Missing Lithuanian stamps in Scott Catalogue?

Old April 8th 04, 11:10 AM
Mette

Default Missing Lithuanian stamps in Scott Catalogue?

I am at present working on my Lithuanian collection, and have noticed that
some of the first issues after the liberation in 1990 seem not listed in
Scott (at least not in my 1999 edition). Year 1940 stops at # 322, and then
comes the first listing for 1991 (# 400). But the first stamps of the
Lithuanian republic were issued in 1990, so compared with Michel 19 numbers
are missing.

According to Michel the "missing stamps" a 1991, Michel 457 - 485. The
missing stamps are not semi-postals or otherwise "special" stamps, so they
are not listed separately (I have checked, just for the good of it!) I have
all the missing stamps, both as singles and on cover, as well as they are
included in the official Lithuanian yearsets.

Are they listed in later issues of Scott? If yes, could someone help me
with the catalogue numbers, please? If images are needed, I can easily
upload them with Michel numbers for easy identification.

I'd be most grateful if someone can shed light on this mystery.
Thanks :-)
--
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)
return address invalid - contact me through

Old April 8th 04, 03:54 PM
Jay T. Carrigan

My latest Scott is 2001 and they're not in there.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Scott's position is that
these stamps are illegals, since at the time of issue Lithuania was
still part of the Soviet Union and Soviet stamps were still sold at
post offices and were valid for postage.

Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
www.jaypex.com

In article ,
says...

Old April 8th 04, 04:17 PM
Mette

"Jay T. Carrigan" skrev i en meddelelse
My latest Scott is 2001 and they're not in there.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Scott's position is that
these stamps are illegals, since at the time of issue Lithuania was
still part of the Soviet Union and Soviet stamps were still sold at
post offices and were valid for postage.

Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
www.jaypex.com

Thanks a lot, Jay. I think that clarifies the problem. One thing I can say
for sure is that they are not illegals, but that for short period of time
both Soviet and Lithuanian stamps were permitted as "mixed franking". I
have several such covers, sent registered or by ordinary post from Lithuania
to Denmark. On another note, there were several currencies during a fairly
short period. The first Lithuanian stamps after 1990 were in
Ruble-denomination, then came the Talonas (transitional currency), and later
the present currency Litas. The stamps I am speaking about here were in
Rubles and Talonas, and are no longer valid for postage.

Mette

In article ,
says...

Old April 8th 04, 07:20 PM
Chris Doran

(Jay T. Carrigan) wrote in message news:IIddc.219313$Cb.1916404@attbi_s51...
My latest Scott is 2001 and they're not in there.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Scott's position is that
these stamps are illegals, since at the time of issue Lithuania was
still part of the Soviet Union and Soviet stamps were still sold at
post offices and were valid for postage.

Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
www.jaypex.com

Perhaps we should take you up on your offer to upload a few piccies,
Mette. SG, which us usually pretty fussy about validity, certainly
includes some stamps in 1990-1991. But without Michel or images it's
difficult to tell whether they agree with Scott.

The cataloguers must have had great amusement in restarting these
"finished" countries after 50 years.

Chris

In article ,

says...

Old April 8th 04, 09:45 PM
Mette

"Chris Doran" skrev i en meddelelse
.com...

- big snip -

Perhaps we should take you up on your offer to upload a few piccies,
Mette. SG, which us usually pretty fussy about validity, certainly
includes some stamps in 1990-1991. But without Michel or images it's
difficult to tell whether they agree with Scott.

The cataloguers must have had great amusement in restarting these
"finished" countries after 50 years.

Chris et al,
Here you are :-)

http://www.metteshoebox.frac.dk/fram...nia1990-91.htm

They should all be there for your convenience.

Old April 8th 04, 10:46 PM
Gordon Lee

"Mette" wrote:
"Chris Doran" skrev i:

- big snip -

Perhaps we should take you up on your offer to upload
a few piccies, Mette. SG, which us usually pretty fussy
about validity, certainly includes some stamps in 1990-1991.
But without Michel or images it's difficult to tell whether they
agree with Scott.

The cataloguers must have had great amusement in
restarting these "finished" countries after 50 years.

Chris et al,
Here you are :-)

http://www.metteshoebox.frac.dk/fram...nia1990-91.htm

They should all be there for your convenience.
--
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)

Greetings Ms. Heindorff.
..
I may be mistaken, but isn't Michel #484-485 the same as Scott #398-399?
..
Respectfully,

Gordon Lee
Great Fritain Royal Memorabilia & Scott-less in Seattle Emporium
Nothing in life prepares you for your first raw oyster.

Old April 8th 04, 11:16 PM
Mette

"Gordon Lee" skrev i en meddelelse

- big snip -

Greetings Ms. Heindorff.
.
I may be mistaken, but isn't Michel #484-485 the same as Scott #398-399?

Greetings, Sir Gordon,
I honestly don't know. Scott # 398-399 don't exist in my Scott
(1999 edition). The last pre-war stamp listed is 1940/ #322 and
the first modern stamp listed is 1991/ #400. The large "gap" in the
listings was the reason for my original question.

Mette

Old April 8th 04, 11:52 PM
Gordon Lee

"Mette" wrote:
"Gordon Lee" skrev:

- big snip -

Greetings Ms. Heindorff.
.
I may be mistaken, but isn't Michel #484-485 the same as
Scott #398-399?

Greetings, Sir Gordon,
I honestly don't know. Scott # 398-399 don't exist in my
Scott (1999 edition). The last pre-war stamp listed is
1940/ #322 and the first modern stamp listed is 1991/ #400.
The large "gap" in the listings was the reason for my original
question.

Mette

Greetings Ms Heindorff.
..
Ah-ha ... the secret must lay betwixt the two. What? One being the Scott
1999 edition and the Scott 2004 edition. At least a couple of the secrets.
I should have addressed my original response, not as a question, but as a
statement -- Or -- I should have stated my original response as a question
not addressed to you (the person asking the original question), but the
rcsd'ers at-large. (Not that I'm implying rcsd'er are large -- well, maybe
a couple of them are big-boned.)
..
Anyway, I saw the 398 and 399 numbers in a 2003 Scott Catalogue. I've no
access to the book, so I can not verify.
..
There are a couple of others stamps shown that I would like to learn their
Scott number. If they are illegal, they made into this country riding on
the outside of an envelope.
..
Respectfully,

Gordon Lee
Great Fritain Royal Memorabilia & White Knight Vytis Emporium
A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, which must be followed
by approximately 577,230 more steps.

Old April 9th 04, 02:41 AM
Chris Doran

"Mette" wrote in message t...
"Chris Doran" skrev i en meddelelse
.com...

- big snip -

Perhaps we should take you up on your offer to upload a few piccies,
Mette. SG, which us usually pretty fussy about validity, certainly
includes some stamps in 1990-1991. But without Michel or images it's
difficult to tell whether they agree with Scott.

The cataloguers must have had great amusement in restarting these
"finished" countries after 50 years.

Chris et al,
Here you are :-)

http://www.metteshoebox.frac.dk/fram...nia1990-91.htm

They should all be there for your convenience.

Not what Mette wants, I know, but for the benefit of anyone else ...,
they're all in SG:-
Michel SG
457-465 456-464
472 465
473 482
466/467 466/467
?/? 468/469 (40k/50k)
468 470
? 471 (100k)
469 472
? 473 (500k)
474 476
478-485 487-494

(no guarantees I got all that right!)

After typing all that I had a sudden déja vu feeling, and behold:
http://www.raster.it/stefano/a/stamps/stamps261-270.htm

Chris
Old April 9th 04, 05:27 AM
MAGICBARON

I have the 2004 Scott catalogue, which now has modern Lithuania starting at
number 371 (Oct. 1990 issue). It's preceded by the following note: "Nos.
371-399 were issued before the Soviet Union recognized the independence of
Lithuania on Sept. 6, 1991, but were available and valid for use after that
date."
--Dave