfortunately for most they buy
high and sell low.

Near exponential growth cannot be sustained.

There was a major correction "last time", and I'm expecting another one.
When? Who knows. I do believe that enough of "us common folk" have bitten
into the frenzy that it's about time for the Big Money Twiddlers to cash
out. The little guy always loses, at least most of them, on average. When
speculating.

$1/gal gas. Not probable, I might consider trading some of my cans of
chilli for some gas, tho ... I can't eat it, but it has a post-disaster
function. I can't eat gold, nor will my car run on it.

Since we've had several declarations that silver/gold won't retreat, I'm
going to go out on a limb and make a prediction/guess. That's all it is.
Two years from now, Christmas 2012, silver will be at about $20 (I wanted to
go lower, but I'm trying to hedge, if not by actually owning any). Gold
will fall back to $1000 before settling a tad higher ... we'll say $1250.
Even that sounds too high to me ... hedging you know.

Some sanity seems to have returned to the news recently, although the rest
of the world is still iffy. If things settle down more, we'll see all of
the panic-ers start to sell, but not until after the BMT's do (see above).
THEN, maybe, we'll get some more of the stock market back.

Just guessing. I'm not as old as some of the more vocal "owls" here, and I
don't have my finger on the pulse of the junk-box market as others do. I
can still guess. I'm now on record. Anyone else? Talk to you again in 2
years!

Nick
Old December 18th 10, 01:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Dec 17, 6:35*pm, "Nick Knight" wrote:
[...]

People who want to see their money go nowhere should overpay for
modern clad proof sets and they should most certainly bail out of the
PMs.

We should only be so lucky as to the promised lack of future
communications.

oly
Old December 18th 10, 01:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

[...]

"Owls"... "Fair Warning"... the palpable disdain for junk boxes...

All sounds very familiar to a former frequent poster and probable
lurker here at RCC.

oly

Old December 18th 10, 02:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
j-rod

Beanie wrote:

"Frank Galikanokus" wrote in message
"However, it is the policies and goals of the
present board of governors of the Federal Reserve Bank that will
continue to devalue the dollar and elevate gold."

So, it's not the intrinsic value of gold that sets the price of gold.

Just like any other commodity, it's value is based on perception and faith.

JAM

You seem to enjoy stating the obvious as if it was a profound insight on your
part.
Just sayin...

That's because some here think gold and silver have some kind of magic
quality.

JAM

Precious Metals Jud Coins 18 September 30th 10 02:35 AM
Precious Metals Jud Coins 15 September 11th 10 03:50 AM
Precious Metals..Again/again Jud Coins 10 June 19th 10 04:40 AM
Precious Metals Jud Coins 4 May 12th 10 07:17 PM
Precious Metals Edmond Wollmann Coins 5 March 17th 05 05:43 AM