Creases in new grill cloth

Old January 4th 05, 01:45 AM

Default Creases in new grill cloth

I ordered a new grill cloth for my Seeburg from Victory Glass. I thought the
cloth would come rolled up, but it came folded up in a square. It now has a
bunch oF square creases in it. Laying it out flat for a few days did no
good. Im thinking the only way to get the creases out would be to get my
wife to iron it. Is it safe to do that or will I damage the cloth? I dont
see any other options unless someone out there knows a better way. Also, as
far as attatching it to the speaker board is it ok to use 3M spray adhesive
and staple the edges or is there a better way to put this on where it will
stay nice and tight. The old one I pulled off seemed to have some kind of
adhesive on it and was stapled on the edges, but I just want to put the new
one on the best way possible ! ............Mickey

Old January 4th 05, 02:22 AM
Joseph A. Tony Dziedzic

Are you talking about the gold lame dress fabric they sell as grille cloth?
You can iron it on a low heat setting between two pieces of plain white cloth
(like an old T-shirt). If you don't put something between the iron and the
"grille cloth" the iron may melt the cloth.

I routinely used 3M "76" spray adhesive to attach grille cloth. Clean the
speaker mounting board thoroughly then spray a couple of coats of "76" at
right angles to each other. Stretch the cloth while you're applying it - you
might want to get an extra pair of hands to help - and use your hands to
smooth the cloth while the adhesive sets. If you're ambitious you can use
staples on the sides to help hold the grille cloth in position.

Joseph "Tony" Dziedzic

Old January 4th 05, 02:29 AM

I went to Home Depot, Lowes and Ace Hardware and could only find 3M "77", so
I bought it. I hope thats as good or better to use than the

Old January 4th 05, 03:13 PM
GVSvc

I thought the same when I did my Wulitzer 700 but when I was glueing and
stretching the creases dissapeared
I used 3M spray glue
Rob

wrote:
I ordered a new grill cloth for my Seeburg from Victory Glass. I thought

the
cloth would come rolled up, but it came folded up in a square. It now has a

bunch oF square creases in it. Laying it out flat for a few days did no
good. Im thinking the only way to get the creases out would be to get my
wife to iron it. Is it safe to do that or will I damage the cloth? I dont
see any other options unless someone out there knows a better way. Also, as

far as attatching it to the speaker board is it ok to use 3M spray adhesive

and staple the edges or is there a better way to put this on where it will
stay nice and tight. The old one I pulled off seemed to have some kind of
adhesive on it and was stapled on the edges, but I just want to put the new

one on the best way possible ! ............Mickey

Throw it in the clothes dryer on low heat with a damp towel for a few
minutes.

Old January 5th 05, 04:56 AM
Ace

I bought that same stuff from Victory, but didn't use it. The original
cloth on my box had a very large pattern. The stuff they sell is a very
tight pattern. I was worried that the tight stuff might affect the sound,
mainly the lows. I had a reputable jukebox person tell me the same thing.

You might try going to a fabric shop and looking for a broader-pattern. If
it's not black, you can always dye it.

- Ace

Old January 5th 05, 06:20 AM
Ken G.

Nope you better go find #76 spray glue because any other # will not
stick at all and will throw the sound balance way off .

I bought the gold cloth from VG and you are right .. i had no sound at
all with it .. totaly blocked off every note so i threw the jukebox in
the dump ... you better search every fabric store from 3 states away
twice to get the right ``weave`` or you will have to visit the dump too
..

Just get some spray glue , spray it on , stretch the cloth over it add
some staples at the edges and your done :-)

Old January 6th 05, 03:58 AM
KLR

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 22:56:05 -0500, "Ace"
wrote:

I bought that same stuff from Victory, but didn't use it. The original
cloth on my box had a very large pattern. The stuff they sell is a very
tight pattern. I was worried that the tight stuff might affect the sound,
mainly the lows. I had a reputable jukebox person tell me the same thing.

You might try going to a fabric shop and looking for a broader-pattern. If
it's not black, you can always dye it.

- Ace

I don't think it would hurt the bass all that much, but it WOULD wipe
out the treble and highs a lot more

If you are worried about the acoustic transparency of any given cloth
- put a sample of it over the front of each of the speakers in turn
and see if it makes any difference.

You can do this test on home stereo speakers or whatever if its not
practcal to fire up the juke box (ie - restoration is underway and it
isnt yet playable).

If going to a fabric store - you could take a portable radio etc and
hold samples over its speaker too ?

The worst example I saw was a G-80 some years back that sounded bloody
terrible
turned out that billiard table cloth had been used for speaker grille
cloth, and it wiped out the treble like you wouldnt believe !

Replacing it with a much more open weave (more like flyscreen weave)
cloth made a huge difference and it sounded great