Hey... new to the group

Old March 5th 04, 08:05 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On 05 Mar 2004 19:42:48 GMT, (Shystev99) is alleged to have
written:

I am not really new to the group, Been here about 9 months but since everyone
is asking what we all collect I'll tell a little of my collection.
I mainly collect proof coins, Usually from 1999 (State Quarters) on till now. I
would like to move into the other proof sets but once you go down that road
there is really no going back. And right now I just don't have the money to
want to go down that road just yet. Someday though.
I also collect proof Silver eagles, again from 1999 till now. Mainly i got into
those to kind of supplement the price of my silver proof sets whenever I sell
them.
The past few months I have been getting into some foreign coins, Canadian coins
and paper currency. Both U.S. Currency and some Iraqi Dinars for right now.

But overall proof coins or silver proof sets seem to be my passion. And for
some unknown reason whenever I buy graded coins I only buy PCGS PR69 coins. I
won't buy any other grading service. I have no clue why, Maybe its just a
uniformity thing. lol
Steve

You need to start collecting pre-1936 proofs. Though you'll have great trouble
finding many PCGS PR69's. :-)

Bruce (Early proofs are fun and educational)

Old March 5th 04, 08:15 PM
PCameron

"Bruce Hickmott" wrote in message

I just started reading this NG a couple days ago. I have begun

collecting
US Mint Proof Sets particularily am looking on e-bay for Silver Proof

sets
from 1999-2002 (already have ordered 2003 sets directly from the mint).

am also interested in sets earlier than 1999 to a lesser degree.

I am also big time into collecting State Quarters.

welcome! Lot's of SQ collectors here, you'll fit right in.

Just got an Ohio P with a COOL die crack on the reverse. Looks like

someone
shooting at the flyer.

Cool. I just got an Ohio-P PCGS MS68 myself.

I have only started collecting coins since January of this year. My parents
bought me a 2003 proof set for Christmas and I am now officially "into it".

I am a little confused by the value of some of these coins. Don't get me
wrong... I collect because I like to have them but I am not above making
some cash on the side either. The Ohio-P I just bought is listed for $55.00
on the PCGS web site. The price was 29.50 and I got it for 27.50

What I don't understand is I have seen an Illinois-P MS67 selling for $170
dollars. Why would an MS67 be so significantly more valuable than an MS68?
The Ohio is a 2002 and the Illinois is a 2003. Both coins are on the low
side in terms of number produced. The Ohio is actually marginally more rare
than the Illinois (217,200,000 vs 225,800,000)

Anyone have any idea?

Old March 5th 04, 08:23 PM
Shystev99

You need to start collecting pre-1936 proofs. Though you'll have great
trouble
finding many PCGS PR69's. :-)

Well I have been thinking of looking into getting atleast 1 if not more Proof
Peace Dollars. I really like the design of that coin and don't have any yet.
For some reason the design of the morgan dollars to me seems kind of bland.
I'd just want 1 of any year to have, preferably a proof but I'd settle for a MS
coin as well. That's been on my mind but I just keep pushing it farther and
farther down the list.
I'd have to really sit down and research the stuff from the 30's before i buy
anything.That's an era I've never really researched at all, Mainly because most
of the proof coins from that era are probably out of my price range anyway.
I'll atleast look into it though, Thanks for the advice
Steve
Old March 5th 04, 08:30 PM
Bob Flaminio

PCameron wrote:
Cool. I just got an Ohio-P PCGS MS68 myself.

Schweeeeeeettt....

[...]

Welcome to the world of the PCGS. To understand why you're seeing such
prices, you need to look at the pop reports for those quarters:

OH-P in MS68: 1407 with 34 higher (all 69s, no 70s)
IL-P in MS67: 112 with 11 higher (all 68s, no 69s or 70s)

Your PCGS MS68 OH-P is one of 1,407 examples -- in short, everyone and
their mother has one. Hence, the low price. However, it seems that high
grade IL-Ps are hard to make -- only 112 in 67, a scant 11 in 68 and
none higher.

Does that help?

--
Bob

Old March 5th 04, 08:41 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On 05 Mar 2004 20:23:59 GMT, (Shystev99) is alleged to have
written:

[...]

Proof peace dollars will set you back a pretty penny. They were only made two
years, 1921 & 1922. They were made in both matte and satin finishes.

Here's an example of a 1922 Matte. He's asking a not too unreasonable price for
it:

If you watch Anaconda for a week or so, he also has a 1921 satin in an anacs
slab.

There are maybe a dozen 1921's and maybe 8 1922's. The 1922 are neat, they are
done in high relief just like the 1921's, but unlike the other 1922's.

Julian Leidman had a 1922 High Relief grading VF that just might have been a
business strike. So MAYBE some high relief 1922's were released into
circulation.

There are some people who feel that the Satin proofs are really first strikes.
Maybe.

Bruce

Old March 5th 04, 08:43 PM
Shystev99

What I don't understand is I have seen an Illinois-P MS67 selling for $170
dollars. Why would an MS67 be so significantly more valuable than an MS68?

Well I may be wrong so if I am I hope someone corrects me.
But one of the main reasons a MS67 coin may be worth more than a MS68 on a
grading services website would be because of whats called the "Population
Report" for that coin and that grade.
If PCGS grades and reports say for example
100 MS68's
and
83 MS67's
In the real sales world naturally the higher graded coin would get more $$. BUT
since you are reading the price list from the PCGS website, They are basing the
value more on the fact that there are fewer MS67's than there are MS68's so
since the MS67's although graded lower are technically a more rare coin. And
since it's more rare that pushes the value up.

In some cases MS69 Coins are worth more than MS70 coins which is a perfect
coin. But the MS69 will bring in more money because there may only be a small
handful of them graded. Where there may be more 70's
But keep in mind each grading service has their own population reports so just
because an MS67 is worth more than a 68 at the PCGS site doesn't mean it will
cost the same at say the NGC website.

I never really go by what prices grading services give the coins, Personally I
think the best and easiest way to find out the true value of a coin is to go on
say ebay and look at completed auctions to see what people are willing to pay
for it.That should give you a rough average price of whatever coin you are
looking at, Just keep grading service in mind when you do it.
You could have coin that on paper may be worth $500 but fact is if you can't
find anybody willing to pay that price for it then is the coin really worth
that?

Again I may be wrong so anybody who wants to correct me feel free.
Steve
Old March 5th 04, 08:47 PM
Shystev99

Here's an example of a 1922 Matte. He's asking a not too unreasonable price
for
it:

Thanks for the link,
Think I'll pass on that until I win the lotto though. lol
Steve
Old March 5th 04, 09:15 PM
Dale Hallmark

[...]

Ahhhhh! So that blob over her eye that I have always wondered about is
flowing hair!
I see it now ;-)

Dale

Old March 5th 04, 10:37 PM
Ed Hendricks

"Bob Flaminio" wrote in message

PCameron wrote:
[...]

Keep in mind that those pop reports are only for coins graded by PCGS. It
doesn't take into account those graded by other services or the millions of
coins out there in mint state (primarily in Mint Sets) that have been graded
by no one. :-) In other words there may be thousands (or even hundreds of
thousands) of those same coins in MS68 or above out there just waiting to be
entombed. When all of those are submitted for encapsulation, those
population reports (and values based on it) aren't going to be worth spit.
:-)

--
Ed Hendricks
ANA# R178621