collection software

Old February 4th 05, 03:16 PM
ECK

Default collection software

I know a few collectors and I am a software developer. What i need to
know is if there is good software out there for coin collectors? Do
collectors want better software? What kind of program would collectors
and dealers want that they cant get? I would like to write one for the
industry if there is a demand.

Thank you.

Old February 4th 05, 03:32 PM
Cliff

On 4 Feb 2005 07:16:05 -0800, "ECK" wrote:

I know a few collectors and I am a software developer. What i need to
know is if there is good software out there for coin collectors? Do
collectors want better software? What kind of program would collectors
and dealers want that they cant get? I would like to write one for the
industry if there is a demand.

Thank you.

As a collector I'd want a program that would keep track of my
collection, that would go online to ebay and look for coins that I'm
missing, ask me to look at the auctions it picks and then snipes the
auctions at a price I want to pay and if I win, automatically pays via
pay pal and then post a notice to me of what it did. Further, it
would scour the internet looking for updated prices on the coins that
I have and would update all coin values at least once a month and
would display the new prices plus all the old prices and would
indicate price increases or decreases and would note when a certain
coin was headed up and would notify me to see if I wanted to see at
that level or buy more. Further, if I told it to sell, it would
interface with ebay turbolister and upload the auction the auction for
me. Further, it would provide pictures of all my coins, and list
when, where and much much the coin was obtained.
Cliff

Old February 4th 05, 04:27 PM
Moses Horwitz

ECK wrote:

I know a few collectors and I am a software developer. What i need to
know is if there is good software out there for coin collectors? Do
collectors want better software? What kind of program would collectors
and dealers want that they cant get? I would like to write one for the
industry if there is a demand.

Thank you.

I use Microsoft Excel. It's flexible, customizable and easy to learn.

JAM
Old February 4th 05, 05:15 PM
Numismatist

I know a few collectors and I am a software developer. What i need to
know is if there is good software out there for coin collectors? Do
collectors want better software? What kind of program would collectors
and dealers want that they cant get? I would like to write one for the
industry if there is a demand.

Thank you.

I use FileMakerPro database program and Excel. It made it to fit my needs as
there are programs out there that I am sure work fine, but I use a Mac, and
there is very little available for my chosen platform.

Old February 4th 05, 06:49 PM
Eric Babula

"ECK" wrote in
oups.com:

I know a few collectors and I am a software developer. What i need
to know is if there is good software out there for coin collectors?
Do collectors want better software? What kind of program would
collectors and dealers want that they cant get? I would like to
write one for the industry if there is a demand.

Thank you.

Two of the better-known coin software programs are CoinManage
(www.libertystreet.com) and Coin Elite (www.trovesoftware.com). I ran
thru the trial versions of each, and will probably settle on CoinManage,
if/when I decide to buy. There are many other packages out there - Coin
Collector's Assistant Plus, Coin Keeper, Coin Organizer, Smart Tracker
Coins, Collect!, Organize Your Coin Collection, Pro-Coin 2005, etc. -
ebaY has a ton of different ones for sale, too.

Your best bet would be to research all of the programs out there (time
to do a web search) to see what's available and what they can or can't
do. Then, discuss the pros and cons of each, along with other wish-list
items, with your coin-collecting friends, and maybe here at RCC, if
anyone would care to get involved in this project. Then, maybe you can
come up with something even better than what's available.

Every person has different needs. I don't even know what all my needs
are, yet. I'll probably buy CoinManage (well, I might have to check out
some of the new ones on the market), and see if it fills all my needs or
not. I did the same with my Genealogy software - tried out the trial
versions of about 15 programs, settled on the one that I thought was the
best, and came to realize that I really need more than one program to do
all the things I wanted it to do.

Good luck! Keep us informed on how it's going.

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Old February 4th 05, 10:24 PM
Moses Horwitz

Every person has different needs. I don't even know what all my needs
are, yet. I'll probably buy CoinManage (well, I might have to check out
some of the new ones on the market), and see if it fills all my needs or
not. I did the same with my Genealogy software - tried out the trial
versions of about 15 programs, settled on the one that I thought was the
best, and came to realize that I really need more than one program to do
all the things I wanted it to do.

Good luck! Keep us informed on how it's going.

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

That's the problem I have had with the caned programs. They are someone else's idea of how your collection should be arranged and they limit the functions, inputs and outputs.

JAM
Old February 4th 05, 11:21 PM
gogu

Ο "Eric Babula" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
0...
"ECK" wrote in
oups.com:

I know a few collectors and I am a software developer. What i need
to know is if there is good software out there for coin collectors?
Do collectors want better software? What kind of program would
collectors and dealers want that they cant get? I would like to
write one for the industry if there is a demand.

Thank you.

Two of the better-known coin software programs are CoinManage
(www.libertystreet.com) and Coin Elite (www.trovesoftware.com). I ran
thru the trial versions of each, and will probably settle on CoinManage,
if/when I decide to buy.

Hello Eric!
I am keeping track of my collection with CoinManage.
The first version I purchased (that was around 2002) was quite buggy.
Late 2004 I purchased the newer 2004 version and it is quite an improvement
as interface and some new futures.
But again there is one small problem: when you introduce a picture of your
coin and you want to keep the pictures' window in the same size for all your
coins (small/big coins), some coins have horizontal and vertical lines, just
like in a millimetre page. The developer who is a very nice person said me
they know about this problem and they will fix it in the newer version.
Other than that it is indeed a very nice program. Just a tad time-consuming
introducing countries/denominations they are not included in its database.

rgrds

PS
Could you please give us some insight about the genealogy software
you've tried ?
Thanks.

--
E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi

http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html
http://www.romclub.4t.com/rabin.html

Old February 5th 05, 01:49 AM
Moses Horwitz

Eric Babula wrote:

Moses Horwitz "Moses wrote in
:

That's the problem I have had with the caned programs. They are
someone else's idea of how your collection should be arranged and
they limit the functions, inputs and outputs.

JAM

Yeah, but, I'm not a programmer, and don't want to spend the time trying
to figure out how to make a better program for myself. So, I'll just
find the one that most closely matches my 'needs', and then adjust my
'needs'.

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

I can evolve!

Ya don't have to be a programer to figure out Excel, just curious.

JAM
not a programer
Old February 5th 05, 02:56 AM
linxlvr

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 07:16:05 -0800, ECK wrote:

I know a few collectors and I am a software developer. What i need to
know is if there is good software out there for coin collectors? Do
collectors want better software? What kind of program would collectors
and dealers want that they cant get? I would like to write one for the
industry if there is a demand.

Thank you.

I'm happy with a program I use called Tellico. It is free. Although I am
getting closer to just using a spread sheet, (of course mine wouln't be
excell, it would be open office)

-- DW

Old February 5th 05, 04:59 AM
Eric Babula

Moses Horwitz "Moses wrote in news:42042623.478541F6
@pgh.net:

Ya don't have to be a programer to figure out Excel, just curious.

JAM
not a programer

Yeah, but I want my coin software to do a lot of things, and I don't want
to take the time to try to make Excel do what I want it to.

Eric Babula
Milwaukee, WI USA

I'm lazy.