Greece urges ECB to issue low denomination Euro notes

Old July 5th 05, 02:55 AM
gogu

Ο "Dik T. Winter" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
In article "gogu"
writes:
Ο "Dik T. Winter" έγραψε στο μήνυμα

I don't use a purse so my pockets feel quite uncomfortable with all
those
change.
Some times I have 12 or even 15 euros in coins in my pockets !

Spend them.

:-)))
Sure I'll do but it's much of a nuisance until spending, at least for me.

Not the same thing.
Pound it was, pound remained.

Only for paper money. *All* coins were subsequently changed.

Yes, I was talking about paper money.
Euro is a totally new currency for every European so there is more need to
adapt to the new look (and the exchange rate with the old currencies).

They've just turned to the decimal.
The euro is a totally new currency for every European in the euroland.

Well, so was the decimal pound in the UK.

What I am trying to say is that even if they turned to the decimal, they
were still using the currency named "pound" with its familiar look on paper
and some smaller coin denominations.
The euro on the contrary is a totally new currency, not resembling our old
currency and you had to carry a small calculator in the first months with
you ;-)

Then please show me such an *official* demand from the respective
*governments* !

Show me a demand from some other country than Greece, Italy (and for some
time Austria).

I've explained that it was not a demand but the personal opinion of a
minister.
The government of Greece *never* backed his idea.
And of course it was never an official demand from any other euroland
country !
And here is my objection to the title "Greece (or Italy or any other
country) urges ECB to issue low denomination Euro notes".
From the moment it was not an official demand but just the opinion of a
single minister, I find the title of the newspaper misleading.

Well, I do think that at least the Dutch or German people would not
appreciate it. At least, I have never read anyone supporting it.

I am sorry I don't remember what newspaper was.

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi

Coins, travels and mo http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/golanule/my_photos
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html
http://www.romclub.4t.com/rabin.html

Old July 5th 05, 12:17 PM
Christian Feldhaus

gogu wrote:

Well, Karamanlis is a person of few words, so everybody understands that
his silence is translated to a sound "Mr. Sioufas go and put your head under
running water" ;-)
The comment was so stupid that the PM or the MF didn't even bother to
answer...

Ah, that may well explain it. Maybe it was just due to the "timing" that
this minister got a little more attention that he deserved :-) A few
weeks ago, when there was a lot of talk about the Big EU Crisis, such
proposals were probably more widely heard that before ...

That is what I would have said too. But the Dutch 5 euro coins or the
German 10 euro pieces, for example, are collector coins which can be had
at face value.

Oh come on Christian, that's over-stretched ;-)
Of course they are "legal tender" but how many people have you seen using
them ?!

Not many, and for most cashiers such a piece is an oddity or a nuisance
or both g. But the point I was trying to make is, _if_ there was
considerable demand, this could be a way out.

For example, if the Dutch suddenly had a terrible urge to use 5 euro
coins in everyday life, they could simply decide to do so. Now if the
ECB allowed the euro countries to issue country specific low value
notes, that would meet local demand without "affecting" those countries
where such notes are not really wanted.

Of course, if there is no (or hardly) such demand, it would be pointless
to even look into such options :-)

Christian
Old July 6th 05, 12:32 AM
gogu

? "Christian Feldhaus" ?????? ??? ??????
gogu wrote:

Well, Karamanlis is a person of few words, so everybody understands that
his silence is translated to a sound "Mr. Sioufas go and put your head
under
running water" ;-)
The comment was so stupid that the PM or the MF didn't even bother to
answer...

Ah, that may well explain it. Maybe it was just due to the "timing" that
this minister got a little more attention that he deserved :-)

E X A C T L Y !
Mr. Sioufas made a populist claim expecting to "cash" it in the next
elections...
I wouldn't give it more that 2 minutes of attention, the exact time it took
it to say at the TV ;-)
Such declarations are often, and I generally do not pay attention if they
are not an official government proposal.
Politicians ;-)

A few
weeks ago, when there was a lot of talk about the Big EU Crisis, such
proposals were probably more widely heard that before ...

Exactly !
His 15 minutes of attention ;-)

Old July 6th 05, 02:47 AM
Padraic Brown

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 02:17:41 +0300, "gogu"
wrote:

? "Padraic Brown" ?????? ??? ??????
.. .
On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 18:12:07 +0300, "gogu"
wrote:

My experience from a couple of threads here and from articles is
different;
Americans dislike the dollar coin but they use it because they can't
refuse
it.

A "couple of threads" indeed have featured disgruntled Americans who
drag out the same old arguments (coins are "too heavy", "mistaken for
a quarter", etc).

Same here.
Thank you for proving my point that no only Europeans but also many
Americans are not accustomed with the dollar coin. :-)

Note that I didn't say anything about not being "accustomed to" the
dollar coin. The arguments are always red herrings that rarely address
the matter of familiarity.

The vast majority of posts and threads regarding the
use of dollar coins in the US have been positive or at least neutral.

I remember reading on-line that the majority of the Americans are negative
to the dollar coins and that's why the US Mint did a huge campaign to make
people "trust" the dollar coin and start using it.
Am I wrong ?

Obviously. I don't know what your source was, so really can't comment.
Honestly, I think the Mint went for the ad campaigns so that they
could sell more products, and thus rake in more money. Has nothing to
do with getting Americans to use a dollar coin. If they want us to use
dollar coins, they'll do what they were afraid to do in 1979.

The point is not that the euro note will help me the way you say, it will
just make people "feel" better the value of the money !

??? OK, whatever!

I am just reporting to you what people opposing the euro are saying.
And the truth is that we have somehow lost the notion of the value with the
euro: most of us are ashamed to leave a euro coin for a tip in a restaurant
but if we realize this is 340,75 drachmas -more than we let before euro-
then you can understand my above quote. A paper euro would make the 1 euro
"feel" more valuable.

Rather than carp about coin or paper euros, think about how many euros
you earn in a day. Compare that with how many drachmas you earned in a
day.

In the end, I think you'd just end up confused by the paper euro/coin
euro and the value of each.

But here we are not talking about me and you, we are talking about entire
countries, with many older persons...

They'll get used to it, too.

Sure they'll get used, maybe after they die ;-)

I think you underestimate them.

Padraic.

la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu
ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.