rare-coin broker conned an elderly East Sider

Old November 18th 10, 06:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jeff R.[_3_]

Default rare-coin broker conned an elderly East Sider

"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in message
On 11/17/2010 1:08 AM, Jeff R. wrote:
Reid, find*one* - just ONE - individual with genuine experience and/or
qualifications in metal working and/or metallurgy who agrees with your
hypothesis.

You ridiculed me for using the term "plastic deformation" to describe the
process though which the surface metal of a coin is softened

....and I still do.

...and moved through whizzing, saying the physics of this is impossible.
But this is the same term used to describe whizzing by Tony Clayton, a
former physics teacher who maintains a Web site on coin metals.

Now just a minute, Reid.
How come you can cite Tony's status as "former physics teacher" as a
sufficient guarantee of accuracy, yet you automatically dismiss my status
as current engineering teacher as irrelevant?

..As he said: "What does occur is plastic deformation of the surface
layers. This will result in surface metal being moved, in just the same way
as drawing a knife across the surface will result in a scratch with the
moved material forming a narrow raised area on each side."

Sigh.
You don't bother reading do you?
Look again at the diagrams at the base of the "conclusions" page I wrote
seven years ago, where this effect is demonstrated and explained.

*HINT*: its a *micro* effect, yet you are claiming *macro* consequences.

Allen Stockton, a coin doctor, someone who unlike you actually worked on
coins BEFORE you made your grand conclusions about what happens when
they're worked on, also says metal is moved.

So he is also wrong. So what?

So has PCGS

Written by Rick Montgomery? LOL!

...in its book Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection, Brian Silliman of
NCS (Numismatistic Conservation Services) in his Numismatist column and the
ANA in its book A.N.A. Grading Standards for United States Coins. Yes.

You forgot to mention Rick Montgomery. Again.
Why is that?

Look Reid - coin graders and salesmen are not metallurgists. I don't know
squat about grading US coins on the 70 point scale, and they plainly know
just about the same about the mechanics of shaping metals (if they agree
with you, that is).

You're correct. This is all just my "hypothesis." Or was it what you said
before, that all these people are just copying one another, and unlike you
none of them has a metal shop? Ad infinitioticdum. Like talking to a brick
wall and with the same intelligence. Bye.

What?
You're giving up again?
Lacking endurance as the years creep by, eh Reid?

Its such a shame that you cannot advance one single credible argument to
suggest that whizzing is anything other than an abrasive process.

I no longer expect an apology for your rudeness, (you're too rude for that),
but I gladly accept your admission of defeat.

Au revoir indeed.

--
Jeff R.

Old November 18th 10, 11:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jo FLECK

If you are starting a new coin forum, using this type of vulgar language
will make many people hesitant to join your forum, thinking that such
language is permitted there as well.

"Coin Forum" wrote in message

You boys ought to step back and ask yourselves "Does anybody (besides
yourselves) give a **** about this subject?"
OK OK I'll give you the answer: NO.

Old November 18th 10, 03:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

On Nov 17, 7:43*pm, "Coin Forum" wrote:

Profanity restored by me.

And I feel people as prissy as you should not access the Usenet.

Prissy? I think not! I too often drop the "F" bomb myself in daily
usage. However, I am not trying to get people to join with me in any
business enterprise. Go ahead and use as much profanity as you like,
it doesn't bother me a bit. Its just a poor business practice. Best of
luck to you. BTW, how is your forum doing? Think you have gained or
lost interest there by your comments?

Jud -the profane-
Old November 18th 10, 07:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Phil DeMayo

On Nov 18, 12:19*am, "Jeff R." wrote:
"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in message

...in its book Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection, Brian Silliman of
NCS (Numismatistic Conservation Services) in his Numismatist column and the
ANA in its book A.N.A. Grading Standards for United States Coins. Yes.

You forgot to mention Rick Montgomery. Again.
Why is that?

I love when the Goldsborough character cites an "expert" only when
that "expert" agrees with him.

Brian Silliman co-authors a column in the ANA's monthly magazine "The
Numismatist". One of the columns mentioned that counterfeit coins
were illegal to possess. I bet you can't guess who wrote a "Letter to
the Editor" saying Silliman and his co-author were wrong.
Old November 18th 10, 11:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Derry B

"Coin Forum" wrote in message
... You boys ought to step back and
ask yourselves "Does anybody (besides
yourselves) give a **** about this subject?"
OK OK I'll give you the answer: NO.

You should not be using this kind of language on this forum. It is listed
as a resource in the BSA merit badge program for Coin Collecting 1998
revision

Old November 19th 10, 02:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough[_2_]

On 11/17/2010 8:05 PM, Nick Knight wrote:
Ironic, isn't it? Should we now take a poll and see if anyone gives a FF or
RA about how YOU "feel"?? Yes, it's the same age-old answer. Funny that.

What's worse? Big bold anonymous flamers who think it's really cool to
spit out curse words in trying to disrupt the conversations of others or
Those Who Are Never Wrong? The latter are more interesting, I think.
Jeff R. is the latest in a long line here who refuse to budge at all,
just tying themselves in knots, their self-esteem apparently tied to
them never being wrong. You see this a lot with retired people and other
older folks, in nursing homes and elsewhere, more so than with younger
people, though this is not to say that all older people are like this or
even that most are, just that it trends this way. With those that are,
it's as if the value of their entire life's experience depends on their
not being wrong.

--

Consumer: http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Old November 19th 10, 02:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough[_2_]

On 11/18/2010 1:46 PM, Phil DeMayo wrote:
Brian Silliman co-authors a column in the ANA's monthly magazine "The
Numismatist". One of the columns mentioned that counterfeit coins
were illegal to possess. I bet you can't guess who wrote a "Letter to
the Editor" saying Silliman and his co-author were wrong.

That's very relevant. Yes, because I agree with someone about something,
that means I should agree with him about everything. If not, I'm being
hypocritical. Or something.

Brian Silliman is an expert coin authenticator and grader. He has no
doubt looked at many thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands of coins,
and as part of this he looks for signs of doctoring. He has no doubt
gained considerable knowledge of coin doctoring. That's one reason I
cited his opinion about this subject. But does this also make him an
expert on the legalities of owning counterfeit coins? I don't think so.
This in not in his realm of experience. He and other authentication
service employers in fact send back to their owners coins that are
blatantly counterfeit or whose authenticity they can't vouch for.

On the other hand, another coin publication columnist, Armen Vartian,
who's a lawyer and has written a book on collectibles and the law, has
said in one of his columns that there's nothing illegal about owning
counterfeits without the intent to deceive others with them. His
credentials and experience on this subject make his opinion far more
weighty.

But like the issue of whizzing moving metal, the issue of the legality
of owning counterfeits has been discussed here in the past in great
detail, and like Jeff R. you bring this up without adding a shred of new
information. Same tired old arguments, long refuted. Like him, you've
dug in and haven't budged one iota from your original views, and like
him it's clear you never will, no matter what. Also like him you bring
this up in discussions about completely unrelated subjects, some kind of
fixation or compulsion.

Old November 19th 10, 03:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Nick Knight

In , on 11/18/2010
at 08:23 PM, Reid Goldsborough said:

The latter are more interesting, I think.
Jeff R. is the latest in a long line here who refuse to budge at all,

Interesting. You see, Jeff R has been completely irrelevant to me for quite
some time. For all I knew, he no longer existed. I killfiled him eons ago,
and I hadn't seen an original post from him OR anybody quoting him since ...
until 2 days ago.

Thanks Reid. :|

Hopefully it will be another long time before I see more. I really don't
have the time, more the desire, to waste on him. You know, Reid, it IS
totally your option to read his posts and even more to reply to him. I'd
tell you it works much better to ignore him, but I know you won't listen

Nick
Old November 19th 10, 03:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Nick Knight

In , on 11/18/2010
at 08:42 PM, Reid Goldsborough said:

legality of owning counterfeits has been discussed here in the
past in great detail,

Ughg. And now Phil. Man, this is ending up as a bad week .

Reid! You're killing me.

Nick - Owner of many bust-era contemporary counterfeits
Old November 19th 10, 04:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough[_2_]

On 11/18/2010 9:27 PM, Nick Knight wrote:

I'd tell you it works much better to ignore him, but I know you won't listen

Hey! What are you trying to do here, initiate a flame war? g Then you
go and chastise me for responding to Phil. Man, you're tough.

Seriously, I hear you. We all have our ways of dealing with nonsense.
I'm in no way suggesting that my way is any better than any other. I
tend more toward responding, my free speech leanings and all, but I
won't respond to every provocation. I can definitely see the wisdom of
blocking people that have a probability that's higher than you're
comfortable with of putting out what you regard as nonsense.